Legs

ThomasThee8Th

ThomasThee8Th

Awards
I have 50 lbs power blocks and a 60 lbs vest.I'm a 195 lbs,was wondering if in repetition,will that weight have a good effect on my lower body.I do front squats back squats lunges,side dead lifts,using all the weight.I've trained my lower body for years,either I'm doing it wrong or not hard enough,my upper body is ok.I've even quit doin upper body just to focus on my lower body.should I I do more sets?any feed back is well appreciated

max d

Awards
  • Established
I would invest in a barbell and some 45s. Personally I think you would benefit greatly to adding more weight. High reps with low weight will only get you so far.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you saying you squat with the power blocks and vest? If so, that isn't nearly enough weight.

It sounds to me like you're doing too much volume, too little weight. A lot of people will get on me because I'm not as big a volume believer as many on here, but there is a balance that must be achieved. You're looking to stimulate growth, not build tolerance to high reps.

AustBenny

AustBenny

Awards
Throw that stuff away.

Go to gym.

Get in squat rack.

Put heavy weight on back.

Squat down. Stand up. Repeat till puke.

Clean up puke. This is your rest.

Squat down. Stand up.

U get the picture.

ThomasThee8Th

ThomasThee8Th

Awards
I would definitely like to do that,hopefully soon it will happen.I'm just wondering even with supplements,how much ,if any will it benefit me.I no it sounds stupid ,but it's gotta be better than nothing.I'm hoping with what little weight that I got to release testosterone through my body by doing so,I no its not enough,but again,its gotta be better than nothing.I thought about doing some prohoromones ,but I don no enough about them.thanks guys

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would definitely like to do that,hopefully soon it will happen.I'm just wondering even with supplements,how much ,if any will it benefit me.I no it sounds stupid ,but it's gotta be better than nothing.I'm hoping with what little weight that I got to release testosterone through my body by doing so,I no its not enough,but again,its gotta be better than nothing.I thought about doing some prohoromones ,but I don no enough about them.thanks guys
The problem with just those small weights and that rep scheme is simply that its training your body to get better at endurance (high reps)rather than to build more muscle. You're basically trying to tell your body it needs to improve in one area while showing it something different.

Its early the cardio vs weights discussion... marathon runners train for endurance. they build no muscle, but become efficient at using what they have. They look skinny and gaunt. Lifters train for power, mass and strength and thus get bigger and stronger.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could try doing EDT style sets for legs or do complexes with them. You can still grow with that weight, you just need to create the metabolic stress in more unique and creative ways as opposed to just lifting heavy

ThomasThee8Th

ThomasThee8Th

Awards
Thanks all of you,so Mich useful information.I'm go in to look into that edt.I'm gonna get a squat rack eventually,just gotta get on my feet first.again many thanks

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Until you get a squat rack, try to learn pistol squats. Regardless of how much weight people squat, few can do them

ThomasThee8Th

ThomasThee8Th

Awards
Holy ****,that my friend is the ultimate.yea,I don't think I should use any weight for that,look like it hook up them abs to.I'm definitely going to throw that in there.this will be my 3 times working legs this week,wonder if I'm over doing,even with the light weight.I 5 sets of lunges and I also do 3 dif kinds of squats,4 sets,right now I'm on30 can first set.The other 2 sets 25,20, and my 4 to complete failure,I just started taking alpha alinine.I feel a huge dif when I go to failure

ThomasThee8Th

ThomasThee8Th

Awards
I going to do them pistol squats now just for practice,that will be in my routine

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Until you get a squat rack, try to learn pistol squats. Regardless of how much weight people squat, few can do them
This is good thinking. As much as we all jump on the use bigger weights bandwagon (because it is "true")... I remember reading that when Arnold decided to be a bodybuilder he didn't even have a weight set. He would go down I'm his basement and pull on pipes and towels, etc to get stronger. We all know that he eventually started lifting big weights...but determination comes first and progress can be made with almost no tools at all.

ThomasThee8Th

ThomasThee8Th

Awards
I like that.I got back into about 2,weeks ago,my legs do feel stronger,I'm sure there getting strong,but with that weight I'll be peaked out with in no time.I searched Craig's list for a squat rack and found one for 40 dollars and it was right down the road.that's the best luck I've had in a long time.

jake1986

Awards
You have to go to the gym.
That's where the heavy weights are. That's where the squat rack and leg press is. That's what you have to use.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
You have to go to the gym.
That's where the heavy weights are. That's where the squat rack and leg press is. That's what you have to use.
a single power rack and barbell + weights is all that's needed. Leg press is definitely not a have to use thing.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have a leg press in my home gym, and I would suggest for quad development...from a non-powerlifting perspective. ..heavy leg extensions are more effective.

But generally, Jake is right.. .heavy weights are going to be the most direct route, IMO.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Throw that stuff away.

Go to gym.

Get in squat rack.

Squat down. Stand up. Repeat till puke.

Clean up puke. This is your rest.

Squat down. Stand up.

U get the picture.
I see that you are also part of the "not Fking around crew" haha!

AustBenny

AustBenny

Awards
I have a leg press in my home gym, and I would suggest for quad development...from a non-powerlifting perspective. ..heavy leg extensions are more effective.

But generally, Jake is right.. .heavy weights are going to be the most direct route, IMO.
Heavy leg extensions are terrible for your knees.

Leg press is far superior.

One legged leg press will give unprecedented development.

AustBenny

AustBenny

Awards
I see that you are also part of the "not Fking around crew" haha!
Ppl overcomplicate leg day in an effort to avoid hard work.

Squat hard, supplement with one or two accessory exercises, go home. Do this twice a week.

Granted I work calves and hams seperately to leg day.

unreal89

unreal89

Awards
i h8 leg day ust got through cant hardly walk tonight in 24 hours im gonna be toast :)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Heavy leg extensions are terrible for your knees.

Leg press is far superior.

One legged leg press will give unprecedented development.
I don't have any problems with my knees. I do control the weight all the way through, no jerking at all and I make sure I'm warmed up. However, I'm not denying that there is a lot of debate about this and a lot of people claim these things kill their knees - something to be aware of.

But for developing quads....and only for developing quads......they are the way to go.

From a strength/real life perspective, I don't disagree with the leg press - it's more like a squat and translates better to real life work. My quad workout is usually leg extensions, squats, leg presses and then straight legged deadlifts for hamstrings. I could see getting a good workout even if I dropped 1 of the 3 quad exercises.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ppl overcomplicate leg day in an effort to avoid hard work.

Squat hard, supplement with one or two accessory exercises, go home. Do this twice a week.

Granted I work calves and hams seperately to leg day.
So true - work hard, keep it simple.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
BSS>>>>>>>Leg Extension

Leg extensions are a very poor exercise from an efficiency standpoint and on the risk:benefit. The shear on the joint is something that cannot be denied.

j4ever41

Awards
if you have limited weight and eqiupment, use what you got, slow down our reps and feel the movement,use shorter resting periods.

unreal89

unreal89

Awards
if you have limited weight and eqiupment, use what you got, slow down our reps and feel the movement,use shorter resting periods.
body squats or sumo squats at home are very effective at high reps and slower repping

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
BSS>>>>>>>Leg Extension

Leg extensions are a very poor exercise from an efficiency standpoint and on the risk:benefit. The shear on the joint is something that cannot be denied.
BSS? Is that barbell sissy squat?