Layne Norton's PH3

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Anyone try this or familiar with it? It looks right up my alley (hybrid powerlifting routine with hypertrophy work added), and I'm wanting to start a new routine in a month.

Problem is, it's next to impossible to find a layout online. Have to browse 100 web pages to get an idea of what you'd be doing everyday. I guess I need to research it more.

I'm also wanting to add in some oly lifting into the template, not sure how it will fit.

Anyhow, I love the volume, frequency and variety this program seems to have. Looks fun (and advanced).

Day 1: Squat, bench press, deadlift (light day)
Day 2: Upper-body hypertrophy day
Day 3: Squat, bench press, lower-body accessory work
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Deadlift, bench press (heavy day, rep test), upper-body accessory work
Day 6: Squat (heavy day, rep test), lower-body accessory work
Day 7: Rest

Weeks 1-4: Accumulation phase
Weeks 5-8: Transition phase
Weeks 9-12: Intensity/overreaching phase
Week 13: Taper and test week

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Plenty of free templates but I'm not too sure how you can work oly lifting in as its not really geared towards that but it's possible to shift the focus towards there. I'm currently running it and have put 2 others through the program completely and its going to be worth it alright. It is hard as hell I won't lie to you. Not for the weak of heart.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Plenty of free templates but I'm not too sure how you can work oly lifting in as its not really geared towards that but it's possible to shift the focus towards there. I'm currently running it and have put 2 others through the program completely and its going to be worth it alright. It is hard as hell I won't lie to you. Not for the weak of heart.
Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I don't like strictly bodybuilding programs or strict powerlifting ones. I'd been loosely following a similar program (WS4SB III) but am looking to turn it up a notch while increasing frequency and work capacity.

I might swap out conventional deads for rack/block deads and power cleans. Clean and press, jerks, split jerks are all I'm really looking to work in, in terms of oly lifts.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
He has the full program on bodybuilding.com

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know what ya mean there! Yea I mean you def. have to build that consistency but the Volume for some of those Clean and Jerks would drive me through the ground. I think its totally doable but your dedication and intensity will be tested if you want PRs. If you log it let me know, that be a great adventure

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know what ya mean there! Yea I mean you def. have to build that consistency but the Volume for some of those Clean and Jerks would drive me through the ground. I think its totally doable but your dedication and intensity will be tested if you want PRs. If you log it let me know, that be a great adventure
What worries me the most is deadlifting heavy (max effort) the day before max effort squats. That's a lil crazy imo. But I'll likely be swapping out conventional deads anyhow. Maybe I can add in clean & jerks on top of the regular assistance work, and just keep it as skill work. Clean and jerks weren't meant for volume and I prefer doing heavy singles for those.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He has the full program on bodybuilding.com
I wish I can find a PDF or excel sheet on it. The program on BB.com is split up over 100 or so pages hehe... very hard to reference, unless looking at individual days.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Another thing is that I train at a barbell club. We don't have isolation type machines, besides the GHD, so on hypertrophy days and for assistance, I'd have to come up with something clever (just for lower body, I have DB's, KB's and bands for upper).

For lower body, instead of extensions and curls, looks like I'll be forced to make it harder by swapping for extra squats (maybe BSS for high volume) and glute ham raises. Hell of a lot harder than ham curls and leg extensions, that's for certain.

Other stuff in here I have no use for. Calve raises, BFR calve raises, no need. My calved are huge naturally. I'll also have to look into weather or not I can do BFR squats, as I have little options for isolation movements on legs. Not too concerned about the BFR stuff though honestly.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another thing is that I train at a barbell club. We don't have isolation type machines, besides the GHD, so on hypertrophy days and for assistance, I'd have to come up with something clever (just for lower body, I have DB's, KB's and bands for upper).

For lower body, instead of extensions and curls, looks like I'll be forced to make it harder by swapping for extra squats (maybe BSS for high volume) and glute ham raises. Hell of a lot harder than ham curls and leg extensions, that's for certain.

Other stuff in here I have no use for. Calve raises, BFR calve raises, no need. My calved are huge naturally. I'll also have to look into weather or not I can do BFR squats, as I have little options for isolation movements on legs. Not too concerned about the BFR stuff though honestly.
Closest thing to isolation most should do for legs is leg press. BSS or a lunge variety instead of extensions and still do calves. Those things will lock up without some work especially since I believe you wear an Oly shoe.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Closest thing to isolation most should do for legs is leg press. BSS or a lunge variety instead of extensions and still do calves. Those things will lock up without some work especially since I believe you wear an Oly shoe.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Yes, I squat (and clean) with Adidas Adipowers.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Another quick question. I'm wondering about how to work conditioning into this, and how often to, while keeping it simple.

I have an assault (aerodyne) bike at my club. Should I just stick to intervals on that? Thing can be pretty brutal. I figure it's also the safest way for me to add in conditioning plus active recovery.

I'm also thinking I should ramp up the conditioning based on the overall concept of the program too. IE: Accumulation, transition, over-reaching, and tapering off

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Spoke with my lifting coach tonight, I will be doing absolutely no conditioning on this program lol. There is no need for it, nor space for it in this.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It seems to me like if you can run Layne's programs without being in the gym all day and you recover alright, you're in great shape anyway lol. Your body will become accustomed to the heavy squat day after heavy deadlifts. Its kind of a self-regulating thing, you'll be tired from pulling the day before and as a result you won't crash your system as spectacularly. If you have the time and inclination to do so, I'd love to see a log on this program.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It seems to me like if you can run Layne's programs without being in the gym all day and you recover alright, you're in great shape anyway lol. Your body will become accustomed to the heavy squat day after heavy deadlifts. Its kind of a self-regulating thing, you'll be tired from pulling the day before and as a result you won't crash your system as spectacularly. If you have the time and inclination to do so, I'd love to see a log on this program.
I'm 90% sure I'll be starting it, and if I do, I'll definitely start up a log.

I've been cutting the past two/three months so I'm giving myself a month or so to transition back into a bigger diet, etc. My squat is the only thing I've kept lifting heavy the past couple months, been doing circuits of everything else. (A lot of pull-ups + bench press supersets, I was a bit crazy).

I believe my total is around 1000 now, so I'm really looking forward to what this program can do. I'm also kind of used to that volume too. Before my cut, I was getting all my strength training in, then loads of volume after hitting my maxes. I was also maxing out twice per week at one point.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would definitely follow your log. I'm curious in this program myself.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would definitely follow your log. I'm curious in this program myself.
Cool man, I'll definitely let everyone in here know once I start up the log.

It's going to be a dual log as well I think. I want to log some supplements I'm getting for lucid dreaming as well. Should be interesting, especially since I'm going to want to sleep a lot on this program.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Cool man, I'll definitely let everyone in here know once I start up the log.

It's going to be a dual log as well I think. I want to log some supplements I'm getting for lucid dreaming as well. Should be interesting, especially since I'm going to want to sleep a lot on this program.
Count me in as well. I'm following movements log too. Think I'm gonna run this next as I'm a huge phat fan. And also very interested in the dreaming portion. Tag me for sure.

I'll prob put it into excel when I do.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Count me in as well. I'm following movements log too. Think I'm gonna run this next as I'm a huge phat fan. And also very interested in the dreaming portion. Tag me for sure.

I'll prob put it into excel when I do.
Will do.

Everyone should keep in mind though, I will likely be enhanced on this program.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Will do.

Everyone should keep in mind though, I will likely be enhanced on this program.
More or less than Layne? Ooooooh I said it! Note: I will not be defending my position, I just felt like stirring.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
More or less than Layne? Ooooooh I said it! Note: I will not be defending my position, I just felt like stirring.
Hahaha well I'm already on TRT so I'm not natural by default, but I have something special in store. I've never seen anyone run trest ace and mast ace together. But to me, it's the perfect combo, and super simple. I'm afraid my libido will be too intense though. Last time I ran trest ace, I was a sexual maniac (I also had a gf then who didn't complain whatsoever). Mast is going to amplify this lol. Going to be an interesting run.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is an intriguing combo for certain! I just got and responded to your message now, btw.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hahaha well I'm already on TRT so I'm not natural by default, but I have something special in store. I've never seen anyone run trest ace and mast ace together. But to me, it's the perfect combo, and super simple. I'm afraid my libido will be too intense though. Last time I ran trest ace, I was a sexual maniac (I also had a gf then who didn't complain whatsoever). Mast is going to amplify this lol. Going to be an interesting run.
Awesome! Double in now haha

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Phase one sucks....that is all

Bartmac36

Bartmac36

Awards
  • Established
Im currently running ph3 with good results. Im repeating the first block now but ive seen 10-20 pound increases in my max lifts for the big three so id say its a successful program

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
****, I'm gonna start rehabbing / prehabbing for this program now Don't want any injuries.
Best of luck dude! Get that log rolling so I can join!

Im currently running ph3 with good results. Im repeating the first block now but ive seen 10-20 pound increases in my max lifts for the big three so id say its a successful program
What made ya redo the first phase? Im guessing the accumulation phase?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm very interested in seeing a pragmatic approach to this training program and look forward to your journal.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm looking at starting next week. Anyone had any luck with an easier to digest template than the individual pages on bb? Reps if anyone has and can share! Excited to give it a run, looks fun and challenging

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm looking at starting next week. Anyone had any luck with an easier to digest template than the individual pages on bb? Reps if anyone has and can share! Excited to give it a run, looks fun and challenging
Send me your email and I will send you mine. It covers the main stuff and you can add your own hypertrophy work separately.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Will do, thanks man! Will rep when I get to a comp tomorrow. Enjoying your run so far?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Having trouble sending messages through the app right now too so might need to shoot that over tomorrow

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Will do, thanks man! Will rep when I get to a comp tomorrow. Enjoying your run so far?
Really am, Honestly theres parts where I just didnt think the next workout was going to happen but its quite the gut check. Last week of the Accumulation phase for myself

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really am, Honestly theres parts where I just didnt think the next workout was going to happen but its quite the gut check. Last week of the Accumulation phase for myself
Your pm's are full good sir

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just finished day 3 really liking it so far.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm very interested in seeing a pragmatic approach to this training program and look forward to your journal.
TheMovement has a great PH3 log going on right now.

I'm still concerned about deadlifting in this program because of my back. I might be able to swap for rack pulls or something else though.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea, I have knee issues so if they get bad I'll be swapping in leg press for squats. But so far have done two squat days and all good!

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
Guys who have already ran it are tweeting their results from the program some are increasing totals by 100 lbs...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have you been working through the pain at all and just ignoring DOMS? I figured this would happen a lot on this program.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys who have already ran it are tweeting their results from the program some are increasing totals by 100 lbs...
I'd like to see the average starting and ending point. 100# in a vacuum sounds impressive, but it may be dudes in the 1000-1100 range.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Have you been working through the pain at all and just ignoring DOMS? I figured this would happen a lot on this program.
Working through and adding more stick work and ice cup massaging. Honestly it does go away and once your first set is done the strength is definitely there to finish.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I ran into a guy at the gym today that runs it. He told me he was running it about 8 weeks ago. He is on week 10 or 11 now. He loves it. Says recovery isn't bad, but sometimes you do need to dig deep on the big 3 days depending on the percent and rep range.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking I might start out a bit conservatively and remove 10-20# off my initial 1RM's.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm thinking I might start out a bit conservatively and remove 10-20# off my initial 1RM's.
With the first phase being I believe 72% and 82% of max I'd you're dropping 20lbs off it may be too easy. If you're worried only about a specific exercise I'd just look at something to swap out, rather than dropping lbs that much

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I actually took 10lbs off and you still end up getting the numbers needed after the accumulation phase because of the AMRAP formula for your next bout. Phase one is optional and ppl forget that its only there to get you ready for the hell to come. I dont know of a single soul who could afford to skip it though.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I actually took 10lbs off and you still end up getting the numbers needed after the accumulation phase because of the AMRAP formula for your next bout. Phase one is optional and ppl forget that its only there to get you ready for the hell to come. I dont know of a single soul who could afford to skip it though.
Ya that's why I was thinking of dropping it down a bit. The accumulation phase will still be tough with the AMRAP portion, it won't allow you to ease out of any workout.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If I'm concerned about a disk at the bottom of my t-spine (top of lumbar spine), should I swap out conventional deads for sumo deads or rack pulls?

If I remove deads in general, I could add in GHD / band pull throughs and something else to make it equivalent. Maybe farmers walks too.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you cant pull conventional then why not pull sumo? Thats by far your best option from what you laid out above.