Leg growth

Bigbank1401

Bigbank1401

Awards
Whats up Bros? I just made a little wager with a friend for a little bit of change that I can bring my legs up by next August, need some advice. They are behind in development when compared to my upper body. Any suggestions on routines and supplementation would be appreciated.

bstabz

bstabz

Awards
Skwaattttt heavy
Romanian deadlift
Leg extensions
Leg curls

Don't forget to stretch after.

Don't even worry about supps. Just eat a lot of clean foods.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man i wish i could figure this out to. I mean i squat 500 pounds and deadlifted 555 but i have very average sizes legs at best. Ive tried every type of training you can think of to they just wont grow. Get more tone and add strength sure, size no. Weird thing though is my calves grow easily.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man i wish i could figure this out to. I mean i squat 500 pounds and deadlifted 555 but i have very average sizes legs at best. Ive tried every type of training you can think of to they just wont grow. Get more tone and add strength sure, size no. Weird thing though is my calves grow easily.
Got vid of yourself squatting 500lbs?

Bigbank1401

Bigbank1401

Awards
I was thinking more like hack squats, leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls for hams, standing and seated calf raises.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got vid of yourself squatting 500lbs?
I wish! I never thought i was going to hit that number or i would have brought my phone to have a vid. I will say i was cheating i was wearing lifting suit and a super nice belt that my friend let my borrow. Raw im guessesing would be 455 465ish.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another vote for the back squat.

I was thinking more like hack squats, leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls for hams, standing and seated calf raises.
Sure, they target legs and will build size. I am certainly not a big fan of hacks squats, as they always made my knees feel like I had tooth decay in them. And if you have not focused much on them/lower body, any/work will be better than not doing much.
To add, loading the spine with say BB squatting and some hamstring work, via heavy pulling, IMO ties glutes etc./it all together and not only builds mass, builds strength, power, lung and work capacity, along with overall fitness that seated or machine or iso work does not necessarily duplicate.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I wish! I never thought i was going to hit that number or i would have brought my phone to have a vid. I will say i was cheating i was wearing lifting suit and a super nice belt that my friend let my borrow. Raw im guessesing would be 455 465ish.
That's impressive bro. I can only say if you want to focus on hypertrophy drop the weight a little and aim for 15-20 reps as heavy as possible. No choice but to grow

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's impressive bro. I can only say if you want to focus on hypertrophy drop the weight a little and aim for 15-20 reps as heavy as possible. No choice but to grow
Thats what im doing now and i dont think they gotten much bigger. And also for my upperbody i grow like crazy with strength training.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats what im doing now and i dont think they gotten much bigger. And also for my upperbody i grow like crazy with strength training.
Then you're not eating enough to facilitate growth or you're not training with high enough ntensity.

Getting bigger is pretty simple. Train intense and eat. Simple is.not always easy...

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Then you're not eating enough to facilitate growth or you're not training with high enough ntensity.

Getting bigger is pretty simple. Train intense and eat. Simple is.not always easy...
Well im definitely eating enough, as im growing upperbody like crazy and also im getting little fat, and my workout intensity is high and i am gaining strength pretty fast too, even at 15-20 rep range. Every seems to have there stubborn body part to get to grow, be it calves, traps, biceps. For me i grow those muscles like weeds, especially my chest but my legs have never seem to want to get bigger.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well im definitely eating enough, as im growing upperbody like crazy and also im getting little fat, and my workout intensity is high and i am gaining strength pretty fast too, even at 15-20 rep range. Every seems to have there stubborn body part to get to grow, be it calves, traps, biceps. For me i grow those muscles like weeds, especially my chest but my legs have never seem to want to get bigger.
Frequency may be the next step if you have that covered and/or Splitting them up.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Splitting them up isnt something ive done, definitely will consider.
It's will allow you to lift heavier also, I probably hit 20ish sets for each quads/hams. I was doing 3 day a week for a little while during prep with 3rd day being glutes.

Was solid until cardio kept creeping up and I couldn't recover.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's will allow you to lift heavier also, I probably hit 20ish sets for each quads/hams. I was doing 3 day a week for a little while during prep with 3rd day being glutes.

Was solid until cardio kept creeping up and I couldn't recover.
I should add that my legs arent the trouble muscle group. My quads are, im very hamstring and glute dominant. My legs in general do grow slower then the rest but they do grow, my quads on the other hand dont grow.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I should add that my legs arent the trouble muscle group. My quads are, im very hamstring and glute dominant. My legs in general do grow slower then the rest but they do grow, my quads on the other hand dont grow.
Problem solved. Add in foam rolling and extreme stretching (search dogg crapp extreme stretch) and you're good to go

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Problem solved. Add in foam rolling and extreme stretching (search dogg crapp extreme stretch) and you're good to go
Widow maker drop set to a 1-2 minute DC quad stretch might be the best/worst feeling in the world.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Front squats, 10rm and rest-pause so you get 50 reps per session. Should double as your cardio, too :D

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I squat 475+ and my legs aren't much for size. Not small, but not huge.

I'd try occlusion leg extensions and occlusion somersault squats for reps to increase quad size. High rep leg presses and hack squats too.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think squating is key for leg growth.
Body builders start shying away from squats before anything else.
You want legs that just for looking good then body build.
High bar squats for reps probably would help.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But I squat only 415.
I just started to desire strength not looks.
My legs have got smaller doing 5,3,1.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If quads are the issue, rotate between front and back squats every 3 or so weeks as the main movement. Toss out both leg extensions and leg curls; they're inefficient and put your energy towards solely compound movements. Basically, it's variations of three movements: squat, deadlift, and lunge. Train them all twice per week at varying intensities and volume.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Heavy weights/high reps:
Squats
Straight leg dedz

Then light weights for high reps and tons of sets.
Like 5 heavy x 12
8 light x 15

Guaranteed :)

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
If quads are the issue, rotate between front and back squats every 3 or so weeks as the main movement. Toss out both leg extensions and leg curls; they're inefficient and put your energy towards solely compound movements. Basically, it's variations of three movements: squat, deadlift, and lunge. Train them all twice per week at varying intensities and volume.
This and go slow on the high rep days

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As mentioned, overall volume is very important for growth.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Cadence really doesn't matter that much. Overall volume and frequency are more important and a slow cadence reduces these.
I always make it a point to train legs hard, but due to some upper body injuries I am focusing on legs alot more now. I can without a doubt hit more reps if I go faster, if I do slow reps on the heavy weights it significantly reduces my total rep output. The faster reps would be more beneficial?

I guess my thoughts were the negative aspect of the slower reps were what reduced the reps...

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I like how most guys didn't bring up calves. I measure my calves and try to keep them the same size as my arms so I look symmetrical. I do work quads and hamstrings, but I beat up my calves like they owe me money

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always make it a point to train legs hard, but due to some upper body injuries I am focusing on legs alot more now. I can without a doubt hit more reps if I go faster, if I do slow reps on the heavy weights it significantly reduces my total rep output. The faster reps would be more beneficial?

I guess my thoughts were the negative aspect of the slower reps were what reduced the reps...
The eccentric should be controlled, but not intentionally slowed down. I know that are some are more comfortable with a slower negative compared to others, but that's a different story.

Control the eccentric and emphasize bar speed on the concentric. Data on slow eccentric is mixed, but bar speed has shown only positive results.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like how most guys didn't bring up calves. I measure my calves and try to keep them the same size as my arms so I look symmetrical. I do work quads and hamstrings, but I beat up my calves like they owe me money
When I think of a physique the projects overall strength and power, the 3 areas are traps, glutes, calves. When those areas are developed, it appears much stronger than if any of them are missing.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The eccentric should be controlled, but not intentionally slowed down. I know that are some are more comfortable with a slower negative compared to others, but that's a different story.

Control the eccentric and emphasize bar speed on the concentric. Data on slow eccentric is mixed, but bar speed has shown only positive results.
Ok cool. Will do. Thanks. Now that i think of it when I put heavier weights on the bar I tend to slow it down a little more to feel it out, especially on the first rep.