Routine modification for cut

andreasy

Awards
I'm 42 and have just completed my bulking programme and so I'm about to begin my summer cutting program.

Here's my current routine
Day 1: chest, biceps
Day 2: legs, abs
Day 3: back, triceps, abs
Day 4: rest
Day 5: shoulders, abs, lower back
Day 6: rest
Day 7: rotate one of the above according to last point

Every session starts with 10-12 minutes warm-up on either treadmill or elliptical which I usually do in intervals (fast-slow-steady)

My thought is to leave the above routine untouched and just change warm-up to 20 minutes or maybe incorporate a few minutes at finish. I'm also thinking to add another day in the week for cardio only.

What do you think? Please advice which is the best method as well as if it's necessary to modify this in small steps, gradually increasing the aerobic duration.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Honestly your training shouldnt really change, so leaving it how it is like you said would be good. You should still lift heavy as before, this will ensure your muscle stays when the fat goes. The variable in a cut should be diet primarily and cardio. Start off with diet and the same routine. Then as you plateau increase the cardio as you said. Also i find post workout cardio to be better because too much cardio before training can drain my energy and in a deficit i need all the energy i can get lol

andreasy

Awards
Exactly the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks.

How about my supplements that I'm saving for cutting season? I have CLA, fat burner and l-carnitine? I'm thinking to start them only after I've completed some progress with diet and cardio and lost some weight instead of starting them together. Is it the correct approach? And is it correct to use them together or first you start one of those and then the other?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Exactly the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks.

How about my supplements that I'm saving for cutting season? I have CLA, fat burner and l-carnitine? I'm thinking to start them only after I've completed some progress with diet and cardio and lost some weight instead of starting them together. Is it the correct approach? And is it correct to use them together or first you start one of those and then the other?
Your on the right track. Save them until your progress slows, then incorporate them. Truthfully not sure how effective cla will be, but you will find out for sure the way your going to do it. Ive used carnitine in the past as well.

andreasy

Awards
Your on the right track. Save them until your progress slows, then incorporate them. Truthfully not sure how effective cla will be, but you will find out for sure the way your going to do it. Ive used carnitine in the past as well.
Thanks, well CLA and carnitine, even the fat burners aren't really effective without hard diet. I know that they will help only at 1% but I still use them mostly for psychological support.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks, well CLA and carnitine, even the fat burners aren't really effective without hard diet. I know that they will help only at 1% but I still use them mostly for psychological support.
Exactly. I mean everything helps. The fat burners should give you a nice boost on your cardio.