OHP: Strict Press vs. Push Press

Famine

Famine

Awards
I've done a bit of searching and didn't come across this exact topic, so I'll give it a shot. If it already exists, feel free to link it.

I'm pondering my movements between standing strict press and push press. In a strict press, there is no movement in the feet, knees, and hips. The bar goes straight up and you push your head through. In the push press, there can be a little dip and push in the knees and hips to accelerate the weight up over your head.

First question: What if the movement is in the feet only, as in the heals come up? Is that still a strict press, or is it a push press with minimal knee and him movement?

Second question (I'll try to describe the situation best I can): If you do not push your head through the hole during an OHP, let's say the bar was slightly in front of your head, fully raised, but more in line with your nose instead of your spine because your head chest is slightly back, is that an acceptable shoulder press?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1) Based on me practicing a weightless ohp and nothing else gives but my heel, I'd say it's still strict. However, I think you lose some core by going on your toes and its limiting your press.

2) If your shoulders/elbows lock out, why not? This particular lift doesn't have specific judging rules, i.e., three whites for form.

Famine

Famine

Awards
just want to know why you are asking?
When I do it, the bar is a little bit in front of my head as opposed to directly over my spine. But my numbers are good and it feels okay. I was just trying to see if it's something I should amend.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you doing this for competition or just for your own training?

jaces

jaces

Awards
if its for your own training , then i dont think it matters in the end

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
if its for your own training , then i dont think it matters in the end
That's why I asked. If it works for you and you're making progress without injury, keep on keepin' on.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

capo180

Awards
  • Established
If you can't press it out to where it forms a straight line with your back then you got some shoulder mobility issues in there.

Famine

Famine

Awards
If you can't press it out to where it forms a straight line with your back then you got some shoulder mobility issues in there.
Without a doubt, I do. I should probably work on that.