Enough Volume? PT Program set for me

tian0020

Awards
Hi all,

Just started my latest program set by a PT and wondered your thoughts. 2 days on, 1 day off continue. Just wondered what your thoughts were on it and if it would work for you? It's an Upper/Lower split, failure training focusing on hypertrophy. I won't discuss diet or cycle etc:

Upper
Bench Press - 3 x 9
Incline Flyes (Dumbbell) 1 x 12
Bench Press Decline 2 x 12
Weighted Wide Chin Ups - 3 x 12
Cross-Bench Pullovers - 1 x 12
Bent over barbell rows - 3 x 12
Lateral raises - 3 x 9
Barbell arm curls - 1 x 12
Concentration curls - 1 x 12
Triceps dips - 1 x 12
Barbell triceps extension - 2 x 12

90 second rest in between sets

Lower 1
Deadlifts 4 x 10
One leg lunges - 3 x 12
Leg Extensions - 4 x 12
Lying Leg Curls - 4 x 12
Standing Calf raises - 3 x 15
Vertical leg crunches - 4 x 15

Lower 2
Full Squats 4 x 12
Lunges - 3 x 12
Straight Leg Deadlifts 4 x 10
Standing Barbell Calf raises 4 x 12
Vertical leg crunches - 4 x 15

Let me know your thoughts as the PT recommends the Upper/Lower more than the Push/pull/legs or the single muscle group splits for hypertrophy

Cheers,
Christian

JP10

JP10

Awards
I like the lower days, but hate the upper day. I think push/pull/legs would be more effective. I just feel that the upper day he recommends is so much packed into one day, not saying that it wouldn't work or anything along those line, just not a fan of it. I don't think you would get as much growth out of it compared to push/pull/legs. I train back/bi->chest->arms->legs->shoulder/tri repeat. So I definitely have a different perspective than your trainer. I also think it has to do with the level that you are training at.

So to sum all this nonsense up:
If you just started working out the upper/lower split will do fine, and you will see results just work your @ss off during each body part as you rotate through your upper day.

If you have been working out for a more considerable amount of time(intermediate) I would say push/pull/legs would be more effective than upper lower

If you consider yourself to be advance, you should know what works best for you.

tian0020

Awards
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply.

I've always like the Push Pull Legs which is why it's strange the PT has set me this. I've been lifting for 6 years (31 now! grey etc...) with low body fat and defined. Max bench is 102.5kg with the squat at 150kg so feel like an intermediate more than a beginner (I;m 5 10" and 11st 11lbs).

I think i'll propose the PPL again and see what the outcome is.

Thanks again.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
I think upper/lower split can be great for an intermediate lifter. I've had great results with an upper/ lower split after years of lifting. I actually had really good results with Lyle McDonald's generic bulking routine with just a few tweaks about a year ago (and that's a really basic upper lower routine

JP10

JP10

Awards
Just to clarify, I'm not against upper lower. I think you can get great results if done right. Just was going off my experience, and what I prefer.

And always happy to help!

tian0020

Awards
Cheers Pal,

To be honest, I had preferred the PPL schedule when I was doing it as it allowed more frequency. I had favoured the Legs, push, pull, rest, legs, push, pull, rest, so days off would change.