Crossfit exposed my weakens

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Hopefully the title captured your attention. Yes, I know a lot consider their moves cheating, and consider it bad etc, etc, etc… However, check it out…

Im a gym rat, I lift and like it, and a cardio guy. I thought I would be good at crossfit. Well, I am “re-learning” Olympic style lifting, every undertrained mussel screamed at me, and I felt like my heart was going to come out of my chest! I also discovered lifting has me stiff, and not very flexible. Not going to become a crossfit junkie, but I def want to mix it into my gym routine.

Has anyone else benefited from this type of cross training?

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I love crossfit. Used to do it 6 days a week but i found it hindered my strength gains. I made gains but since switching from crossfit to just weight training and cardio my big 3 lifts are all up 100+ pounds in like 10 months

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Its good for being in ridiculously good condition though. Maybe i couldnt afford to eat enough to make the gains i wanted while working that hard but still.... If it fits your goals and you have a good coach that will teach you good form then its great

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I love crossfit. Used to do it 6 days a week but i found it hindered my strength gains. I made gains but since switching from crossfit to just weight training and cardio my big 3 lifts are all up 100+ pounds in like 10 months
I can def. see some weaknesses in the crossfit arena. They don't do much for chest, and the "glory" muscles wont pop as much. Probably why a lot of my friends that have done crossfit for years barely look like they work out. Then again, some of my hardcore friends are **** diesel.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Its good for being in ridiculously good condition though. Maybe i couldnt afford to eat enough to make the gains i wanted while working that hard but still.... If it fits your goals and you have a good coach that will teach you good form then its great
Just wondering, do you intermix training now? It seems like the combo of both would make you one BA athlete.

I got the cardio, and strength down... just need to learn the forms. Once I nail that, I would love to compete with these guys.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I still do some olympic lifting but thats as close as i come to mixing it in.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can def. see some weaknesses in the crossfit arena. They don't do much for chest, and the "glory" muscles wont pop as much. Probably why a lot of my friends that have done crossfit for years barely look like they work out. Then again, some of my hardcore friends are **** diesel.
Yeah, but if you loved crossfit you wouldn't see it as a weakness. You don't have to have a big/string chest for that.

Just like I don't care about glory muscles when I deadlift.

...to a degree.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Yeah, but if you loved crossfit you wouldn't see it as a weakness. You don't have to have a big/string chest for that.
Just like I don't care about glory muscles when I deadlift.
...to a degree.
I get what your saying... I have only done it 2x, so I don't have a love for it. I find there are weaknesses in only lifting or only doing crossfit. I am an "extreme sports" kind of guy, when I enter a new sport it always reveal the weaker parts of my body. So the combo of both is really appealing to me to be a well rounded athlete.

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
I also discovered lifting has me stiff, and not very flexible. Not going to become a crossfit junkie, but I def want to mix it into my gym routine.
If you are agetting stiff and unflexible, it most likely is because you aren't properly stretching. I didnt properly stretch for years while lifting and eventually became so stiff taht even shallow squatting positions (like a deadlift lift off /start position) became painful.

a lot of my friends that have done crossfit for years barely look like they work out.
same with my friends. its great for conditioning but if you are into lifting hard for growth , then its not the best thing for it. i lift for gains and strength

nathanroe

nathanroe

Awards
Crossfit is a very much effected workout for fitness. If your body can't afford the workout then you should just leave it. It's not your fault but it's about your health.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
If you are agetting stiff and unflexible, it most likely is because you aren't properly stretching.
Although I am generally more flexible when I don't lift, I have to admit, I have significantly lacked in the stretching area.

Crossfit is a very much effected workout for fitness. If your body can't afford the workout then you should just leave it. It's not your fault but it's about your health.
Hey bro, I am well conditioned, but like any new sport your weaknesses really get exposed. For instance, I went to the rock climbing gym, and did 8 climbs. My forearms were shot for 3-days! Similar, Crossfit has provided me a way to see areas I really need to train more. I think its a great sport to "mix in" with the gym.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
When i did crossfit 5-6 days a week i was a lean 183 and couldnt gain weight and also wasnt as strong as i wouldve liked. Now im an almost as lean 225 and way stronger and ive come to the realization that i cant afford to eat enough to maintain or gain while doing crossfit. I would eat my family out of house and home lol

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
When i did crossfit 5-6 days a week i was a lean 183 and couldnt gain weight and also wasnt as strong as i wouldve liked. Now im an almost as lean 225 and way stronger and ive come to the realization that i cant afford to eat enough to maintain or gain while doing crossfit. I would eat my family out of house and home lol
That's funny, and 42lbs is a massive difference! When I bike I always drop weight. I fought to stay above 170 last year, I am 180(s) now, and feel much stronger. I enjoy being a well rounded athlete, but would rather keep a little size/strength. No one has ever said to me, "You look skinny, I bet you can bike 40 miles." They have def said, you been working out, you look good. Not that compliments are why I workout, but there is def a difference in appearance from one sport to the next.

BTW, do you still mix in Crossfit? I am only doing 1-day per week.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I dont. My wife loves crossfit so after she has the baby shes gonna go back to it and i might mix in a couple days a week for extra conditioning but its expensive so right now i dont. Right now lifting is bringing me to my goals so im sticking with that for now.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I dont. My wife loves crossfit so after she has the baby shes gonna go back to it and i might mix in a couple days a week for extra conditioning but its expensive so right now i dont. Right now lifting is bringing me to my goals so im sticking with that for now.
Im with you, bro. Its a lot of $$$$$. I snagged a groupon for 10 drop ins for $20! Couldn't pass it up.