How come its common for the top pro's to use bad form?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I see these top guys out there who have massive physiques and their form is not what you can call "Textbook."

Is it because they have gotten to such a high level that demands lifting such heavy weights that strict form would be next to impossible?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's likely intentional. John Meadows often recommends stopping short of parallel on squats to keep tension on the quads.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I see these top guys out there who have massive physiques and their form is not what you can call "Textbook."

Is it because they have gotten to such a high level that demands lifting such heavy weights that strict form would be next to impossible?
very much so. look at things like cheater curls, with putting emphasis on the eccentric portion of the movement a person can use "bad" form safely to get the barbell or db up, then slowly letting it back down to work the muscle tissue.

You'll be able to get different parts of your body to be involved with heavier movements by way of 'cheater' movements.

but there is a difference between injury-causing bad form, and cheater reps. if you can hit say 10 reps perfectly strip then get 5 more cheater reps safely, its going to give that little extra attack and muscle pump.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
I'm also willing to bet that the pros dont ALWAYS use bad form. They might cheat on the last couple sets as previously mentioned, but training like that all day every day would definitely cause injuries. Look at videos of branch warren training. Guy is a fukin mad man in the gym, but hes also had quite a few serious injuries if Im not mistaken.

Snow3y

Snow3y

Awards
There's a line that I guess is drawn - where you can still use bad for but not SO bad that it's causing more harm than anything.

Also, remember that they are able to take juice and peps that prevent injuries, and enhance recovery from injuries at a MUCH quicker rate.

These are all based on my own opinion of course, I could be very wrong

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
You guys are on to something. There are studies supporting moderate cheating is better than really strict form for hypertrophy.. Also more studies showing faster eccentric doing more muscle damage than slower eccentrics.. Also top researchers are saying volume is the key to growth... Imagine how much more volume you can get with a combination of a moderate cheating form and faster eccentrics.

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
Layne Norton also made a video talking about all of these things in it. It's his time under tension video log and he basically goes on to explain why TUT is not as important as people have made it out to be.. I used to train really slow and perfect controlled form on everything but now my form has moderate cheating and faster eccentrics to allow for heavier weights for more volume and the results have been better than when I used slower and more controlled form.

jaces

jaces

Awards
I think its based on what you like and what works for you... I mean guys like johny jackson and branch warren use ****ty form but it works for them.. were mike mentzer stressed a 4041 speed without cheating... for me its strict slow reps for all sets but on my last working stes ill do 1 or 2 ''cheat'' reps just to finish

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think over time you realize that it doesn't matter if you go fast or slow, you go until you reach a certain breaking point in the muscles. maybe its 8 reps for one guy, 15 for another.

watch the old pumping iron clips, the guys do their 10 reps. then they do another grueling one. and then another. and another, and another, and they scream and do another. it wasn't about hitting 3 sets of 10, or TUT, it was about going all out, breaking down that tissue, then eating and rebuilding.

jaces

jaces

Awards
I think over time you realize that it doesn't matter if you go fast or slow, you go until you reach a certain breaking point in the muscles. maybe its 8 reps for one guy, 15 for another.

watch the old pumping iron clips, the guys do their 10 reps. then they do another grueling one. and then another. and another, and another, and they scream and do another. it wasn't about hitting 3 sets of 10, or TUT, it was about going all out, breaking down that tissue, then eating and rebuilding.
agreed... but for me i know that if the positive part is 4sec and it takes me 6+ sec to lift then i am near failure