HIIT question.....

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like to run sprints but I got thinking about when I get tired and am I still getting the benefits of HIIT. So here's my question...... I run sprints up a hill that's moderately elevated and roughly 150 yards long. I shoot for 8 sprints and a light jog back down. It takes me about 1 1/2 miles to get there so that's my warm up. Ok... If I am giving 90-95% effort on all my runs but the last 2-3 sprints I start to get tired and even though I'm still giving max effort at the end, in reality it's only 70-75 percent of when I started, are the last few runs as effective as the start of the session?

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
As I understand it, the principles of HIIT dictate that you give your max effort at that moment, not compared to any other time. So you should be benifiting. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, equally as effective. As mentioned, it is near max effort for that burst, not in comparison to when you started.

ToughMech

Awards
I do HIIT 2 - 4x per week and in the end I am always tired but my heart rates stay up for longer as I go through it, thus, making it harder. Its all about keeping the heart rate up even if your performance is not as good where it started. I am always giving my max effort.