PLEASE HELP ME

hesse666

Awards
Please help me I don't know where I am going wrong I have been working out for about 2 year on and off with not a good change in my physic hope someone can help

hesse666

Awards
I work out every other day in this order
Bicep
Tricep
Chest
Shoulder
Back
Legs / abs

hesse666

Awards
I try and do 6 exercises per body part with 4 sets of 11 each

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How long have you been doing this program? Maybe it's time to switch up? Have you taken any progress pics?

JG93

JG93

Awards
What Puccaha said..
Also, I am sensing you don't really have a routine. Based on the way your EOD gym days are, it could be much better.

Sometimes you need to shock the body with a change in routines. Look them up on the net.. Maybe Arnold's blueprint to cut. Or many more!
Make sure diet is right and sleep is on track.
If those are off, you are off.
Goodluck

polarcat

polarcat

Awards
  • Established
Once you have a routine, make sure you push yourself and progress. The body will just stay the same if you don't give it a reason to change. Look around online but full body m/w/f would be good or a 4 day split either push/pull or upper/lower. Take a second look at your diet too

maxtorres91

Awards
Do you do this every time you workout ? What's you're age, what equipment do you use (machine, free weights, dumb bells.... Etc). Are you eating for your goals, what's your rest time in between and do you always do the same rep range? Have you changed your routine and techniques used since you began 2 years ago? There's plenty of more questions but we need more info in order to help.

maxtorres91

Awards
In my opinion 32 exercises for a total of 128 sets is way too much even for a full body workout. Your cns and energy can't possibly sustain a strong effort for that amount of volume. How long are you spending in the gym?

hesse666

Awards
I only do one body part per day and I changed it about 3 month ago I use mainly free weights I am 40 6'1" and weigh about 246lbs

JG93

JG93

Awards
I only do one body part per day and I changed it about 3 month ago I use mainly free weights I am 40 6'1" and weigh about 246lbs
BF?

You need to check your diet. Make sure you are also ingesting ample amount of protein. You have to assist your muscles protein synthesis especially when you are consistently working the muscles.

Here is the steps in order from most important:

1. Diet
2. Sleep
3. Routine
4. Workout

Why?
Without diet, your sleep is usually off, your routine is pointless and your workouts are useless.

Diet in check, sleep (recovery) in Check, routine in check, and workout... In check

Make sure you aren't just prancing around the gym aimlessly working out.

One of the biggest things I learned, was what the machine does for my body. How my muscle reacts to the push or pull eccentric etc...

Then I was able to properly lift.

Routine, instead of one muscle a day, group them.

Back Biceps
Chest triceps
Legs abs
Etc..

Grouping will help you much better

Work in the 8-12 rep range for 4 sets each routine. MAX WEIGHT for that rep range. Don't be afraid to near failure.

If you aren't pumping enough, superset workouts.

You can workout long or you can workout hard. But you can't do both.

Make your time count!

maxtorres91

Awards
JG93 is completely right. Once you get your base then your ready for more. Stick to free weights and mainly compound movements for a while. Push yourself to lift as heavy as you can with good form. Go online and find yourself a good program if you don't feel like making your own for now. A natty lifter benefits much more from heavy lifts and working areas more than once a week. This may not be what you are ready for just yet but keep that in mind. As it is right now you're working any single body part once every 12 or so days. That's way too long in between in between training days. Another thing you can try to stimulate some results is cutting your rest time in between sets. At 90 seconds you replenish about 80% of your maximal strength after a maximal effort ( this is generalize statement, you personally may be different) so if you're going submaximal and want a pump there is no need for longer than that. You'll get a hell of a workout if you cut it even lower. Make sure that you are getting some joint support supplements as you are 40 and we naturally begin to loose the ability to recover as well and as quickly around that age. I hope this helps. I suggest you read up on workout frequency, intensity, and volume and see how those thing affect your results. Those are the key factors to trigger enough micro damage to get growth.

hesse666

Awards
Thank you for your good ideas what is the best body parts to do together and which order ?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look into PHAT perhaps.

I do a modified version of it and enjoy it.
Upper Power day, Lower Power Day, then a 3-4 day split depending on the week

hesse666

Awards
What about
Bicep /Tricep
Shoulder /forearm
Chest/ abs
Back/ legs

maxtorres91

Awards
Thank you for your good ideas what is the best body parts to do together and which order ?
My personal grouping right now is

Chest/triceps/calves
Back/biceps/abs
Legs (volume) /abs
Shoulders/forearms/calves
Legs ( higher intensity) /abs

I do this to work push muscles together and pull muscles together

maxtorres91

Awards
What about
Bicep /Tricep
Shoulder /forearm
Chest/ abs
Back/ legs
I would not group back and legs together right now because the free weight exercises for these two parts are very taxing on the body and your core works hard to do them right so then your core is likely to tire out and loose form. This is more of an advance grouping and usually done for power lifting. I have done it before but I been doing these thing for a long time and have a strong enough core to keep me safe. Leave that for down the road, once you are familiar with powerlifting

JordyMcBallin

JordyMcBallin

Awards
Set aside a day every week for big component lifts. Deadlift, bench, squat, shoulder press, and leg press with different foot placement variations.

JordyMcBallin

JordyMcBallin

Awards
Big lifts are what causes the most test to be produced to grow. Not saying others don't, but you WILL grow with these lifts.

JG93

JG93

Awards
Thanks for the advice I hope it helps and works
I also wouldn't put Bi's and tri's together.
You are better off adding Bi's to back and tri's to chest.
This way you can put forward maximum effort to each muscle. Trying to do your whole upper arm, is only going to pump you out quickly, and not give you enough of an excercise to properly tear your muscles.

Check out Arnold's blueprint to cut or bulk. Revise it for you, and follow it.
He has muscle grouping on a schedule.
It is a lot of work, so you can make it fit your schedule. It just gives you something to work from.
Goodluck!

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also wouldn't put Bi's and tri's together.
You are better off adding Bi's to back and tri's to chest.
This way you can put forward maximum effort to each muscle. Trying to do your whole upper arm, is only going to pump you out quickly, and not give you enough of an excercise to properly tear your muscles.

Check out Arnold's blueprint to cut or bulk. Revise it for you, and follow it.
He has muscle grouping on a schedule.
It is a lot of work, so you can make it fit your schedule. It just gives you something to work from.
Goodluck!
I don't think this is really true.

You use triceps a lot in chest movements and bis in back movements. Doing an arm only day allows for isolation. I do a modified PHAT and do chest/tri back/bi one week and chest/back bis/tris the next. I'm growing just fine, if not better than before.

hesse666

Awards
I am going to try doing Bicep/Tricep
Chest/back
Shoulder/abs
Legs

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Chest/back
Shoulder/abs
Legs
Personally, I wouldn't do chest/back bi/tri every week, but I have a few buddies that do it and enjoy it.

I usually do Upper Power, Lower Power, Chest/Tri, Back/Bi, Legs, Shoulders one week and Upper Power, Lower Power, Chest/Back, Bis/Tris/Shoulders, Legs.

I do abs 4-5x a week, though.

maxtorres91

Awards
How many exercises per body part ?
I would do 3-4 four now. And make sure you put the compound lifts first. For example if I'm doing back and biceps and my lifts are bent over row, curls, seated row, pull downs, preacher curls, deadlifts, and incline bench curls then your order would go as follow:

Deadlift
Bent over rows
Seated row
Pull downs
Incline bench curls
Curls
Preacher curls

Reason for this is because in this case deadlifts will recruit the most muscles and require more core work so you want to do it fresh, second "hardest" would be bent over rows and so on and so on. Isolation work should be at the end. Again this is my opinion and what works for me, so do with it what you want. Ultimately you are the one doing it.

JG93

JG93

Awards
I would do 3-4 four now. And make sure you put the compound lifts first. For example if I'm doing back and biceps and my lifts are bent over row, curls, seated row, pull downs, preacher curls, deadlifts, and incline bench curls then your order would go as follow:

Deadlift
Bent over rows
Seated row
Pull downs
Incline bench curls
Curls
Preacher curls

Reason for this is because in this case deadlifts will recruit the most muscles and require more core work so you want to do it fresh, second "hardest" would be bent over rows and so on and so on. Isolation work should be at the end. Again this is my opinion and what works for me, so do with it what you want. Ultimately you are the one doing it.

Very well said, great job

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Chest/back
Shoulder/abs
Legs
Thats simple and straight forward. I think thats good. Once you get a better hold on it, you can modify if needed. Good luck.

hesse666

Awards
Should I have a rest day between each workout day ?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Should I have a rest day between each workout day ?
It's not needed, but do what you can. I do legs, chest, back, and then arms 4 days in a row with no rest in between. Sometimes I throw a rest day in there just because I get busy with work and have to shift my schedule.

hesse666

Awards
I think I will try 2 days then 1 day rest 2 days then 1 day rest