Once vs twice per week

lstatum1s

Awards
I am about to finish up a workout program where I train every muscle group twice per week. I pretty much have been training like this for a year or more, and was wanting to get some feedback on advice/opinions of whether it is better to train each body part once or twice a week. I am more interested in gaining strength than size, I am comfortable with the size I have. Searching online gives countless different answers (which I'm sure this will too), but I would rather hear from you guys to be honest, and go from there
Thanks all in advance!

GettinSwolen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For a number of years I did the basic bro split which worked fine as I personally add size relatively easy and noob gains in the beginning. But the last two year of my training I have gone to hitting every muscle group twice per week and I have found that to work the best. I run a modifed version of PHAT, weekends I do upper/lower body power days (low reps/high weight) and 3 days during the week, typically tues,wed,thurs I do hypo trophy 8-12 rep range. Works better for me personally

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
If you're looking for pure strength gain, I would recommend checking out the 5-3-1 training program. Its a great strength program. PHAT as suggested above is another great program to read up on too

lstatum1s

Awards
For a number of years I did the basic bro split which worked fine as I personally add size relatively easy and noob gains in the beginning. But the last two year of my training I have gone to hitting every muscle group twice per week and I have found that to work the best. I run a modifed version of PHAT, weekends I do upper/lower body power days (low reps/high weight) and 3 days during the week, typically tues,wed,thurs I do hypo trophy 8-12 rep range. Works better for me personally
I really like training twice per week too. I'm just wondering if I go to once a week from twice a week if there will be any "shock" benefit to it if I load up on volume for each day.

lstatum1s

Awards
If you're looking for pure strength gain, I would recommend checking out the 5-3-1 training program. Its a great strength program. PHAT as suggested above is another great program to read up on too
The 5-3-1 is something I have been interested in doing, but since I train alone now I will probably wait until I get a partner again.

GettinSwolen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I really like training twice per week too. I'm just wondering if I go to once a week from twice a week if there will be any "shock" benefit to it if I load up on volume for each day.
What are your goals, strength? size? I think that might help you to decide on which way to go with a program.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
The 5-3-1 is something I have been interested in doing, but since I train alone now I will probably wait until I get a partner again.
Yeah, the 5-3-1 is tricky to do alone. You could always ask someone to spot you, but things always go smoother when you're comfortable with your spotter

lstatum1s

Awards
What are your goals, strength? size? I think that might help you to decide on which way to go with a program.
Strength is my goal. I am comfortable with my size, would just like to add some weight to movements.

lstatum1s

Awards
Well then maybe you should focus more on a powerlifting routine, check out this list of popular powerlifting routines along with reviews.

Phat that I listed above is more of a "powerbuilding" routine.
I looked into the Phat workout and actually think that is definitely something I will do in the future. As for powerliftingtowin, I am unable to get into the site. I have tried my laptop, phone, and work computer and all of them won't let me in. I even tried to enter from google and couldn't get in. Either way, thanks for the help guys.

GettinSwolen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I looked into the Phat workout and actually think that is definitely something I will do in the future. As for powerliftingtowin, I am unable to get into the site. I have tried my laptop, phone, and work computer and all of them won't let me in. I even tried to enter from google and couldn't get in. Either way, thanks for the help guys.
Hmm you seem to be right that the link isn't working, I was able to access the site earlier today so maybe they are just having issues? not sure. But yea Phat is great, and with its template can be modified into what you are looking for as time goes on.

ToughMech

Awards
I train legs and back twice per week, however, I do change my splits but I always come back to it at some point. Sometimes a decrease in training can be good for a short period of time. I have looked into the 5-3-1 program and would like to try it one day.