Can power lifting make you slower?(speed)

Austinstarkey

Awards
I'm wondering if power lifting can make you slower while sprinting? I'm on the track team now, but I've been lifting and trying to gain as much muscle as possible for football. This last few weeks my legs feel huge and harder to run.. So does anyone know why this could be? I'm not trying to say Im the biggest mofo out there I'm just really curious and we do 1200 meters of sprints total a day never going over 400meters at a time. Thanks for your time here are my stats..
Deadlift-465lbs.
Squat-455
Bench-275
Power clean-265
Weight-175
Height-5'11

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
Well rule of thumb is: the larger you are the quicker you will gas out.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
...and the larger you are the slower you are. It's not the strength or the exercises themselves slowing you down.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering if power lifting can make you slower while sprinting? I'm on the track team now, but I've been lifting and trying to gain as much muscle as possible for football. This last few weeks my legs feel huge and harder to run.. So does anyone know why this could be? I'm not trying to say Im the biggest mofo out there I'm just really curious and we do 1200 meters of sprints total a day never going over 400meters at a time. Thanks for your time here are my stats..
Deadlift-465lbs.
Squat-455
Bench-275
Power clean-265
Weight-175
Height-5'11
As a track coach who believes speed is honed, if not built, in the weight room, the major question I would have for you is how is your bar speed?
Lifting can slow you primarily through three mechanisms
1) you lifting is fatiguing you before you run/race (then you are doing too much volume
2) you are adding too much mass vs. your strength (focus less on hyertrophy)
3) you are ingrains get bad motor patterns with slow bar speed

Austinstarkey

Awards
I usually do low reps high weight because of our program we're doing now. And on squats we always go down slow the explode up. But we do lift before practice.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I usually do low reps high weight because of our program we're doing now. And on squats we always go down slow the explode up. But we do lift before practice.
I that case, are you slower as measured in your running in practice or in competition.
If it is just the former, that is natural: you are running fatigued by the lifting. If it is the latter, then something else is the culprit.

My guys lift in the AM, run in the PM and have gotten faster with few exceptions and fewer injuries. . .