Squat question

jathan_howe

Awards
Hey guys! I had a question about my squats.
When I first started squatting, our lifting coach corrected my friend and I's form. He said we were going too deep (I'd rather go too deep than not deep enough though) and he'd correct us whenever we went much below parallel. Anyways, this lead to my partner and I not squatting as low and before you know it, we weren't hitting parallel. My partner had always told me I was hitting correct depth but his idea of parallel was a fair bit off. I could squat about 240 for two or three for my "max" but it was a bit above parallel. Not one of those extremely badcases where they barely even bend their knees and call it a squat, but still not parallel either. My plan is to lower the weight (maybe ~135 or so) and focus more on training depth and building back up. An idea how long this would take? I know strength comes back quick when you've lost it, but in this case I haven't exactly lost strength. I want to restart with weight and hit the rest of the full range of motion. Since the majority of the ROM is trained and adapted, would the untrained portion -being my limiting factor- take full time to be brought up to par since it was never trained up to par in the first place (which makes me feel this will rule out any kind of strength regain, since I'm basically starting over from the beginning and only progressing as fast as hitting the new depth allows)? My second and final question is, since that part of my ROM is relatively untrained, could I expect noob-gains-esque speed of strength gain? That'd be nice as it would help me get back to and above my "max" while actually going parallel this time around

Pops23

Pops23

Awards
When I corrected my form I started off low at 70%. What helped me the most to hit below parallel was pointing my feet slightly more out, focusing on pushing out my knees(a.k.a spreading the gooch if you would), and keeping my leverage locked in on my upper back. Also strength will come easily once you get it down. Watch your knees coming out of the hole and make sure they stay in the same path and don't shake inward

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The answer as to time is...it just depends. It took me a year to take what I thought was 405 4-5 more inches to a legit through parallel squat. At those weights I would hazard that it will be much more rapid a process. And I would definitely expect increase glute and ham development, again basically hinging on your genetics.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
From what I read I believe you can be back to your present PR in 3-4 months and probably progress to a new PR shortly after that. Your Hams and Glutes should also develop more with in increased depth. It should be a win-win in all departments. You will be glad to took this step !!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was at 315x4-5 at above parallel when I knew I needed to correct depth. I'd say it was 2-3 months before I was at that below parallel and then some. My max single was 370 (high) and I hit 405 below within 6 months.

In short, it won't take long.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Shouldn't take more than a few months. If it's ok to make a suggestion: pause squats and start from the bottom off the rack squats helped everyone I know who needed to correct squat depth - it might work for you too....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 24
Training Forum 7
Training Forum 4
rspctble_gain Training Forum 10
Training Forum 15