Solid 6-Day Split for Mass/Strength?

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Hey there guys, first post! So I've been lifting pretty consistently for about a year - I was actually already lifting since 4 years ago but then had to prioritize my work career, and finally went back to the iron around May 2015.

I regained all my lost size pretty quickly and more, overall I gained approx 30lbs - although some of it is fat therefore I'm now cutting for a bit.

Cutting is making me realize I'm still far away from being "big" - I'm 6ft x 182lb now, but around 15%bf therefore by the time I'm 10% I'll need some serious mass to put on.

That's why I'm already thinking about a more intense program for mass and strength gains (lots of my lifts are stalling).

Here's what I've been doing for a while - as you notice I like doing pretty much one muscle each day. This permits me to have shorter workouts (around 1hr and 15min each) and do every muscle with more energy.

MONDAY
Chest/Calves

TUESDAY
Biceps/Abs

WEDNESDAY
Legs

THURSDAY
Shoulders

FRIDAY
Triceps/Abs

SATURDAY
Back

SUNDAY REST

I like this split and it's been working well, but I think I'm getting tired of it and perhaps for pure mass/strength I should maybe focus more on fundamentals.

Therefore I was thinking about a PPLPPL 6-day split, this way I can train each muscle twice a week (although not as in detail) and get better at the compounds.

Rough example I have in mind:

MONDAY PUSH Chest/Shoulders/Tris + Calves
- flat bench
- standing military press behind
- dips
- (more)
- calves

TUESDAY PULL Back/Bis + Abs
- pull up
- row
- standing barbell curl
- (more)
- abs

WEDNESDAY LEGS
- squat
- SLDL
- laying leg curl
- (more)

THURSDAY PUSH Chest/Shoulders/Tris
- incline bench dumbbells
- military dumbbells
- close grip bench
- (more)

FRIDAY PULL Back/Bis
- deadlift
- chin up
- t-bar row
- (more)

SATURDAY LEGS
- leg press
- hack squat
- leg extension
- (more)

SUNDAY REST

I know it sounds really intense, I'm kinda scared of overtraining but wanna know what you guys think. Thanks for your time! :)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Overtraining is really hard to legit do. Pro athletes train every single day and harder and longer than anyone working out for just an hour or two.

I have a 6 day modified phat plan I designed that myself and a few others have run with great success. If you want it, I have it in an excel file. Just shoot me an email (see my signature) and I'll forward it along

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Overtraining is really hard to legit do. Pro athletes train every single day and harder and longer than anyone working out for just an hour or two.

I have a 6 day modified phat plan I designed that myself and a few others have run with great success. If you want it, I have it in an excel file. Just shoot me an email (see my signature) and I'll forward it along
I read into phat and was really scared about that volume lol, but up to the challenge. Will msg you, thanks!

Anyone else?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I read into phat and was really scared about that volume lol, but up to the challenge. Will msg you, thanks!

Anyone else?
I've used it in a heavy deficit (1600 cal psmf) and actually continued to build strength. It's a great program and will respond even better when you get your diet dialed in for your goal.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Any other suggestions guys? Thanks for your time

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can easily train each muscle twice a week with a four day split. Six just isn't feasible for most people especially from a CNS perspective.

If you want to get better and stronger, hit the compounds twice a week and focus on those. Squat, bench, and deadlift twice per week and train movements not muscles. The squat isn't a quad lift, bench isn't a chest lift, and deadlift is a back lift. All of these are FULL-BODY lifts and should treated as such.