StrongLifts 5x5 Assistance Work?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I'm quitting my old workout program and starting StrongLifts 5x5 to gain strength and work on form more. Should I focus mainly on the major lifts for right now and add in assistance work later or should I go ahead and add in assistance work right now?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, if your goal is what they more or less advertise in the program, why not just pretty much do that for a bit if you are not real experienced on those big lifts? Later on, after you put in some time a d learn your weaknesses, you might know better what assistance work you would benefit from more? That way most, or all your attention would go into working hard and drilling just a handful of exercises you would get stronger at, instead of trying to learn or save energy for less benefiting stuff IMO?
Remember, assistance work is not magic (especially for trainees not real advanced) the main exercises are just that, main gainers. And more exercises, will never trump hard work on a handful of the multi joint spine loading compounds.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
I would start the program as recommended and get in proper assistance from the start if you have time. Develop the proper form. I generally don't have time for the gym so I never did the assistance and now my trainer has me comming off of the program to focus on 1 major compound per session followed by proper assistance. Spend a couple of weeks and see what works for you.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I would start the program as recommended and get in proper assistance from the start if you have time. Develop the proper form. I generally don't have time for the gym so I never did the assistance and now my trainer has me comming off of the program to focus on 1 major compound per session followed by proper assistance. Spend a couple of weeks and see what works for you.
Okay. I'm in the same situation, but hopefully later on in time I'll have more time for the gym.