Crossfit

Dmcooper

Awards
I know crossfitters get a lot of ****, but I was thinking of doing it for the olympic lifts and the gymnastics to supplement my routine to add power and muscle balance. I know the kipping is ridiculous, but is crossfit really that bad?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Legitimate crossfit? No.

The bad name came from the pop-up X-fit gyms and the lack of proper technical training. People on their first day ever in a gym were told to clean and press a barbell with bumpers with no regard to safely.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Being a competitive Crossfit athlete it has both its pros and cons.
If you are taught the fundamentals then yes it may be an issue but in saying that if your coach knows what he/she is doing then it is great and is a great program/supplement for your usual training

Dmcooper

Awards
Being a competitive Crossfit athlete it has both its pros and cons.
If you are taught the fundamentals then yes it may be an issue but in saying that if your coach knows what he/she is doing then it is great and is a great program/supplement for your usual training
I just wish I could find a good coach that actually knows about olympic lifts and gymnastics instead of the new guys that just get their license and think they know. But I don't want to pay $100 just to find out if the coach is good or not haha.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've found that most crossfit boxes have closed up and the ones that are still around have had to drop the elitist attitude and incorporate trainers that actually know what they are doing and also have scaled back the 'weight against time' mindset. The ones that are around seem to have smartened up and coincidentally, you don't hear about injuries as much.

So, OP, find a good one or learn the oly moves and they are a great addition.

Also, don't necessarily look for ones that use "crossfit" in the name because the method of training isn't unique at all, but the name requires heavy dues to use it and it is generally passed off to you and not on paying good trainers. You are after oly lifting basics that you can find many places.

Dmcooper

Awards
I've found that most crossfit boxes have closed up and the ones that are still around have had to drop the elitist attitude and incorporate trainers that actually know what they are doing and also have scaled back the 'weight against time' mindset. The ones that are around seem to have smartened up and coincidentally, you don't hear about injuries as much.

So, OP, find a good one or learn the oly moves and they are a great addition.

Also, don't necessarily look for ones that use "crossfit" in the name because the method of training isn't unique at all, but the name requires heavy dues to use it and it is generally passed off to you and not on paying good trainers. You are after oly lifting basics that you can find many places.
Well that's good that crossfit is being perfected. I just thought it was a good idea because it's the only gym that incorporates olympic lifting and gymnastics. I guess I can just learn olympic lifting and do it at my gym and buy some gymnastic rings, I just don't know where to put them since I live in an apartment. If I had my own property I would just build my own jungle gym lol.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I just wish I could find a good coach that actually knows about olympic lifts and gymnastics instead of the new guys that just get their license and think they know. But I don't want to pay $100 just to find out if the coach is good or not haha.
My suggestion, find a small Crossfit box as they are the ones that dedicate their time to helping athletes get better. The bigger ones just want the money to roll in without putting in any work.

The smaller ones are great as the community is also closer as a whole

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I know crossfitters get a lot of ****, but I was thinking of doing it for the olympic lifts and the gymnastics to supplement my routine to add power and muscle balance. I know the kipping is ridiculous, but is crossfit really that bad?
Hey bro, I completely enjoy crossfit, I only go 1-day per week, and the regular gym 4 days. First time I went to crossfit the coach pulled me apart (in a good way). I was so humbled and mad; I went back to my gym and worked on EVERYTHING they said. It exposed my weaknesses and helped me develop way beyond just training in the gym by myself.

Honestly, my biggest thing was the cost. So I went on groupon and snagged a 10-drop in pass for $20. Since I go 1-day per week, I can do crossfit for 2 ½ months!

Last thing, keep in mind, not all boxes are created equal. Let the coach know you are new; they should be right beside you helping you with form. If they cut you lose, and just let you do whatever, find another box.

blondbencher

Awards
^^^This! Getting a Level 1 cert does not make you a grand wizard of anything. I live in Nashville and there's hardly anyone that claims they coach Oly lifts minus the Crossfit Instructors that have been teaching for like two weeks.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I used to go to a crossfit box in my area and my coaches were a married couple that were super cool and motivating and they were very knowledgeable about Olympic lifting and gymnastics and were very very good at coaching people in these movements and. Had good understanding of body mechanics and how to build weaknesses and fix imbalances. So I say crossfit is awesome if you find the right coaches.

blondbencher

Awards
I used to go to a crossfit box in my area and my coaches were a married couple that were super cool and motivating and they were very knowledgeable about Olympic lifting and gymnastics and were very very good at coaching people in these movements and. Had good understanding of body mechanics and how to build weaknesses and fix imbalances. So I say crossfit is awesome if you find the right coaches.
You're absolutely correct. There are good coaches out there, and there are bad ones. Just like golf and tennis pros, cycling and triathlon coaches.

But Crossfit is good... And tough... If done in the right environment.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
No need to drop $100, every Crossfit gym I have looked at either offers 1-3 free classes or the first week free. You can drop in and get the vibe fairly fast. Most offer intro classes, and I even saw one that offered a 6 week on boarding class (for a cost). Check out a couple, and read the coaches bios. I have been to 3 boxes, 2 were awesome, one was just ok.