Generic bench advice

Hack75

Hack75

Awards
Hey guys,

Been a goal of mine to get 225lb on flat bench 20+ reps for a while now. I got it 14 tonight. That was after 100 pull ups and some warm up bench sets.

Who's got some generic advice on how to get there. I have a well rounded training method, so "bench more" isn't what I'm looking for.

Thanks

850gator

850gator

Awards
I did 10x10 bench twice a week for a couple months, starting at 155 and adding 5 pounds each set. It sucked a lot more than anticipated but my 1RM went from 265 to 285 after. Which for me, weighing 150 at the time, made me REALLY happy! It definitely helped me break that plateau I was stuck on

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not trying to be a smart ass, but maybe attempt it without doing 100 pull ups first.

Hack75

Hack75

Awards
I knew somebody would say that^.

I've done pull ups like in my routine for a long time. Doesn't really take a lot out of me

Hack75

Hack75

Awards
I just put that in there for context of my workout. I know I use some energy doing it.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well you did ask for generic advice lol. Again, not trying to be a smart ass, but your goal then is 100 pull ups and 20+ 225lb bench presses. I would try doing the presses alone or at least first to see how close you are to hitting 20 reps.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
You could always take, Tren.
Or, you could try playing around with 245 for awhile, then 225 will seem lighter.

deadlift655

Awards
Train like a powerlifter and jack up your max bench. 405 max will turn 225 into an empty bar.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just put that in there for context of my workout. I know I use some energy doing it.
Warming up that way is taxing however and takes away from the goal at hand. Few sets is ok but it's just not necessary first. Do you every use bands without your flat pressing routine? What tires out the most at the 10rep mark? Chest and more importantly triceps have to manage the stress. Can you post your usual routine as that would help a lot as well

Famine

Famine

Awards
I would suggest to train with lower reps and higher weights for a while, then alternate weeks between power sets and hypertrophy sets. Do the same thing over and over again usually leads to a plateau.