proper breathing?

fartster

Awards
exhaling while lifting weights seem to give me more power and strength. Is this how we should be lifting or not? I inhale as I drop the weight. So exhale while lifting weights, inhale while dropping the weights. It seems to work well for me, but I want to make sure this is proper because before it's just whatever, I think the other way around. How I'm doing it recently seem to give me more power but I'd have to think to exhale (lifting) and inhale (dropping), as if it's still not second nature as of right now.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Breathing is crucial to lifting. Bench for example inhale while dropping bar to cheat and exhale while pushing

GettinSwolen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ideally you take in your air before the rep, hold your breath/push out against your belt as you lower the weight in a squat or bench, then exhale as you push. Maneuver is called a Valsalva maneuver I believe and should come natural over time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Breathe between reps and not during them. The purpose of air is to stabilize and brace. Releasing that lessens stability.

fartster

Awards
OK so it's close to how I explained it; take a breath (inhale) before the rep, exhale while doing the rep. Must I inhale as I drop the weight or is it best to do so when the weight is actually dropped? Then take in air again BEFORE the rep, then exhale while lifting the weights up? Repeat process, etc.

Ideally you take in your air before the rep, hold your breath/push out against your belt as you lower the weight in a squat or bench, then exhale as you push. Maneuver is called a Valsalva maneuver I believe and should come natural over time.

fartster

Awards
OK so it's close to how I explained it; take a breath (inhale) before the rep, exhale while doing the rep. Must I inhale as I drop the weight or is it best to do so when the weight is actually dropped? Then take in air again BEFORE the rep, then exhale while lifting the weights up? Repeat process, etc.

GettinSwolen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/know-when-to-hold-it-how-to-breathe-while-lifting.html

check this it, depends on how many reps you are doing really. If doing higher than 6 reps I tend to breath in and breath out with the rep while lower reps/heavier weight, I hold on the lowering portion and exhale on the lift. Hopefully the article clears that up a bit for you.