adding MASS to genetically challenged muscle groups

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Title says it all folks
I just can't manage to fukin add mass to my shoulders and calves no matter how hard I try so I'm seeking advice and for people who is like me what did u do to over come this issue?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't work calves so I can't comment there. If I did I would try rest-pause sets and other flex/hold varieties. John Meadows proposes doing Dorsiflexion work as well.

For shoulders, my opinion is that volume is key. Lots of lat raises, and throw in some easy finishers like rear delt destroyers, spider crawls, and six-ways.

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't work calves so I can't comment there. If I did I would try rest-pause sets and other flex/hold varieties. John Meadows proposes doing Dorsiflexion work as well.

For shoulders, my opinion is that volume is key. Lots of lat raises, and throw in some easy finishers like rear delt destroyers, spider crawls, and six-ways.
Thank u for suggestions I looked all of them up and will include them in my workout routine.
if any of you guys have links to workout programs that address these specific issues would be great.

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
the only thing that my calves have grown with is DC style training. I want to see if consistently doing occlusion training for my calves produces any good results (had good luck with other bodyparts) but, especially for calves that is super painful. For Shoulders Id have to agree with Register volume is key. I like running the rack with side laterals as one technique.

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
the only thing that my calves have grown with is DC style training. I want to see if consistently doing occlusion training for my calves produces any good results (had good luck with other bodyparts) but, especially for calves that is super painful. For Shoulders Id have to agree with Register volume is key. I like running the rack with side laterals as one technique.
Where are you wrapping for calves?

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Just below the knee. I have also tried it before wrapped at the upper thigh as soon as I finished quads.... But I was so ready to get the wraps off I didn't make it long into calves haha. You know how painful/ almost panic feeling occlusion training gets you.
But just below the knee seems to work

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
To OP so many things you can try. But one approach that has scientific backing says this: higher volume is the key to building muscle and also protein synthesis returns to baseline in most trained individuals 36 hrs after training that muscle.. Start hitting those delts and calves with more volume and every other day or at least twice a week... Also Ben Pakulski talks a lot about hitting a muscle over a full strength curve and says weak body parts are often weak in the shortened position.. Also loaded stretching that was done in Dr. Jacob Wilsons study works great for calves and all other weak body parts I've tried it on

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
Just below the knee. I have also tried it before wrapped at the upper thigh as soon as I finished quads.... But I was so ready to get the wraps off I didn't make it long into calves haha. You know how painful/ almost panic feeling occlusion training gets you.
But just below the knee seems to work
Was asking because I've done it for calves before but wrapping up high like for quads/hams not terribly painful for me. I personally thing the intra set loaded stretching is more painful than anything.. Maybe I don't wrap tight enough but i get a sick pump muscle turns kind of red etc. I've had my leg turn blue before too though that actually did hurt.. But yes I know exactly what type of
panic feeling you get because you're trying to get those wraps off asap when you finish haha!

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To OP so many things you can try. But one approach that has scientific backing says this: higher volume is the key to building muscle and also protein synthesis returns to baseline in most trained individuals 36 hrs after training that muscle.. Start hitting those delts and calves with more volume and every other day or at least twice a week... Also Ben Pakulski talks a lot about hitting a muscle over a full strength curve and says weak body parts are often weak in the shortened position.. Also loaded stretching that was done in Dr. Jacob Wilsons study works great for calves and all other weak body parts I've tried it on
Thanks bro
When u say high volume u mean 10 to 12 reps or we r talking higher than that per set?

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Was asking because I've done it for calves before but wrapping up high like for quads/hams not terribly painful for me. I personally thing the intra set loaded stretching is more painful than anything.. Maybe I don't wrap tight enough but i get a sick pump muscle turns kind of red etc. I've had my leg turn blue before too though that actually did hurt.. But yes I know exactly what type of
panic feeling you get because you're trying to get those wraps off asap when you finish haha!
Thanks I'll try wrapping higher. About to head in now I'll give it a shot

Famine

Famine

Awards
From a guy who has worked his genetically small calves every way possible for over 20 years, I'd recommend this strategy: just come to terms with small calves. :worried:

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
Thanks bro
When u say high volume u mean 10 to 12 reps or we r talking higher than that per set?
Sorry high volume is a relevant term and I should have said "enough volume" because volume is personal.. Let me explain.. Volume doesn't necessarily mean reps per set. Researchers have determined that volume is the greatest contributor to muscle growth as far as training variables go... In order for you to understand this we must use the same definition of volume as the researchers use. Volume as far as scientific literature goes means the total "poundage" you do for a given exercise/muscle.

So volume =sets x reps x weight... Ex. 3 sets of 10 reps with 100 pounds equals 3,000 pounds of volume. Therefore you can see that the given equation we can achieve a great training stimulus from a variety of set and rep ranges and don't HAVE to stick with a moderate number of reps (8-12) to accrue enough volume although this classic bodybuilding scheme is a great way to do it..

With that being said, the amount of training volume that someone will need/tolerate is totally individual and will increase over time. You need to stick with an amount of volume that will provide a growth response for you but will also allow your body to recover for the next training session... Which should be in the next 3 or so days.. Find this amount of volume for you personally then you will see faster and more consistent progress with every muscle group whether they are lagging or not..

My advice to you is don't be afraid to push the envelope hit those lagging muscle groups every other day with as much volume as you can tolerate. Which might be a lot more than you have ever done. This is simple but it will get you better and faster results than any special training technique.

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry high volume is a relevant term and I should have said "enough volume" because volume is personal.. Let me explain.. Volume doesn't necessarily mean reps per set. Researchers have determined that volume is the greatest contributor to muscle growth as far as training variables go... In order for you to understand this we must use the same definition of volume as the researchers use. Volume as far as scientific literature goes means the total "poundage" you do for a given exercise/muscle.

So volume =sets x reps x weight... Ex. 3 sets of 10 reps with 100 pounds equals 3,000 pounds of volume. Therefore you can see that the given equation we can achieve a great training stimulus from a variety of set and rep ranges and don't HAVE to stick with a moderate number of reps (8-12) to accrue enough volume although this classic bodybuilding scheme is a great way to do it..

With that being said, the amount of training volume that someone will need/tolerate is totally individual and will increase over time. You need to stick with an amount of volume that will provide a growth response for you but will also allow your body to recover for the next training session... Which should be in the next 3 or so days.. Find this amount of volume for you personally then you will see faster and more consistent progress with every muscle group whether they are lagging or not..

My advice to you is don't be afraid to push the envelope hit those lagging muscle groups every other day with as much volume as you can tolerate. Which might be a lot more than you have ever done. This is simple but it will get you better and faster results than any special training technique.
Thanks man for taking the time to write that and I def agree on pushing the limits on these lagging muscles .

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From a guy who has worked his genetically small calves every way possible for over 20 years, I'd recommend this strategy: just come to terms with small calves. :worried:
Which strategy worked for u ?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I found high volume and condistency work well for shoulders. I do heavy weight, but i try to lean more towards volume and hit them more often. At certain point especially in the summer when im full tilt im hitting side laterals for high reps at least four times a week. I do still fully train shoulders and go heavier, but volume always made my shoulders grow more.

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found high volume and condistency work well for shoulders. I do heavy weight, but i try to lean more towards volume and hit them more often. At certain point especially in the summer when im full tilt im hitting side laterals for high reps at least four times a week. I do still fully train shoulders and go heavier, but volume always made my shoulders grow more.
did hitting lateral raises 4 times a week effected ur shoulder negatively?

N

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
Some muscle groups for me only respond with high rep sets. My side delts get hard on standing DB shoulder presses on sets 20,15,10. Its almost finding what works best and working with your body. I do have some advice, don't trust a burn too much. My triceps rarely burn, even when shifted to a close grip press. Biceps are always hit during pullups and are always sore after.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Intra set stretching/ loaded stretching has definitely added some size to my calves. Also hitting them more often has helped. On the weeks i really focus on them i can see and feel the differerence.

One tip i was always told was on the days when my food intake was the highest to work my weakest muscle groups. Or if for instence i had a cheat day, hit the weak points on or the following day.

JG93

JG93

Awards
Title says it all folks
I just can't manage to fukin add mass to my shoulders and calves no matter how hard I try so I'm seeking advice and for people who is like me what did u do to over come this issue?
Before the gym, load up with a pre workout meal.

When you start working them out, worry less about massive amount of weight.
Find a good 8-12 rep weight, then start there. I say aim for 4 sets of 8 because if you squeeze right, you will burn right.

When you lift, squeeze squeeze squeeze and hold hold hold, then release and come down controlled, not to fast. Then lift, and do the same.

Same goes for calves. You have to really squeeze those muscles.
Do that for a week or so.

Take pictures now, flexed. And after 2 sets of each workout, see if you see a minimal change.
If so, you have done something right.

ALSO! Don't forget that your lifting routine needs switched every so often!

Goodluck!

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks yall so much great advices in this thread thank u so much.