gym schedule with a full time job?!

bashar

bashar

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys manage your gym time around a full time job?
I workout 4-5 times a week, early morning, 1-1:30min sessions.

JG93

JG93

Awards
I do the same. Either before, early.. Or after, 6pmish.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a full time student with a 30 hour a week job. Usually wake up at 5 am to get a session in.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I can only go after but the later evening workouts haven't hurt me yet

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually go after work but if I'm too lazy, I'll make it up early in the morning before work.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been fortunate enough to have a job where I can work from home and run over to the gym if I can get an hour free, but I used to have to just go after work.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually go after work but if I'm too lazy, I'll make it up early in the morning before work.
I figured being lazy would be going after work so you didn't have to wake up early lol

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I figured being lazy would be going after work so you didn't have to wake up early lol
Lol, it's more like feel guilty and make it up early in the morning.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I always had to go straight from work to the gym because I would simply make excuses to not go if I stopped off at home. I'd get home and just embrace the lazy.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
If you are serious about the bodybuilding lifestyle you will always find a way to make it work. Considering that even at the pro level bodybuilders don't make a lot of money, most have a day job and still manage to get the pro level training sessions in.
I work a full time job ... generally about 9-10 hours a day this time of year. Up at 5:45 every morning to go to work .... most days I am off by 4-4:30 and then its straight to the gym. 4 days a week for me. Sometimes I will have a hectic day and have to skip that days training but I ALWAYS make it up on Saturday. I don't feel right if I don't get my 4 sessions in each week. Training is also very cathartic for me .... if I didn't get my iron therapy in I would be a complete mess and everything else in my life would surely suffer. During my slow season I switch things up and often train mid-day. Leave my phone in the truck and sneak off for a nice 90 minute session. At this point if anyone is trying to get a hold of me and I am not answering its assumed I am training. As long as I get my work done nobody really cares ... I am the General Manager of the company and paid salary so its not about how many hours I work ..its about getting the job done and posting good numbers. As I am sure everyone here feels .... I would love to have a different job that allowed me more time to focus on bodybuilding. I even considered a career change and getting into the fitness/training industry ... but very few make much money doing that .... hard to compete with what I am getting paid in my current career.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always had to go straight from work to the gym because I would simply make excuses to not go if I stopped off at home. I'd get home and just embrace the lazy.
That's usually how I do it, too, but on the weekends if I wait too long, I just say F it. My gym has a sh*tty weekend schedule. Sat-8-6. Sun-8-2. Why?!?!?

btothefman

Awards
I find it hard to fit time in so only do Wednesday Friday Saturday Sunday. 2 days of legs (one glute dominant one quad dominant) then a day of vertical push/pull and a horizontal push pull.

Reason is that I'm cutting so want to cycle carbs, I find it easier to stick to the routine if I align it to when I'm working out.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Not trying to be "that guy", but as mentioned above, if you're serious about it you'll find time. I spent 6 months working outside in 120+ degrees for 12-14 hours a day, and still hit the gym after work. The human body is capable of amazing things, and so are you if your mindset is strong enough.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not trying to be "that guy", but as mentioned above, if you're serious about it you'll find time. I spent 6 months working outside in 120+ degrees for 12-14 hours a day, and still hit the gym after work. The human body is capable of amazing things, and so are you if your mindset is strong enough.
I don't think you're being "that guy" at all by speaking the truth. It's like anything. If it's something that you want; you'll make sacrifices.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
That's usually how I do it, too, but on the weekends if I wait too long, I just say F it. My gym has a sh*tty weekend schedule. Sat-8-6. Sun-8-2. Why?!?!?
My gym has TERRIBLE weekend hours too. 8-4 on Sat/Sun, holidays, down days, family days, etc.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I don't think you're being "that guy" at all by speaking the truth. It's like anything. If it's something that you want; you'll make sacrifices.
Fair enough, thanks for seeing it in the way that I meant it lol.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Ahh!
Mine too!
5am-12am

Ok sorry they have great hours
I was in Korea for a year and they had a 24 hour gym with great equipment. Only thing missing was a machine for hacks and reverse hypers, other than that, any Hammer Strength machine you could want, multiple racks, 2 full DB racks, spacious...good god I miss that gym lol.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
50-55 hours a week here, but get in 4 sessions a week. I just have to get up at 5 and get to the gym.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Full time job and a kid, lol. I have to go early, around 530 am or will never get it in

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
im single, full time career, kids in which i have full custody... never had a problem training... i recently set up a power rack and a few bars/variety of weights at the house for conventional purposes

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Hats off to those of you with kids that still manage to do it. I already know I'll be sacrificing more sleep than the average parent whenever the time comes that I have kids. I've been mentally preparing myself since the wife and I have been talking about it lol

Mrbolt84

Mrbolt84

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the gym at 3 am every day. At work by 530am. I work in the pipelining construction trade...
My co workers and wife think I'm crazy...they just don't understand the addiction.
I also have 2 kids..3 year old and a 10 week old.
Life is hectic but I love it

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
My gym opens at 5 AM so it depends on the day what I try to do. I am also trying to cut for my wedding in a few weeks and the trip to Mexico the following month. Today I was up at 4:30 AM, hit the gym at 5 for my normal 5x5. Company policy dictates that I now HAVE to take lunch at least 3 days a week so I take a long lunch and will use that today for about 45 minutes of stairs. Maybe after work I will go for a less intense liss session to make me feel better about the cake and pizza at the office yesterday >.<

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the gym at 3 am every day. At work by 530am. I work in the pipelining construction trade...
My co workers and wife think I'm crazy...they just don't understand the addiction.
I also have 2 kids..3 year old and a 10 week old.
Life is hectic but I love it
Thats awesome. I wish my gym was open earlier so if I could nail waking up at 4 I wouldn't have to rush to be in by 6:30. Ideally I would be at work by 5:30 but nope.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Hats off to those of you with kids that still manage to do it. I already know I'll be sacrificing more sleep than the average parent whenever the time comes that I have kids. I've been mentally preparing myself since the wife and I have been talking about it lol
Already there. My participation in this forum stopped, and gym stopped after I needed new shoes(only excuse I needed). Found any excuse to be home really. The kettlebell preserved my deadlift to an extent and helped me condition at home leading up to my return to the gym. Now my daughter asks to go because of the daycare they have there so there is no excuse anymore after work. :)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bro, no excuses. On top of the 55 hour work week, I have 4 and 8 year old daughters that have soccer, lacrosse, martial arts, and ballet 5 days a week and games on Saturdays. We typically get home and eat dinner around 8pm during the week.

You find a way to make it all work and the gym is part of it.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Already there. My participation in this forum stopped, and gym stopped after I needed new shoes(only excuse I needed). Found any excuse to be home really. The kettlebell preserved my deadlift to an extent and helped me condition at home leading up to my return to the gym. Now my daughter asks to go because of the daycare they have there so there is no excuse anymore after work. :)
Bro, no excuses. On top of the 55 hour work week, I have 4 and 8 year old daughters that have soccer, lacrosse, martial arts, and ballet 5 days a week and games on Saturdays. We typically get home and eat dinner around 8pm during the week.

You find a way to make it all work and the gym is part of it.
Good shyt guys, just goes to show it can be done. It's all about what you make of your time and how important it is to you.