My body fights me when I attempt a squat keeping me weight on my heels.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
So I've been working on my form with squats. Here is the issue and it's major. Whenever I squat it feels impossible to squat with my weight on my heels. Almost as if my body structure is not capable of allowing me to squat this way. Let's just put this in perspective for you. My fiancee had me squat down to pick up a piece of paper and my body would stop half way when I focused on keeping my weight on my heels. When I went all the way down with no problem it was when I had my weight on my toes. I am 6'5 in height with extremely long legs.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I have scoliosis so I have to squat very wide to get depth and keep my balance. The result has been a huge ass lol so I need to compensate that with lots of isolation leg work. It's a vicious circle.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could start here...
https://www.t-nation.com/training/goblet-squats-101
Dan John knows a thing or two about stuff like this.
Being taller and not well suited for squatting, it helped me a good deal to better barbell squat.

Also, differing body heights, leg lengths, waist and torso lengths can have a differing degree on your form, so you may have to play around some to get an idea of what is more right for you.
And learning more to drop your torso between your legs can help. That way you get away from folding up like an accordion.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Also box squats help as you can figure out what is a comfortable stance in the hole with just the bar or 135 (or lighter) just to get an idea of how to squat in a way that compliments your physiology.