Training w/ a severely pulled lumbar muscle...

Viator77

Viator77

Awards
So after a week of lifting my grandfather in and out of his wheelchair I managed to pull my right lumbar muscle pretty bad. My doc said no weight training or cardio for 2 weeks, but I'm looking for any way around this even though I know it's probably good advice. It's getting too close this summer to just take two weeks off.

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the training, injury, or anabolic section because my question is a little bit of all three. Should I just used machines for lifting and a recumbent bike for cardio to minimize the strain on my pulled lumbar muscle, or take the two weeks off?

Secondly if I do take the two weeks off- I have two weeks worth of anavar left. should I keep taking them or wait until after the two weeks and resume taking them? The only other thing I'm taking is GW 5016 & HRT with test enanthate at 200 mg every other week

Any advice would be much appreciated

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Take two weeks off. You won't shrivel away or melt. In fact, it's actually beneficial for you to take a week or two off once or twice a year.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The_Old_Guy can probably link you ti the study

maxtorres91

Awards
Honestly dude just chill for two weeks. I severely messed my back up and it was almost three months before I could lift again. It's now been 5 going on 6 months and my back still gets tight and bothers me if my lumbar isn't supported for too long while sitting

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you wanna do something just to feel like youre doing something just go in and hit some upper body machines or something. Take time off COMPLETELY from anything straining to your lower back. It isn't worth screwing it up even worse and being out for a much longer period than 2 weeks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
See if your body can hold up to planks for 45-60s. If it can't, take time off.

Viator77

Viator77

Awards
Thanks for the reply fellas. Any advice on what I should do with the two weeks of anavar I have left? I'm debating whether I should keep taking them to help the injury heal, or hold off until I start working out again

Viator77

Viator77

Awards
My sister owns a yoga studio and she's been teaching for about 10 years. She told me I should take some of what she called "restorative" classes. she said it's very light yoga exactly for people looking to recover from all sorts of injuries. I think I'll check out a recording of one of those classes before deciding whether or not to go

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
See if your body can hold up to planks for 45-60s. If it can't, take time off.
Rodja's smart. Listen to him.
Thanks for the reply fellas. Any advice on what I should do with the two weeks of anavar I have left? I'm debating whether I should keep taking them to help the injury heal, or hold off until I start working out again
That's a complete waste of anavar. Save it til you can work out at full capacity.

My sister owns a yoga studio and she's been teaching for about 10 years. She told me I should take some of what she called "restorative" classes. she said it's very light yoga exactly for people looking to recover from all sorts of injuries. I think I'll check out a recording of one of those classes before deciding whether or not to go
Might be worth a shot, as lame as yoga sounds, a lot of people use it for prehab/rehab and it works well.

jerm129

Awards
Take the time off. I would train through some injuries only to make them worse off later on.

Let them heal, get some foam rolling and heal that SOB. Save yourself the pain later on.

Viator77

Viator77

Awards
Wow I'm really impressed. Thanks for all the feedback and advice. even though I'm far from a newbie in the bodybuilding / weight training world, I'm about as new as you can get here and you guys are making me feel real welcome, which I appreciate greatly.

So far without doing anything, even though I had planned on trying that plank test and doing their restorative yoga, the injury is getting worse all by itself so I'm going to be taking some time off. Even though this question kind of answered itself by the injury getting worse, I would have taken all your advice had it stayed the same as the general consensus seems to be rest is best.

Now if I can only figure out why the pic I keep uploading for my avatar doesn't take.... and yes it's a small Avatar type file pic

Viator77

Viator77

Awards
One quick questio a lot of boxers and competitive athletes are known to take ice baths or bathe an extremely cold water. I've been alternating heat packs and ice packs, but do you think that I get any added advantage in recovery time by taking an ice bath or ice cold water bath? At this point I don't really care about losing the two weeks of weight training I just can't bear the pain and I don't take opiates unless I'm recovering from major surgery, or there's a bone sticking out of my skin

Fruffalo

Fruffalo

Awards
Your doc said 2 weeks ??? Mine said two months - I just messed up my muscle pretty bad, consider yourself lucky. Take two weeks off. You might injure yourself further and end up having to take longer time off.

Fruffalo

Fruffalo

Awards
Opiates are not going to be very effective for muscle pain anyway if it's a muscle injury. Have you discussed muscle relaxants with your doc ? Most of them are very sedating and can make you drowsy but some can be less sedating than others and allow you to function normally.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
One quick questio a lot of boxers and competitive athletes are known to take ice baths or bathe an extremely cold water. I've been alternating heat packs and ice packs, but do you think that I get any added advantage in recovery time by taking an ice bath or ice cold water bath? At this point I don't really care about losing the two weeks of weight training I just can't bear the pain and I don't take opiates unless I'm recovering from major surgery, or there's a bone sticking out of my skin
The actual data on "Ice Baths" after training is: It kills your gains. You actually want localized training induced inflammation responses. Same reason you shouldn't dose AO's like Vitamin C, NAC, or anti-inflamitory Omega-3's anywhere around training.

Viator77

Viator77

Awards
I knew that about antioxidants and anti-inflammatories but at this point it's not training related inflamation it's an injury I did the ice bath and lasted all of about 30 seconds... I got up the courage to get back in and lasted about another 30 seconds so it's kind of a moot point I'd say I'm about 60% healed by now just with rest.

the problem is I don't work out for gaines or fat loss. I worked out for therapy it's actually a very effective antidepressant for me 1 hour in the gym equals two days of being in a good mood and being functional better than any antidepressant or benzo or stimulant that psychiatrists prescribe me in the past. So gone 2 weeks without any type of exercise is really put me in a funk I've been laying in bed all day not wanting to go out in public. Some days I don't eat at all for up to 48 hours, and other days I bing on junk food all day maybe I'll try doing some light cardio or some light machine work something that doesn't involve the lumbar muscles at all and I wear a weightlifting belt super tight for compression

Viator77

Viator77

Awards
I thought I should also add that the pain went from an unbearable 10 to a mild annoyance 3. Using that 1-10 Pain Scale that the doctors ask you about

Thanks once again for all of your feedback