total reps for muscle group

M

mdabbott2009

Awards
What do you guys do for total reps per muscle group?

Biceps tris I'm at 100 reps each I normally almost superset heavy curls into heaviest tricep kick backs or skull crushers I can handle with out smashing my dome.

Back on Monday I ended up at 115-120 for bent vbar row, wide grip bent row, lat pull downs, and pull ups

Chest I'm probably 100-120 depends if I drop set incline flys

Legs probably 80ish depending if I don't front squat and 110 if I do

I'm wounding if I should go for little more volume or more weight? As of now for chest day I normally have to drop bench down to lighter weight and get the last 15-20 reps in this is after I get my main rep and weights done. I still try and push the heaviest I can while getting the last few reps.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
it kind of depends on some things. How im feeling that day, how much time etc. I usually go for 13 min per set until i get to 70% of my max. Then i go for half and half again. I started to use tempo training to really strengthen the muscles and shock my body.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm wounding if I should go for little more volume or more weight? As of now for chest day I normally have to drop bench down to lighter weight and get the last 15-20 reps in this is after I get my main rep and weights done. I still try and push the heaviest I can while getting the last few reps.
Can I ask your age and is there a specific goal you have in mind using x number of reps?
Just to meet a number of reps per W/O, or volume just for volume's or hitting a desired number's sake, IMO does not necessarily meet certain other building requirements. ie: For myself anyway, I do not want to sacrifice a weight heavy enough to elicit bigger changes in my physiology, just to make a set number of reps every W/O.
I can make good gains just by doing anywhere from 10-40 total reps on the compounds (say squats, DL's, BP's, Rows, OHP's on average) Other factors, such as loads, TUT, intensity of effort, frequency of W/O's, all can have huge benefits, or failures, without having large or high rep counts in one W/O.

M

mdabbott2009

Awards
Been trying to keep busy I have 35min to lift in the morning thought was keep my training little higher say 8-10 reps per set 3 sets per lift normally 3-4 lift per muscle group. That seams to time me out almost perfect. But didn't know if that was to much volume in 35 mins of lifting.

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d9SQ97rfyO4

I don't know if you've seen this yet but everything Eric Helms puts out is non biased and science based. He explains Volume, Intensity and frequency in this video. I could explain but he does such a good job in this video.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Been trying to keep busy I have 35min to lift in the morning thought was keep my training little higher say 8-10 reps per set 3 sets per lift normally 3-4 lift per muscle group. That seams to time me out almost perfect. But didn't know if that was to much volume in 35 mins of lifting.
Well, again I might ask what are your goals?
If you are recovering from the W/O's, (perhaps adding some weight on a consistent basis, if that is an aim?) and progressing farther in your pursuits, then "how much you're doing" would be more determined by your progress or goals achieved!? Tracking volume comes down to more than counting reps, or even the total weight in reps lifted. #10lbsx100 is less stress intensive on the body, than say #100x10 but can come out to the same overall tonnage.

M

mdabbott2009

Awards
Well, again I might ask what are your goals?
If you are recovering from the W/O's, (perhaps adding some weight on a consistent basis, if that is an aim?) and progressing farther in your pursuits, then "how much you're doing" would be more determined by your progress or goals achieved!? Tracking volume comes down to more than counting reps, or even the total weight in reps lifted. #10lbsx100 is less stress intensive on the body, than say #100x10 but can come out to the same overall tonnage.
I'm 25 my goal right now is to lean out after gaining 20+ pounds this last year.

I'm not trying to do a bunch of volume on purpose but like today I added another 10 pounds on wide grip curls and did one less rep on the last set. I'm pushing to keep adding weight and hit at least 8 reps

It seams for me anything less then 5 reps it doesn't help me and anything more then 12 I get bored.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm 25 my goal right now is to lean out after gaining 20+ pounds this last year.

I'm not trying to do a bunch of volume on purpose but like today I added another 10 pounds on wide grip curls and did one less rep on the last set. I'm pushing to keep adding weight and hit at least 8 reps

It seams for me anything less then 5 reps it doesn't help me and anything more then 12 I get bored.
Gotcha.
And yeah, especially on smaller and or iso exercises, 6-15 reps and multi sets, are probably going to serve most better.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
What do you guys do for total reps per muscle group?

Biceps tris I'm at 100 reps each I normally almost superset heavy curls into heaviest tricep kick backs or skull crushers I can handle with out smashing my dome.

Back on Monday I ended up at 115-120 for bent vbar row, wide grip bent row, lat pull downs, and pull ups

Chest I'm probably 100-120 depends if I drop set incline flys

Legs probably 80ish depending if I don't front squat and 110 if I do

You do more volume for your arms than your legs?

A lot more muscles in your lower body than in the upper portion of your arm lol.