Do i have to stop running to bulk?

spooneagle

Awards
I tried to be dorext as possible in the title. I shed the chubbiness i had in high school post-lineman for football days with pure cardio, maybe some dumbell work to keep my arms toned. I guess my point is i have gpt to a point where i have iron quads and calves, but my upper body is toned but not nearly as STRONG as i would like it to be. What would you guys suggest to get some of that upper body strength, are my suspicions correct that i have to drop the cardio and go for just straight up weight room upper body stuff(i mean i would still have leg days, but not like run 5-6 miles leg days LOL). Thanks ahead of time

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends on multiple factors.

Depending on how much you are doing now you may have to decrease the amount as you add strength training in (or possibly not), but you can definitely continue to run as you bulk if you enjoy it!

spooneagle

Awards
Most weeks 10-15 miles. I like to run like a 5k around 6pm some days to exhaust myself to wind down from the day. Some weeks i have run up to 30 miles tho, i figure i def. Cant be doing that while bulking.

Famine

Famine

Awards
Bulking is a calories in/calories out game. You're probably burning up to 3000 calories a week from running. So you'll need your regular allowance of calories, an extra 3000 (throughout the week) to balance out the running, and extra bulking calories on top of that.

That being said, from a practical viewpoint, I've never seen anyone run 15-30 miles a week and add body weight.

From experience, the running needs to happen on a non lifting day, 3-5 miles, once or twice a week, tops...if you truly want to bulk. But something to keep in mind, bulking should be a cycle, not a lifestyle. So bulk, then cut. That's what the pros do.

spooneagle

Awards
Thank you for the advice. I just got the rest of my ph cycle in so i will definitely keep that in mind, as i work out the next week or two before starting the cycle. Appreciate it famine. The practical viewpoint bit made alot of sense :D

spooneagle

Awards
And i do plan on it being a bulk cut cycle but my goals for the year are to be a personal trainer, and to add on pound and strength

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
More than anything listen to your body. If you aren't progressing in your lifts, feel exhausted, etc you either aren't eating enough, not resting enough or sometimes cardio is getting in the way and you need to dial back. Food will determine your ability to recover more than anything but also keep your CNS in check

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Google Alex Viada and Hybrid Athlete. If you need more help feel free to PM me.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I spoke with my lifting coach about this exact same thing last night.

It is very difficult to lose your level of conditioning. It's not the same as losing muscle or strength (which happens quickly/easily if you stop strength training). Conditioning sticks with you.

Focus on your immediate goals, and periodize your training, for optimal results. Don't try to do everything all at once. I'm speaking as a hybrid athlete as well.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Bulking is a calories in/calories out game. You're probably burning up to 3000 calories a week from running. So you'll need your regular allowance of calories, an extra 3000 (throughout the week) to balance out the running, and extra bulking calories on top of that.

That being said, from a practical viewpoint, I've never seen anyone run 15-30 miles a week and add body weight.

they do on Exercises in Futility- lol

spooneagle

Awards
I probably had like over 5000 calories today. But it wasnt junk food. Started off the day with a serious mass shake, by ON, thats like 1250 calories right there. But i we t to the gym and ran two miles outdoors as well. I also started on my 8 wk ostarine cycle, so i appreciate the slew of information guys. I love this forum. The new app for AM is legit atleast it runs perfectly for me on the galaxy 6 active. Hope everyone is javing a good day. Virginia is losing its shot collectively over this blizzard about to hit us tomorrow. We got food and weights at home though, we good :D