Poor posture

Kmoore93

Kmoore93

Awards
I have slouched forward shoulders and therefor it makes my chest look smaller than it is , how can I bring my shoulders back, correcting my posture ?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The correction would be to re-train yourself to keep your shoulder back. Reminders throughout the day like Post-it notes in common places may help to keep it on your mind.

If you sit at a desk during the day get one of those stand up desks. That'd be a good reminder and is supposed to be better for you anyway.

If it's because you *can't* pull them back because of mobility, then banded scapular retractions will help.

https://youtu.be/SrykKsK4CHM

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Stretch out those pecs and shoulders every morning. All see a chiropractor if you can.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The correction would be to re-train yourself to keep your shoulder back. Reminders throughout the day like Post-it notes in common places may help to keep it on your mind.
Agree with RegJr. Making good upright posture is a habit. Over time, as you keep reiterating making or keeping yourself more upright, your body will respond and begin to understand that you are aware that you are slouching.
I am going to take an educated guess, (since I have no concrete statistics) but I would say that 99% of the men/women that are in the military, do not slouch much if at all. They don't do any muscle exercises per se, to learn this, they just begin to carry themselves more upright and or, for lack of a better word, at attention, or pay more attention to their posture or how they present themselves.
I used to slouch about 100 years ago. A guy told me to, walk around like you own the world. (well not a hard ass, but I think you get my meaning) Not only will/can it change your posture, but it can absolutely have an effect on your attitude and self esteem.
Pulling the shoulders back should help lengthen the pec etc. muscles and help the back/trap muscles tone up and shorten a bit over time.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All the above are good suggestions. 500 reps of upper back and 400 reps of rear delts a week is my suggestion. Also, there's a posture corrective device coming out soon on Thompson barbell dot com known as the bowtie that will help with cueing and stretching the front side. You wear it around your shoulders on your back.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I used to deal with this. Regjr is right. In addition to band work i would spend more time on upper back with weights. A lot of guys are very bench happy, and often neglect thier backs. For a while i used barbell pendlay rows with my same wide bench grip. This really improved my issue. Also ive found core work has improved my posture greatly

Bearmode

Bearmode

Awards
One thing that helps me, like RegisterJr said. Scapular Retractions, Facepulls and pretty much any upper back/rear delt work.