Side delts

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
What have people found to be the best way to really hit those side delts for growth. Side laterals are really a hit or miss with me, somedays I can feel them others not so much, also cant find the right weight to use as I can go heavier but dont know how much traps are really involved even though I consciously try to not use them. Whats worked?

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you do upright rows?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like side laterals supersetted with Arnold press.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All these are good ideas to try. I find the key with side laterals is to perfect the form. It's not cookie cutter like you would think from following a video on proper form. We all have different physical stats. I have a very long wingspan. Doing a textbook side lateral puts more stress on the shoulder joint than actual focus on the medial delt. Experiment to find the best range of motion/form where you can feel it targeting the medial delt.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Arms slightly bent and i will do 8x8 on side laterals with 30 seconds rest and you will get a great pump. Of course I'll do lighter weight since short rest periods but I really like that.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Arms slightly bent and i will do 8x8 on side laterals with 30 seconds rest and you will get a great pump. Of course I'll do lighter weight since short rest periods but I really like that.
Hmm thats a good idea so you basically just do a lot of sets? havent really tried that

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
All these are good ideas to try. I find the key with side laterals is to perfect the form. It's not cookie cutter like you would think from following a video on proper form. We all have different physical stats. I have a very long wingspan. Doing a textbook side lateral puts more stress on the shoulder joint than actual focus on the medial delt. Experiment to find the best range of motion/form where you can feel it targeting the medial delt.
Yeah i need to experiment with range of motion etc. What you say about the shoulder joint makes sense because a lot of time it feels like side laterals make my shoulder pop and stuff at the joint versus the muscle, its frustrating haha

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah i need to experiment with range of motion etc. What you say about the shoulder joint makes sense because a lot of time it feels like side laterals make my shoulder pop and stuff at the joint versus the muscle, its frustrating haha
I find leaning slightly forward and bending the elbows a bit more to hit the medial head better for me. Someone posted a video on here once of a physique competitor or bodybuilder doing the variation. Can't find it or I would link it. Made my medial delts specifically noticeably sore for the first time ever.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Look up john meadows delt training. Do that and you wont have any problems. Lateral raises are the bread and butter, just need to get a good routine and rep structure.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Look up john meadows delt training. Do that and you wont have any problems. Lateral raises are the bread and butter, just need to get a good routine and rep structure.
Thanks ill check that out

Snow3y

Snow3y

Awards
I found doing rear delt exercises, with putting some emphasis on side delts gave me my best development

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
I found doing rear delt exercises, with putting some emphasis on side delts gave me my best development
basically leaning forward while doing side laterals? I tried that yesterday and it was good

Snow3y

Snow3y

Awards
basically leaning forward while doing side laterals? I tried that yesterday and it was good
Precisely this.. Also just rotating my hands are when doing the lifts seems to do some magic