Favorite sets/reps for effective hypertrophy/strength hybrid

jathan_howe

Awards
Title. For those of you who simultaneously train for strength and size, what's your favorite set/rep scheme? Bonus points for your personal routine for it.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For me i feel the best gains both strength and size wise with powerbuilding. Main lifts you use powerlifting style for main lifts 5x5, 6x4 or my favorite (2x5 2x3 2x2 all for one lift) then for support lifts you use bodybuilding style training like 3or4x12-15. Most everyone that trians like this(had to convince some to do it) say they made there best gains while doing this. Now things completely change if you are on gear. However if you are natural i firmly believe this is the best way to train.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Title. For those of you who simultaneously train for strength and size, what's your favorite set/rep scheme? Bonus points for your personal routine for it.
Made most of my gains using BW exercises like pull ups, chin ups, Dips, elevated push ups and DB exercises -doing rest pause sets (10 sec pauses between sets), like:
Chin ups:
13 rp 6 rp 4
pause 40-60sec.
10 rp 5 rp 3
pause 40-60sec.
8 rp 3 rp 2

Doing this with ALL exercises, still doing it. Also touching each muscle group twice a week, doing different exercises.

jathan_howe

Awards
Made most of my gains using BW exercises like pull ups, chin ups, Dips, elevated push ups and DB exercises -doing rest pause sets (10 sec pauses between sets), like:
Chin ups:
13 rp 6 rp 4
pause 40-60sec.
10 rp 5 rp 3
pause 40-60sec.
8 rp 3 rp 2

Doing this with ALL exercises, still doing it. Also touching each muscle group twice a week, doing different exercises.
I love dips but they almost always destroy my shoulders

jathan_howe

Awards
For me i feel the best gains both strength and size wise with powerbuilding. Main lifts you use powerlifting style for main lifts 5x5, 6x4 or my favorite (2x5 2x3 2x2 all for one lift) then for support lifts you use bodybuilding style training like 3or4x12-15. Most everyone that trians like this(had to convince some to do it) say they made there best gains while doing this. Now things completely change if you are on gear. However if you are natural i firmly believe this is the best way to train.
You think 3x3, 4x3, 3x4, or 4x4 for my main lift, accompanied by 3x8, 4x6, 2x10, etc. on accessories would be good?

daltonlee

daltonlee

Awards
From my personal experience I always switch up my workouts every week. I also strictly keep my rep range 6-12, pyramid sets are a great way to do this. If you want to get a good mix,
First set=10-12 reps
Second set=8-10
Third set=8-10
4th set=6-8
I typically use drop sets depending on the particular exercise like curls or flys because you typically use a higher rep range for those so I can you a heavy weight, but then drop set to a lighter weight.
And lastly do the heaviest lift that is usually incorporated on whatever muscle you work that day first. An example is on chest day your heavy lift would be chest, Or on back day it could be DB or barbell rows. I hope this helped some!