Deep Tissue Massage Therapy and Plateaus

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
Last week, I got a deep tissue massage in my back, traps, arms, and chest. Felt awesome. Next day, I felt loads stronger and even went up a couple of maxes.

Anyone else find DTT helpful for breaking through plateaus? The science behind it makes sense.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Isn't it a more intense method of foam rolling / MFR / SMFR?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure what you mean by the science behind it, but it's a tool in the kit. I wouldn't say it'll help to break plateaus as its a form of prehab/recovery.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There's only so much you can get from an abstract, but you'd need parameters on what exactly is "massage therapy."
Full article if you are curious http://www.fasciacongress.org/2012Archive/congress/data/_pdf/9.1.5_Massage_Therapy_Attenuates_Inflammatory_Signaling_After_Exercise-Induced_Muscle_Damage.pdf

I think Jay Cutler is a big fan of massage and claims that it helped him, but he also has a lot of other things helping him as well. I agree with Rodja as it is one tool among many, but worth looking into if you can afford it.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think I'm going to book a deep tissue massage. I've had one before and enjoyed it. I think it is just a good idea to get one once in a while for general maintenance. Plus, groupon has a 50% off coupon today and tomorrow :D

jmaplewood

Awards
I got one a couple weeks ago, and it was awesome. But don't get one 2 days after starting a new leg workout. I was almost crying when she did my legs. I felt great afterwards. Don't know if I got any stronger, but my next workout was killer.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i got one last week. It was given to me as a gift. The guy lifted my scapula, and it felt wonderful. I can now get a better contraction on the left side of my back, and I can also get better retraction of the scapula as well as better mind muscle connection to the pecs. I would highly recommend getting one if you can find a good practitioner.