AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know box squats are good for improving the top portion of the squat or to help get out of the hole. I was just wondering if anyone can give input on how well box squats translate to hypertrophy and overall leg mass. Yes, I want to increase my overall squat, but numbers are not my main focus.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If your hamstrings are lacking, they will help that. Shouldn't really blow your quads up too much, not saying it couldn't. The reduction in time under tension and the hip dominant technique makes them a less than optimal choice, but I've been to gyms where every member box squats exclusively, and they all have good leg growth over the years.

GaWd

GaWd

Awards
Box squats aren't good for much, unless you're a geared lifter. Unless working around an injury, I'd suggest that a bodybuilder use full-rom or front squats.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Box squats aren't good for much, unless you're a geared lifter.
Lots of people say this is true in every article you find, but it's really not the case. Its not as good as competition practice, but it is certainly good as a second movement or on a second day, or away from a meet. Think of your Westside gone raw guys, they relearn how to do a raw free squat and they blow up huge numbers.

GaWd

GaWd

Awards
Lots of people say this is true in every article you find, but it's really not the case. Its not as good as competition practice, but it is certainly good as a second movement or on a second day, or away from a meet. Think of your Westside gone raw guys, they relearn how to do a raw free squat and they blow up huge numbers.
I personally find this to be true, however. I get much less help out of box squats than I would any other kind of full-ROM squat. I know there are loads of guys who swear by box squats, but most of them happen to be westsiders and/or currently using lifting gear. I don't think any of the current raw squatters use the box as one of their movements (Green, CWS, Lilliebridge, Andrey).

For a bodybuilder, wouldn't you also suggest full-ROM or quad-dominant squatting movements? If so, the box squat probably wouldn't come to mind as a first or second choice.

So I don't disagree with you, exactly, but box squatting is more situational when you think about its appropriateness.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally find this to be true, however. I get much less help out of box squats than I would any other kind of full-ROM squat. I know there are loads of guys who swear by box squats, but most of them happen to be westsiders and/or currently using lifting gear. I don't think any of the current raw squatters use the box as one of their movements (Green, CWS, Lilliebridge, Andrey).

For a bodybuilder, wouldn't you also suggest full-ROM or quad-dominant squatting movements? If so, the box squat probably wouldn't come to mind as a first or second choice.

So I don't disagree with you, exactly, but box squatting is more situational when you think about its appropriateness.
You're right, I wouldn't recommend it for bodybuilders. And I didn't.

I just don't believe the statement that box squats are only good for geared lifters
Brandon Lilly, Greg Panora, and Donnie Thompson have all squatted over 800 raw with box squats being a foundation builer. Whether Lilly cries about Westside and gear making him weak (he's wrong). I personally box squat more than half the time and have a 633 raw competition squat.

You're absolutely correct, the top name raw lifters do not box squat. But there are current raw all time world record holders that box squat. I follow a couple on instagram and one is a member of this site. It is unwise to think of training in absolutes.

jaces

jaces

Awards
rather look into anderson squats.. helps me more than the box because the depth changes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 4
Training Forum 4
Training Forum 7
Training Forum 3
Training Forum 18