Squat and deadlift options/alternatives

Bengal

Bengal

Awards
Due to a prior back injury and surgery. It is not in my best interest to do either exercise with any significant amount of weight. I could certainly do GVT with light weight. 135 shouldn't be an issue. My goal is muscle growth. Strength is not any concern. Does anyone have any suggestions to alternatives or should I just stick with the above plan? Thanks

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I gave up both and just stick to heavy accessories now.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
GVT will work, along with accessories... i never squat heavy and have no problem progressing

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
I'll honestly say that I've seen better leg development once I stopped squatting and did more leg press and v squats. I use to religiously squat and it was actually my favorite lift, and could move a lot of weight. I stopped due to a knee injury and started leg pressing as soon as I was able to. The leg press is what I've seen better results with.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
The leg press is useless unless you are injured or too fat to squat.
Neither one of those covers me, I'm healed up enough to squat, but I'm after results, not blindly following something that I've always thought had to be done. And maybe you should tell that to Dorian Yates, who said himself he didn't squat anymore after becoming a pro, because he got better results with the leg press.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
GVT and accessory work sounds like a great idea.

Aside from that, pull ups and lunges all day, everyday.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Split squats (Bulgarian Split Squats) are totally fine for anyone with a back injury. You're putting all the force into one leg, with very little load on the spine.

Weighted carries (farmer walks) could be a good alternative to deadlifts as well. But if you can handle it, rack pulls will be safer on the back than standard deads, or you can try sumo deads.

imlee888

Awards
Try sumo, or different deadlift variations. Just focus on moving up slowly and you'll be okay