You guys ever take a week off and just eat what you want and not lift any weights?

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
Have any of you just had a week where you maybe did some light cardio but other than that, no weights and no macro counting? Just to give your mind and body a rest?

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and I'm thinking that may be the best time to take advantage of some much needed rest , both physically and mentally. I have never taken an entire week off from the gym. I obsess over counting macros and yeah that is why I have had the success I have had. Though I was thinking that I should give my mind a break when I am away on vacation from it. I will go for a run on the trails they have surrounding our resort as they are very beautiful and scenic.

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm about to leave on vacation as well. Plan on doing lots of walking, hiking, swimming and sight seeing. There are other ways to keep active. And if there's a hotel gym I may use it for a light workout. Other than that, it's called vacation for a reason. Your home gym will still be there when you return. Enjoy!

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Yes ALL the time, but part of my is so anal-retentive about the lifting that I freak out when I don't want to take time off

BUT I believe the body grows better when you take time off to get physically and mentally refreshed, those bros that say "no you can't do that, you need to go 110% all day everyday" are usually the ones with the crappy physiques who don't make changes year to year

So yes, take time off, still try to get in good foods but live a little. You only have one life to live, ENJOY IT

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Have any of you just had a week where you maybe did some light cardio but other than that, no weights and no macro counting? Just to give your mind and body a rest?
Once a years i do this. Plan well , hop into pct starting the 1st day of that week . I do a hard week leading up to that. Then I go on vacation and eat wat i want with in logical reason . Its great for the mind ...

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do this only on vacations and i will only really let loose for part of it. When i went to the bahamas for my 30th this past year i managed to put on 20lbs(exact, not an approximation) in four days. My coach had weighed me in the day before i left and day i got back... He was pissed. The best part was when i weighed in the next week i had dropped 21lbs. You should have saw his face then lol. So f@$k it. Sometimes you gotta live!

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
I do this only on vacations and i will only really let loose for part of it. When i went to the bahamas for my 30th this past year i managed to put on 20lbs(exact, not an approximation) in four days. My coach had weighed me in the day before i left and day i got back... He was pissed. The best part was when i weighed in the next week i had dropped 21lbs. You should have saw his face then lol. So f@$k it. Sometimes you gotta live!
Looks like you gained water weight. Did you consume alcohol on your vacation? As you know some people after drinking weigh less and some experience water retention. Depending on your genetics it can be minimal or severe. Does not matter how great of physical shape you are in when it comes to that.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah and I'm an endomorph so it usually doesn't end well lol

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Had something similar happen to me before a cruise vacation. Gained about 15 lbs on the trip, but about a week later most of the water weight had dropped off. Probably because of the carb depletion and tons of cardio in the months leading up to the vacation.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks like you gained water weight. Did you consume alcohol on your vacation? As you know some people after drinking weigh less and some experience water retention. Depending on your genetics it can be minimal or severe. Does not matter how great of physical shape you are in when it comes to that.
Oo yea i definitly gained water weight, plus glycogen retention plus some fat gain. At the time i was 230, down from 270 a few months before on a keto diet. I have been cutting since january and been dropping weight like crazy. Anyways it was the combination of the sugary drinks (i had ALOT of those... Pina colada king lol) and the salty foods. I also had a bunch of starchy carbs. But it definitely didnt set me back, if anything helped me keep dropping weight.

I do hold alot of water but i also can drop and gain weight easy. My coach was shocked at the whole situation.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
I'm the same way when it comes to retaining water after eating lots of salty foods. I went to a BBQ one time and that evening when I got home and weighed myself to see if my thoughts would turn out true, I was 12 pounds heavier than I Was the day before. It finally went away in a couple days.

clk

clk

Awards
yea... i do it to deload before meets/comps. usually break personal records after.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Once a years i do this. Plan well , hop into pct starting the 1st day of that week . I do a hard week leading up to that. Then I go on vacation and eat wat i want with in logical reason . Its great for the mind ...
Probably the exact worst time to stop lifting. Jus sayn'

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Probably the exact worst time to stop lifting. Jus sayn'
Very true my friend. I tend to only hit up light toning movements. Dips push ups situps burpees and similar stuff . Nothing strenuous. My vacations tend to be in the mountains. Still haven't been to hampton beach yet ...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just took a month off and been enjoying myself not giving a F. I had an injury though, but yeah I don't get obsessive 365 days of the year.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone suggest a carb blocker (white kidney bean) while on vacation? I will be on a calorie deficit for about 15 weeks and then 1 week on vacation and will be eating WAY more than usual (obviously)...

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Does anyone suggest a carb blocker (white kidney bean) while on vacation? I will be on a calorie deficit for about 15 weeks and then 1 week on vacation and will be eating WAY more than usual (obviously)...
Well you "can". But a vacation is supposed to be just that. Relaxation time. Normal eating, etc etc.

You can still make good choices on vacation and not go all food crazy you know!!!

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
You guys ever hear of a book "keys to progress" by john mccallum? Based on articles he wrote in the 60s and 70s. Most of his ideas still hold up today. Anyhoo, there's a chapter on "softening up for gains" where he explains how to relax and eat well once in a while to actually gain muscle! Check it out if you can

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
I let loose on vacation, becasue it is vacation. I have almost always looked at the wieght rooms available and swore I was going to use them and never end up doing it. I pay for it the first week back, but as long as you don't let your week off turn into more than that it's all good. Once your food intake is more a lifestyle than a "diet", you can come back easier too on the kitchen side.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I let loose all summer, then I recomp all fall/winter. Best way to enjoy it

I dunno how people enjoy their summers while cutting / dieting

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Depends on where you are at I guess. I am still rocking a 1 pack and the difference between vacation and not is less than a belt notch, so whatever.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

It sucks lol I'm actually pulling back this month, doing exactly that. Gotta live life man!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Same. We have way too much going on to worry about diet and other crap. Life's too short and I am not about to turn down a bbq or summer nights out because I am worried about calories.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It sucks lol I'm actually pulling back this month, doing exactly that. Gotta live life man!
I've been living it large on the plate since the spring. Definitely pulling back now! Lol

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established

For reals

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Outside of enjoying training heavy, most of the reason I lift is so I can eat whatever I want. Life is too short to worry about being on point unless you compete.

jeffdog

Awards
i heard one of these youtube fitness gurus say the other day that he doesnt take time off from the gym because if he does he gets anxiety and feels like his body just totally flattens out-- whatever that means....i though to myself, my god, i think some of these people work out because if they didnt they would be sitting on the front porch of an insane asylum somewhere rocking back and forth in a chair with a lap full of saliva.....it is a marathon not a sprint---what will your week off in 2016 mean in 2023--zero....being obsessive about your workouts may be great for your body but it is bad for basically everything else in yer life-- if you can call it a life.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well that "fitness guru" is not doing what is best for him, he is simply addressing a mental issue possibly related to body dysmorphia. But I'm not a doctor. lol

JamesReef

JamesReef

Awards
Outside of enjoying training heavy, most of the reason I lift is so I can eat whatever I want. Life is too short to worry about being on point unless you compete.
realest dude out right now!

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
I have done it. Not a fan.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I haven't read all the responses and I'm sorry if I'm calling anyone out - but anyone who claims they "never" take a week off is just talking tough and blowing smoke or they have something more at stake, like they do this for a living. Life gets in the way plenty, things happen, that's what part of this game is. Anyone who trains hard is going to need some down time, we are not machines. Of course, if you have no life and you're not really training hard, you can just go through the motions every week and say you're training.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I agree. I've slacked pretty hard this summer. But had a hell of a summer. Starting to reign everything back in now.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
The old school hardcore lifters used to recommend a month off lifting a year and it did them good

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's generally new or young lifters that don't understand or act like they never take time off. For those that actually stay in the game, that ends up changing once they realize the benefits and the thing called life.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't read all the responses and I'm sorry if I'm calling anyone out - but anyone who claims they "never" take a week off is just talking tough and blowing smoke or they have something more at stake, like they do this for a living. Life gets in the way plenty, things happen, that's what part of this game is. Anyone who trains hard is going to need some down time, we are not machines. Of course, if you have no life and you're not really training hard, you can just go through the motions every week and say you're training.
I can't think of the last time I took an entire week off from training. I'll miss a day here and there, but never a week off. I get too stiff without training.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It's called balance and managing your time effectively, its what separates the wheel spinners from the achievers. Its irrelevant to others whether someone takes a week off or not, listen to your own body and act accordingly. But, I couldn't imagine not having a few weeks off (in a row) to go on a trip, party and let loose. But long term my first point is the defining factor.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can't think of the last time I took an entire week off from training. I'll miss a day here and there, but never a week off. I get too stiff without training.
That is pretty unusual. I know you are one of the more dedicated guys on the board - so I believe you. I also know that you know a bit about programming and you can manage your recovery and loads intelligently so you may not need breaks often. But you are unusual.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's called balance and managing your time effectively, its what separates the wheel spinners from the achievers. Its irrelevant to others whether someone takes a week off or not, listen to your own body and act accordingly. But, I couldn't imagine not having a few weeks off (in a row) to go on a trip, party and let loose. But long term my first point is the defining factor.
Exactly. You need to fight and do tough things and make sacrifice - but consistent doesn't have to mean never taking a break. Constantly moving toward your goal and being hard working and consistent 80-90% of the time won't win competitions, but the majority of this board isn't competing.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is pretty unusual. I know you are one of the more dedicated guys on the board - so I believe you. I also know that you know a bit about programming and you can manage your recovery and loads intelligently so you may not need breaks often. But you are unusual.
That's kinda my point and what separates training from just lifting. There's no problem with taking a week off, but fatigue management should be accounted for in designing training.

4evafit

4evafit

Awards
  • Established
Yes. Taken a year off. Lost all my gains lol. Was busy with bjj. I think it's a good thing