bent knees when curling ideal?

fartster

Awards
When I curl I stand up straight but I just saw a video tutorial suggesting a slightly bent knees is better to avoid injuries and cheating. You guys agree?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't pick a weight that you have to cheat to curl and that should prevent any injuries.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I both bend my knees and stagger my legs diagonally apart. When I get midway through a set, I stagger them the other direction. It's really made a difference in my upper body form when curling!

Now if I could just get my wrists to stop hurting when I do BB curls...

fartster

Awards
never seen what a diagonal legs while curling looks like, I wish u had a video example. I'm only familiar with a bent knees, I think it prevents cheating as well as it's just appropriate posture. I feel as if the "stroke" of the barbell is "shorter" from the bottom to the "squeeze", make reps and sets a bit smoother.

I do not wear gloves anymore. I did, and I think that may have contributed to some wrist issues sometimes. Keep your wrists straight and do not cheat with your wrists to get more squeeze. LOL. Or get some wrist support strap thing.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I both bend my knees and stagger my legs diagonally apart. When I get midway through a set, I stagger them the other direction. It's really made a difference in my upper body form when curling!

Now if I could just get my wrists to stop hurting when I do BB curls...
I wear wrist wraps on all straight bar curls for this reason. Fracture my wrist wrist, and I have to manually bend it to even hold a straight bar.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
never seen what a diagonal legs while curling looks like.
Basically just instead of keeping your legs parallel to each other, take a step forward with one.

Here's a pic of staggered legs with DB shoulder press
dumbbell-staggered-push-press__resized.jpg

fartster

Awards
Thanks for the pic. Would that work with a straight single curling bar or just a pair of dumbells? I shall try if it's comfortable enough.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I honestly never use a straight bar for curls. The only problem you might have with that is it hitting your front leg. I do use both a cambered bar and dumbbells and it hasn't been a problem.

fartster

Awards
I guess mine isn't exactly "straight", I guess it's the EZ Curl bar where it has an arch where you would hold it.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess mine isn't exactly "straight", I guess it's the EZ Curl bar where it has an arch where you would hold it.
Yeah, that's what I use too

fartster

Awards
I don't remember hitting my front leg because my knees are slightly bent plus I don't think the bar should really touch your body going down.