Respiration issues from deadlifting?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I've had issues for a few years now getting a good nights sleep. I don't wake up frequently during the night, I just feel as though my breaths are more like very shallow gasps as opposed to a normal breath. I noticed that this started happening after I began deadlifting. I know I have chronic tension around my t-spine and through the deep erector spinae. When I get in there with a baseball and really loosen it up, I feel like the rib cage can expand more to allow a deeper breath. This is temporary though as it will tighten up again some the next day. The issue for me is that even when I really loosen up those muscles, my poor breathing habits still persist. Almost as if they're so used to being in a chronically tight position that I don't even try to take a deeper breath. I was thinking perhaps its central sleep apnea. An overnight sleep test is over $3k though. Unfortunately I don't have this to spare at the moment. Should I continue with the soft tissue work in that area along with the ext. intercostals? Or should I just go ahead and purchase an auto CPAP machine?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you not have insurance? Have you seen a doctor who thinks you need a sleep test?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've had issues for a few years now getting a good nights sleep./// I know I have chronic tension around my t-spine and through the deep erector spinae.
Do you have any ideas why you do not sleep well? Do you wake up at night and begin to worry or ruminate about certain things?
Have you had any other tests, as far as say stress or hypertension stuff or anything?
It sounds like you might be addressing the physical symptoms, but what has your doctor done to help with say your chronic tension or other issues?
Have you asked your doctor for any other less expensive options, other than the 3k sleep test?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
No, I can stay asleep. It's just how deep I'm breathing (or lack of depth) that I think is the issue. I don't snore.
The thing is, it's been for years now that I believe my breathing patterns have been retrained to accommodate all of the excessive tension I spoke of in my original post. To me, practicing deep breathing, along with the auto CPAP machine would be the obvious answer.
I think it'd be okay to just forego the sleep study and buy the machine that automatically measures your respiration and adjusts the air flow accordingly

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
To me, practicing deep breathing, along with the auto CPAP machine would be the obvious answer.
I think it'd be okay to just forego the sleep study and buy the machine that automatically measures your respiration and adjusts the air flow accordingly
How old are you? I completely understand the cost of the sleep study as I had one myself, but you're basically self-diagnosing yourself and signing up for a life of being tied to a machine without really knowing what the core issue is. I would strongly recommend getting the study done or at least seeking out some second opinions.