High and Low Rep DUP Produces Similar Hypertrophy and Strength Adaptations

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Volume-Equated High and Low Repetition Daily Undulating Programming Strategies Produce Similar Hypertrophy and Strength Adaptations

The overarching aim of this study was to compare volume-equated high repetition daily undulating periodization (DUPHR) vs. a low repetition daily undulating periodization (DUPLR) program for muscle performance. Sixteen college-aged (23±3yrs) resistance-trained males were counterbalanced into one of two groups: 1) DUPHR (n=8), with a weekly training order of 12 repetitions (Day 1), 10 repetitions (Day 2), and 8 repetitions (Day 3) or 2) DUPLR (n=8), with a weekly training order of 6 repetitions (Day 1), 4 repetitions (Day 2), and 2 repetitions (Day 3). Both groups trained 3x/wk. for 8 weeks on non-consecutive days with pre- and post-training testing during weeks 1 and 8. Participants performed only the squat and bench press exercises each session. Changes in one-repetition maximum (1RM) strength, muscle thickness (MT), and muscle endurance (ME) were assessed. Both groups significantly increased 1RM strength for both squat and bench press (p<0.01), however, no group differences existed (p>0.05). Similarly, both groups experienced significant increases in chest, lateral quadriceps distal, and anterior quadriceps MT (p<0.05), but no change was present in either group for lateral quadriceps mid MT (p<0.05). No group differences were discovered for changes in MT (p>0.05). ME did not significantly change in the squat or bench press for either group (p>0.05), however, for squat ME, a moderate effect size was observed for DUPHR (0.57) vs. a trivial effect for DUPLR (0.17). Our findings suggest, in previously trained males, training volume is a significant contributor to strength and hypertrophy adaptations, which occur independent of specific repetition ranges.

Very interested to read the full text once it comes out!