Should Shoulder press be done by lean over a support or not ?

karthi2play

Awards
Hai people ,
Whether it's BB shoulder press behind the neck or front press , how do u prefer to do the workout ? By leaning over a support or choosing to seat over a flat bench ?
What's ur opinion and logic behind it ?
Can u lift the same ass weighting without leaning over and not arching ur back too much ?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I prefer standing strict press. Squeeze the glutes, tighten the core, press up and push thru with the head once the bar has cleared it. I dont like pressing with an arched back even against a bench. Sometime my shoulder gets a little banged up and i cant quite get mobile enough for OHP in which case I opt for arnold press from a seated position using an incline bench close to 90deg.

karthi2play

Awards
I prefer standing strict press. Squeeze the glutes, tighten the core, press up and push thru with the head once the bar has cleared it. I dont like pressing with an arched back even against a bench. Sometime my shoulder gets a little banged up and i cant quite get mobile enough for OHP in which case I opt for arnold press from a seated position using an incline bench close to 90deg.
Standing front press or behind the neck ? Why the front or behind the neck press ?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Oh sorry man, i should have said from the front. I can press more from the front and find it easier to 'stack' my arms into a position thats healthy for my shoulders.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Personally the risk for injury vs the reward of behind the neck press makes it a no go for me. I primarily utilize a strict Standing Front OHP. Very slight lean when the weights get around 90%+. I have found that the front OHP has carried over to an increase in my bench press far more than behind the neck ever did.

karthi2play

Awards
Oh sorry man, i should have said from the front. I can press more from the front and find it easier to 'stack' my arms into a position thats healthy for my shoulders.
Wow good though..

karthi2play

Awards
Personally the risk for injury vs the reward of behind the neck press makes it a no go for me. I primarily utilize a strict Standing Front OHP. Very slight lean when the weights get around 90%+. I have found that the front OHP has carried over to an increase in my bench press far more than behind the neck ever did.
It helped ur incline bench , and what about ur delts ?
Can any one tell the muscle targeted by front OHP and behind the neck OHP , like which heads works most for which variations ?

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
I find that with standing bb overhead front press my wrists hurt more than anything. Am I doing something wrong ?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do standing strict front overhead presses to make progress in benching. I pinch the floor, squeeze my azz, keep core tight, and push my head through at lockout. I don't feel these contribute as much to growth as they do for strength.

I also do behind-the-neck presses with a wide(er) grip. These really target the backside of the delts. You have to use a MUCH smaller weight to prevent injury though. If it's a (HUGE) struggle to lift it off your traps then you know you're lifting too much.

Do a few sets of front presses and add in accessory stuff for growth.

I find that with standing bb overhead front press my wrists hurt more than anything. Am I doing something wrong ?
Probably. Try thumbless, and add wraps.

karthi2play

Awards
Which heads are targeted during front press and which heads are targeted during behind the neck presses ? Any one ?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Front: Anterior head with lateral fiber assistance.

BTN: Posterior head with (slightly more) lateral fiber assistance.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I have the least amount of RC complaints when I use the seated military press bench, lock my feet into the pegs and my upper back against seat and slowly bring the weight down behind my head. Everyone is different though, some people have "healthy" shoulders and scream bloody murder when they see me do it that way but honestly if I bring the weight infront of my head while seating both shoulders POP, and not in a good way.

karthi2play

Awards
RC complaints are main reason people choose variations on shoulder press ...

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
RC complaints are main reason people choose variations on shoulder press ...
Oh I agree, it's just of all the RC issues I've had no one believes that behind the head is like the one movement that *doesn't* give me any kind of issues.