RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Challenge Time 3:

Deadlift Challenge—What to Do:

This shouldn’t need to be said, but since some numbskull will no doubt jump into Sadiv sets completely cold, it’s necessary. If you don’t have a pre-workout routine that encompasses foam rolling, mobility work, and activation exercises, at the very minimum perform the following warm-up sets.

Properly warm-up by doing ramp sets of three reps, focusing on maximum speed up to 50% of your 1RM.

For Example: Max=465 pounds; 465x0.30=135x3, 465x0.4=185x3, 465x0.5= 235x3

Set a timer for 12 minutes and load the bar with 60% of your 1RM. Using the example of a 465-pound max, this would be about 280 pounds.

Perform each rep as a single, resetting between each rep and pulling with perfect form. This means taking the slack out of the bar, keeping your hips back, your back flat, your chin down, and driving your heels into the earth.

Perform each rep with maximum speed from the floor—leg drive is key!

Perform as many reps as possible during the 12-minute span, shooting for a minimum of 20 reps. If you can’t get 20 “good” reps, decrease the weight!

Waddle over to the water fountain, chug down some water (if you can stomach it), and curl up in the fetal position.
Whatever your rep scheme is, whether it’s 4x6, 8x3, or 20x1, knocking out 20+ speed reps at 60% of your 1RM deadlift in 12 minutes is a ton of volume in a short period of time. This creates plenty of muscle building tension as well as metabolic distress to dramatically alter body composition.

Borrowed from here:

Sadistic Strength Methods: Sadiv Sets / Elite FTS

I stole the mentions from Hairygranpa. Thanks for doing the work.

I've only done this once and I think I hit 320x36. I'll have to re-check my log.

Sparkss : ???? sparks2012 : 126 Alpha1agreda : ???? lifted67 : ???? UncleSarm : ???? smith_69 : ???? bighulksmash : ???? CJNator :???? Tank999: ???? BamBam0319: ???? MrKleen73: ???? THE MONSTAR : ???? Thiefcatcher :???? Gutterpump :???? HIT4ME :???? thebigt : ???? RegisterJr :??? wasme :???? Jebrook :???? Toren :???? DennisTheDane : ???? Captn_the :???? NutraChem :???? ax1 :???? Famine :???? Rocket3015 :???? jakz :???? Volvo140G :???? Hastur :???? lukehayd :???? Dma378 :???? EMPIREMIND: ????
all unlisted too!

Video proof may be required if numbers are astronomical...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't deadlift anymore due to herniated disc... haven't for years :(

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Both of my knees are fugged, but I may try it anyway, doing them sort of stiff-legged, if it's permitted. My personal record was 1 rep at 450lbs, but it was almost 6 month ago.
This would be 270lbs challenge weight.
Give me some days rest and pre-loading time on anti-inflammatory's for the challenge.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Ok ok. You got me. Next back day. In for the pain. In for the gain!

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
Struggling with lower back issues going on three months now, maybe not the best challenge for me ha. Hoping to make plans to visit a chiropractor or massage therapist soon

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Oh damn. Looks like my record is pre-loaded @ 126 reps for the deads! I'll take it!

I'm in though. Might not do it tomorrow as I haven't mentally recovered from hairygrandpa 's challenges today. But it will be done within a week!

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
as much as I love deadlifts , they hate me. I will give this a try Sunday after back day but I can not make any promises , 245lbs will be my bar as my max is 405 (which might not even be true anymore after not deadlifting heavy or consistently for a long time now)

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Struggling with lower back issues going on three months now, maybe not the best challenge for me ha. Hoping to make plans to visit a chiropractor or massage therapist soon
The first two challenges are not bad for your back, I'm getting suspicious of your posted pics, all that muscles could be inflatable swimm-helps, painted in flesh color.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
The first two challenges are not bad for your back, I'm getting suspicious of your posted pics, all that muscles could be inflatable swimm-helps, painted in flesh color.
I know, I'm just too lazy to do the other ones haha. And yeah, I am actually a huge fraud. Zero muscle, all Adobe gainz.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought I picked a fun one. We all are broke somewhere it seems.

as much as I love deadlifts , they hate me. I will give this a try Sunday after back day but I can not make any promises , 245lbs will be my bar as my max is 405 (which might not even be true anymore after not deadlifting heavy or consistently for a long time now)
Use your current calculated max. Not an old max.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought I picked a fun one. We all are broke somewhere it seems.
Use your current calculated max. Not an old max.
Ah, ok, will do so too.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
i have to pass on this one- issues with the lower back and hammy's

good luck to everyone else

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One question, in my gym, I can't throw the weight to the ground and have to lower the bar to the floor after each rep, this would put me in a huge disadvantage to others just dropping it. What do you suggest?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One question, in my gym, I can't throw the weight to the ground and have to lower the bar to the floor after each rep, this would put me in a huge disadvantage to others just dropping it. What do you suggest?
Suck it up, buttercup. I too have to control-lower mine. We aren't permitted to drop them.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Suck it up, buttercup. I too have to control-lower mine. We aren't permitted to drop them.
Yes Sir!
Sucking it up, Sir!
Already sucking now, Sir!

:drillsergeant:

I'm on the way to my gym doing it NOW. Will be back in 90 minutes.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Neener neener neener! The geniuses at my gym took out some hardcore old school equipment and put in a plastic lawn to drop weights on. Now we know why! :)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would have to talk to the coach about working it into the program to do it. Sounds like a blast, whenever I do it I will post up in here. As of right now it would be 345. When it says reset between reps does that mean stand up or just settle, reset and pull?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have to talk to the coach about working it into the program to do it. Sounds like a blast, whenever I do it I will post up in here. As of right now it would be 345. When it says reset between reps does that mean stand up or just settle, reset and pull?
It's your choice, whatever gets you the most reps. Each is a single, so you can rapid fire some singles and/or take breathers. As the minutes go on you're going to be winded and need an extra breath or so. They just want to avoid touch-n-go.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Im definitely assuming that stopping each rep makes it much more difficult. I recently got a 315x20 tap and go. That was very hard, but all in one set.... Ima get this knocked out when my next dead day happens. Ima wear my new elitefts deathlift tank lol

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Fug it reg. I believe i showed you these a long while back so its only logical if i do it tomorrow after my programmed pulls.

360x3x8, 385x5x2 on block pulls, then a 345 Sadiv set...thank good Thursday is my off day.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How should I calculate it ?
What's your current best 1-5 rep set and did you feel you had any reps left in the tank during that set?

Edit: here.
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1467164399.994677.jpg

X axis is # of reps, y axis is rpe (no reps left in the tank is a "10", 1 rep left is a "9" and so on.).

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, suckers!

My old max rep was 450lbs nearly 6 month ago.
Since then I did no deadlifts -or leg workouts besides stairmaster and bicycle. Because of major problems in both knees. I figured that my max now would be around 400lbs.
I did the challenge with 240lbs, belt and straps.
My form was terrible, because I could bent the knees only slightly, doing almost stiff-legged deads.
15/10/12/8/8/7/5/1 - time up: Total: 66

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RegisterJr , I gonna sue you for abuse of an elderly person.
My back is killing me, somebody put me out of this misery, please shoot me!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How should I calculate it ?
http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm

Fug it reg. I believe i showed you these a long while back so its only logical if i do it tomorrow after my programmed pulls.

360x3x8, 385x5x2 on block pulls, then a 345 Sadiv set...thank good Thursday is my off day.
It's true, it's your fault.

What's your current best 1-5 rep set and did you feel you had any reps left in the tank during that set?

Edit: here. View attachment 137358

X axis is # of reps, y axis is rpe (no reps left in the tank is a "10", 1 rep left is a "9" and so on.).

First, suckers!

My old max rep was 450lbs nearly 6 month ago.
Since then I did no deadlifts -or leg workouts besides stairmaster and bicycle. Because of major problems in both knees. I figured that my max now would be around 400lbs.
I did the challenge with 240lbs, belt and straps.
My form was terrible, because I could bent the knees only slightly, doing almost stiff-legged deads.
15/10/12/8/8/7/5/1 - time up: Total: 66
I think you underestimated your max. What's the number grouping? How many you'd do before taking a breather?

RegisterJr , I gonna sue you for abuse of an elderly person.
My back is killing me, somebody put me out of this misery, please shoot me!
66 is an insane number of deadlifts. I wish on you the pain I still have in my triceps.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wait so do we completely come off the bar each pull? Like 1 rep would consist of reaching down, grabbing it, deadlifting it, putting it down, repeat? Or is it tap and go for continuous reps?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait so do we completely come off the bar each pull? Like 1 rep would consist of reaching down, grabbing it, deadlifting it, putting it down, repeat? Or is it tap and go for continuous reps?
Yup

"Perform each rep as a single, resetting between each rep and pulling with perfect form."

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Okay thats what i thought but i was just confused with HGs reps per set looking thing up there (x/y/z/etc).

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay thats what i thought but i was just confused with HGs reps per set looking thing up there (x/y/z/etc).
They looked to me to be AMRAP sets too. I dunno.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That sucked. 345x40 in 12 mins. + belt, no straps, full resets every rep.
Edit- Breakdown was as follows:

10 reps with 10.5m left
16 reps with 9m left
22 reps with 7m15s left
26 reps with 5m10s left
30 reps with 3.5m left
34 reps with 1.5m left
40 reps with time expiring. Looked over right before pulling the last rep and there were 4s left.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That sucked. 345x40 in 12 mins. + belt, no straps, full resets.
Dayum. I'm going to try tomorrow. I hope my diet doesn't slow me too much.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dayum. I'm going to try tomorrow. I hope my diet doesn't slow me too much.
Yeah i had a cliff bar and 60g waxy maize preworkout with another 20g of gatorade powder intra lol so thats like your total carbs for 3-4 days

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah i had a cliff bar and 60g waxy maize preworkout with another 20g of gatorade powder intra lol so thats like your total carbs for 3-4 days
True, but more like a week. Lol

I'll make sure I have some dark chocolate pre.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That looks similar to my first go. Got a bunch at the beginning and about 6 at the end. Extended breaks in between.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That looks similar to my first go. Got a bunch at the beginning and about 6 at the end. Extended breaks in between.
Yup. My original goal was to basically do amraps with minute rests between but as you can see my rest periods extended a little as i went on lol. Fuk cardio

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup. My original goal was to basically do amraps with minute rests between but as you can see my rest periods extended a little as i went on lol. Fuk cardio
I averaged 3/minute last time. I'm going to try and pace myself at 4/min, 1x every :15. I hope that keeps me from getting too winded too early.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I averaged 3/minute last time. I'm going to try and pace myself at 4/min, 1x every :15. I hope that keeps me from getting too winded too early.
I think the best way to get the most is to rep until it starts to feel like work say a 7-7.5 RPE then rest a short bit and repeat. Never getting too close to true fatigue until the 2 minute warning then go an all out blitz to the end no holding back.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think the best way to get the most is to rep until it starts to feel like work say a 7-7.5 RPE then rest a short bit and repeat. Never getting too close to true fatigue until the 2 minute warning then go an all out blitz to the end no holding back.
I would agree, i was pretty much stopping at 7-8. I wouldn't say i ever even hit a 9.5, maybe 9 1-2x

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I come back on-line to the forums and find that I have 3 mentions for challenges! Damn you hairygrandpa and RegisterJr!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They looked to me to be AMRAP sets too. I dunno.
As I used wrist straps, I did not took my hands off the bar. Touched ground and pulled up again. Sometimes half a second pause, later on 1-2 sec pause.
If you disqualify me for that, I gonna jump from a bridge, LOL.
By the way, back is my strong part, doing bent over rows with same weight.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As I used wrist straps, I did not took my hands off the bar. Touched ground and pulled up again. Sometimes half a second pause, later on 1-2 sec pause.
If you disqualify me for that, I gonna jump from a bridge, LOL.
By the way, back is my strong part, doing bent over rows with same weight.
Nah, if you reset then you reset. You can reset your hips instead of hands.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nah, if you reset then you reset. You can reset your hips instead of hands.
Also keep in mind my form was terrible, as I barely used my legs for it, so I did not straighten out my back like in a full reset.I just bent the knees the necessary to get the weight to the ground, damn fugged up knees. You could say it was sort off AMRAP's with awful form.
How is it possible to barely using legs and touching ground? Answer: short legs, LOL.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^or good flexibility

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^or good flexibility
Yes, I can almost suck my own wiener... thinking of it, I never tried, LOL.

I'm considering doing the challenge again and tape it, guessing it would stir up more discussions about my unhealthy method and how rounded my back was while pulling.
As I couldn't do it with good form, I'm a bit hesitant to repeat it. My ego beats my brain who is telling me: "Don't do it old fart." But hey, who is listening to his brain? LOL

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yes, I can almost suck my own wiener... thinking of it, I never tried, LOL.

I'm considering doing the challenge again and tape it, guessing it would stir up more discussions about my unhealthy method and how rounded my back was while pulling.
As I couldn't do it with good form, I'm a bit hesitant to repeat it. My ego beats my brain who is telling me: "Don't do it old fart." But hey, who is listening to his brain? LOL
If you are going to do it again just give yourself time to completely recover then go for it. Staying tight is most important when trying to avoid injury. So as long as you maintain tightness what may look like a deficiency in form should not be too bad. Many record breaking deadlifters intentionally DL with a rounded upper back. It gets them and extra 1-2 inches closer to the ground and as long as they lock it in like that it is just as safe.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are going to do it again just give yourself time to completely recover then go for it. Staying tight is most important when trying to avoid injury. So as long as you maintain tightness what may look like a deficiency in form should not be too bad. Many record breaking deadlifters intentionally DL with a rounded upper back. It gets them and extra 1-2 inches closer to the ground and as long as they lock it in like that it is just as safe.
Will wait what numbers show up in here, too few have tried.
If I'm still "the champ" out of 8-10 participants, in about a week -or two, I'll have to do it again.
My guess is, my numbers will be beaten shortly, can't imagine that an old fart like me beats the competition.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If I'm still "the champ" out of 8-10 participants, in about a week -or two, I'll have to do it again.
My guess is, my numbers will be beaten shortly, can't imagine that an old fart like me beats the competition.
Don't underestimate yourself HGP! We have something others haven't achieved yet. Old Man Strength! What comes along with that is also Old man Toughness!!!!!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol dude i truly have huge doubts that anyone will beat 66.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't underestimate yourself HGP! We have something others haven't achieved yet. Old Man Strength! What comes along with that is also Old man Toughness!!!!!
Nice quote! LOL
There maybe something to it, because in the first two challenges, I never thought to beat my son by a huge margin. We train together and I know his strength -but as soon as it was a competition I was way ahead of him.
Wondering now what scientific underlying cause there is for that.