Lack of propery recovery time prevents muscles from being sore?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I was researching muscle soreness and from what I read, there was a trainer who stated that lack of proper recovery time for a muscle group will cause them to not be sore. The person asking the question was wondering why they didn't feel sore the day after lifting anymore. "How can this be possible?" the poster said. " I workout my muscles 3-4 days per week! I should be sore!"

The trainer told them it doesn't work that way. That they simply were not giving their muscles enough time to recover and that is the reason that their muscles did not feel sore after training them.

What is your opinion on this?

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
was this person - Christian Thibaudeau

in theory and I am not a Dr but do like to play one, I can see the theory behind this. if you continuously work a muscle and never it give it time to heal correctly, then yes you would offset Doms. On the other hand, in the long run, I could see the potential for injuries to that muscle group as it would be taxed.

interesting

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't know the science behind this and would question anyone who claimed to know the science behind it beyond maybe having an educated guess...because we don't really know what causes DOMS, so we can't really say if recovery or lack of recovery plays a role for certain.

From personal experience, broscience if you will, when I follow Mentzer type hit workouts I have a lot of recovery time between workouts and the DOMS can last for days. Those workouts are super intense and some will point to "too much recovery" making my body detrain between workouts as the cause of DOMS.

I am trying Stronglifts 5x5 for the first time in my life and this setup seems like a bit of a deload phase compared to my normal workouts ...and while I'm training g the same muscles more frequently, I am experiencing almost no DOMS.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't think it has anything to do with recovery or not recovery, I think it has everything to do with mobility, bloodflow, stretching, etc.

If you go to the gym and bust your ass until you need a wheelchair today, then sit on the couch for the next two days your body is probably going to hurt.

but if you instead go into the gym and move around again the next day your going to stretch out, get the blood flowing, increase mobility, and lessen the effect of DOMs.

I train 4-6 days a week and I usually only get DOMs if I take more rest days inbetween sessions or if I change a days routine to intentionally really shock the body into hurting. in which case, just getting up and moving around helps cure the issue. its that sitting around nonsense that usually increases the DOMs for me.

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
I also remember when I used less frequent training sessions I would get horrible DOMS and I thought it was a good thing.. I thought that the nervous system took too long to recover for your body to be accrue a lot of micro trauma to the muscles and that theory was kind of based off of what HIT4ME was saying. I used to follow Mike Mentzer's heavy duty style workouts. This theory was based off of loads of broscience but I eventually came across science based training. And studies showed me that everything that I was doing was wrong. Multiple set programs were more effective than single set programs. Training to failure every set isn't optimal. And also training at higher frequency to stimulate protein synthesis more often was more often than training every muscle one time a week... My point is that I guess I used to have a personal opinion that more recovery time and annihilating a muscle to let it recover was the best way to do it and I was getting results and the DOMS was just proof that I had an effective workout which definitely isn't the case. We know now that training more frequently means less DOMS because of the "repeated bout effect" in which it's been shown the more often you train with volume that's manageable for you the less DOMS you get and the more often you stimulate protein synthesis for more/faster results.

jaces

jaces

Awards
i think its all about yhe intensity... of you train a muscle 4 times a week you wil not have the intensity to realy dig deep and finish the workout with full strength and so on...and for me changing reps (like y3t) between realy heavy or more ''pump'' centered realy keeps me getting doms and a good pump