Back ext. For bigger deads

clk

clk

Awards
Any of you do back extensions or ghr's with weight/bands? I just finished smolov and I am pretty happy where my squat is at. Now I have started the cube method and would like to add in some extra accessories to assist my dl. From what I have read, heavy back extensions are great for lockout. However, I have one question for the guys who do them. How did you get acquainted to such a painfully horrible lift? I've done them from time to time. Each time I can't even drive home. I have to lay down and wait for, what feels like a hooker stabbing me in my back, to stop.

I'm guessing running lighter weight and slowly working the weight up will help. But I figured I'd ask in case there is some secrets I'm missing.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
personally i LOVE the feeling of a back pump. its a super bizarre feeling to me.

but you can also do things like good mornings and block pulls, etc. back extensions are always a good accessory though.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
I do back extensions often. I feel that does aid in increasing my deadlift. I start with body weight and then add 25lb plate, swap for 35lb, swap for 45lb and then 45+25....etc. I don't go beyond 2 45's because my legs feels like they hyperextend. Then at the end of each rep, I drop the weights and lower myself so that I can grab the back extension thing and pull so I get a good hammy stretch.

But, I am no powerlifter, just a dude that loves deadlifts.

clk

clk

Awards
personally i LOVE the feeling of a back pump. its a super bizarre feeling to me.

but you can also do things like good mornings and block pulls, etc. back extensions are always a good accessory though.
You...love...backpumps? I want some of whatever you're smoking. The pumps from back extensions leave me incapacitated. It's about equal to the pumps I got on a stack of m-drol and p-plex. Except I'm natty now lol

I've started adding them in. Started weightless and I'm going to work up to some decent weight over time. I'm hoping I just get used to it.

Block pulls, good mornings and others don't give me the same pain as the extensions. But I've also heard that extensions can help more. Not sure... so I have to try.

clk

clk

Awards
I do back extensions often. I feel that does aid in increasing my deadlift. I start with body weight and then add 25lb plate, swap for 35lb, swap for 45lb and then 45+25....etc. I don't go beyond 2 45's because my legs feels like they hyperextend. Then at the end of each rep, I drop the weights and lower myself so that I can grab the back extension thing and pull so I get a good hammy stretch.

But, I am no powerlifter, just a dude that loves deadlifts.
Right now you're at more weight than me. I did 135 for reps a few months back. But I nearly wanted to commit suicide after that. Hopefully I'll be able to work the weight up over time.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I vote for GHRs, RDLs/SLDLs, GMs over back extensions any day of the week. I prefer GHRs and RDLs over gms, but thats just personal preference. I also really like doing banded ghrs with the band either held to my chest or wrapped around the back of my neck.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
I vote for GHRs, RDLs/SLDLs, GMs over back extensions any day of the week. I prefer GHRs and RDLs over gms, but thats just personal preference. I also really like doing banded ghrs with the band either held to my chest or wrapped around the back of my neck.
hey, what does GHRs and GMs stand for?

clk

clk

Awards
I have done a combination of the above. But never really got the results I thought I'd get. Weighted/banded GHR'S give me the same hooker stabbing me in the back feeling as extensions. I should probably stop being a *****.

I wanted to try extensions because it's the one accessory I've yet to really try. So maybe it's gold for me. But then again, maybe it isnt. Who knows. Gotta try.
I know pete rubish does them heavy as a dl accessory. And well... anything he does has to work. I mean... it's pete rubish ?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
I have done a combination of the above. But never really got the results I thought I'd get. Weighted/banded GHR'S give me the same hooker stabbing me in the back feeling as extensions. I should probably stop being a *****.

I wanted to try extensions because it's the one accessory I've yet to really try. So maybe it's gold for me. But then again, maybe it isnt. Who knows. Gotta try.
I know pete rubish does them heavy as a dl accessory. And well... anything he does has to work. I mean... it's pete rubish ��
maybe try to find root cause of why you are getting such bad back pumps?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You...love...backpumps? I want some of whatever you're smoking. The pumps from back extensions leave me incapacitated. It's about equal to the pumps I got on a stack of m-drol and p-plex. Except I'm natty now lol

I've started adding them in. Started weightless and I'm going to work up to some decent weight over time. I'm hoping I just get used to it.

Block pulls, good mornings and others don't give me the same pain as the extensions. But I've also heard that extensions can help more. Not sure... so I have to try.
are they actually painful or are they just muscle pumps? cause to me there is a big difference between a sore back that maybe is irritated or injured vs a weird feeling back that is just fatigued and pumped from lifting.

cause i get both... when my back is tight, back squats can hurt like a mother (front squats not so much). but when I intentionally blow out my back with deadlifts, snatch grip deads, goblet squats, gm's, etc its a totally different kind of feeling and that I like.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I know pete rubish does them heavy as a dl accessory. And well... anything he does has to work. I mean... it's pete rubish
Honestly, the best way to get better at deadlifting is to deadlift. But if you want to do an accessory instead, ask yourself this: are your spinal erectors going to get more of a training stimulus from heavy RDLs/SLDLs at 60+ percent of your DL max or back extensions with a much lesser percentage?

Edit: but, like i said, that's just my 2 cents. If you've never tried back extensions and want to see if they work well for you, then by all means try them out. You'll never know unless you give em a shot.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my last PR came after I started incorporating block pulls and deficits into my deadlift training. But thats just me.

clk

clk

Awards
are they actually painful or are they just muscle pumps? cause to me there is a big difference between a sore back that maybe is irritated or injured vs a weird feeling back that is just fatigued and pumped from lifting.

cause i get both... when my back is tight, back squats can hurt like a mother (front squats not so much). but when I intentionally blow out my back with deadlifts, snatch grip deads, goblet squats, gm's, etc its a totally different kind of feeling and that I like.
It's definitely just a crazy muscle pump and/or cramping. You ever taken a potent methylated cycle and got back pumps? Exact same as that. Goes away after 30 min of hell.

clk

clk

Awards
my last PR came after I started incorporating block pulls and deficits into my deadlift training. But thats just me.
I have block pulls and deficits in training. I'm running the cube method right now. I was on smolov before this. My dl has been in maintenance due to smolov. So I just want to add a little more attention to my deadlift on this program cycle.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What id try, personally, is upping your deadlift (and or/ close variation) frequency. Cube is a good program, i just feel that you train the comp lifts too infrequently as a raw lifter. Have you ever heard of RTS (Reactive Training Systems)? I'd give that a look. Powerliftingtowin has a good review article of it as well as the generalized intermediate program (which i had really good success with, mainly on my deadlift).

I'm currently running an RTS based program in my training log if you wanna check that out and follow along. I also ran the generalized intermediate program i mentioned and it's logged in my log (early on if you try to find it).

clk

clk

Awards
What id try, personally, is upping your deadlift (and or/ close variation) frequency. Cube is a good program, i just feel that you train the comp lifts too infrequently as a raw lifter. Have you ever heard of RTS (Reactive Training Systems)? I'd give that a look. Powerliftingtowin has a good review article of it as well as the generalized intermediate program (which i had really good success with, mainly on my deadlift).

I'm currently running an RTS based program in my training log if you wanna check that out and follow along. I also ran the generalized intermediate program i mentioned and it's logged in my log (early on if you try to find it).
That is one thing that makes me wonder about the cube. For one, I know for a fact that I can't make a lot of great gains on chest benching once a week. So I added in another day of bench within the program.

I have not heard of rts. Do you have a link? Also, how do I find your log? Are you running it natty?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That is one thing that makes me wonder about the cube. For one, I know for a fact that I can't make a lot of great gains on chest benching once a week. So I added in another day of bench within the program.

I have not heard of rts. Do you have a link? Also, how do I find your log? Are you running it natty?
Smart move. When you focus on bench look into cube predator. I've never ran it but from what ive heard you're either guaranteed to make gains or get injured, no telling which one happens. Lol. Yes, there's no reason to be benching 1x a week as a raw PLer as long as injuries/recovery allow you to bench more frequently. A lot of people say bench 3x, squat 2x, deadlift 1x (once again pending recovery/injury history allow for it).

Just google "RTS review powerliftingtowin" and it should pop up. I'll drop a link for my log in here and, yes, I'm natty. I'm starting to consider a cycle soon, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Edit: heres the link http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267913

clk

clk

Awards
Yea I totally agree. I think a lot of people have such low frequency because they are scared to overtrain. In my experience, it takes A LOT to over train. but when it does happen, it sucks. Happened to me during smolov. Ended up taking a few days off, ate everything in my path, took some ambien and hibernate for 12 hours straight.

Thanks for the insight. I'll give the predator a look and I'll read into rts. ?
Also subbed to your log.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds good. And no problem dude, this journey is a hell of a lot easier when we're all learning from each other.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

This is relevant to this and I think upping the frequency (in the right way) is quite often the most optimal approach: https://www.facebook.com/michael.israetel/posts/10106140985861923

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^great share, bolt. I think that's often an overlooked reason why some people make such crazy improvements on high frequency programs. Practicing your set up and form on the comp lift multiple times a week allows you to gain technical proficiency in that lift at a much higher rate. Back before project momentum i was experiencing just what that article talked about. My bench and deadlift set up always just felt awkward and different from the last time i trained that lift. Now my set up is almost automatic and is (hopefully) the same from session to session.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have block pulls and deficits in training. I'm running the cube method right now. I was on smolov before this. My dl has been in maintenance due to smolov. So I just want to add a little more attention to my deadlift on this program cycle.
you know, kudos to you for finishing smolov. It tore me up. but I wasn't willing to forego my other training at the time to maintain smolov. how much did your squat go up by end? I saw my buddies squat go from 365 to 405, then from 405 to 425 on two smolov cycles (a 13 week, then later the 6 I believe).

and to answer your other question, no I've not done a cycle of anything. so I don't have a basis for comparison there on the pump. all of my pumps are usually fed by theater style pretzels! lol

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Today was supposed to be chest day, but this thread got me so excited that I moved chest to tomorrow and did deadlifts today.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Today was supposed to be chest day, but this thread got me so excited that I moved chest to tomorrow and did deadlifts today.
Deadlifts are better anyway

clk

clk

Awards
you know, kudos to you for finishing smolov. It tore me up. but I wasn't willing to forego my other training at the time to maintain smolov. how much did your squat go up by end? I saw my buddies squat go from 365 to 405, then from 405 to 425 on two smolov cycles (a 13 week, then later the 6 I believe).

and to answer your other question, no I've not done a cycle of anything. so I don't have a basis for comparison there on the pump. all of my pumps are usually fed by theater style pretzels! lol
I went from 385 w/wraps to 475 on the base meso. Then from 475 to 500 w/wraps after the intense meso. Tried to run a 4 andro cycle during the second half. However, I never got anything from it. Had bloods drawn late in the cycle and nothing ever changed. I either got a bunk ass cycle, or my body does nothing with andros.

clk

clk

Awards
YAAAAS!!! deadlifts are much cooler ?

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
YAAAAS!!! deadlifts are much cooler ��
and chicks dig it and rude dudes eyes open wide when they see 6 plates for reps

clk

clk

Awards
????

clk

clk

Awards
and chicks dig it and rude dudes eyes open wide when they see 6 plates for reps
It's more funny when you're at a small family type gym. When on time constraints, I'll sometimes lift at school. When I squat or dl there, people look at me like I'm some kind of spectacle.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
It's more funny when you're at a small family type gym. When on time constraints, I'll sometimes lift at school. When I squat or dl there, people look at me like I'm some kind of spectacle.
Except you run out of weights and be stacking 45s, 35s,25s,10s, and 5s, but the bar looks cool with the weight stacked in that order.