PHAT or PHUL?

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
The title pretty much sums it up. I am looking at incorporating a new routine for the new year and can't decide on which one. I have been reading the forums for a while on this topic but can't decide.

Anyone have any opinions on either or? Experiences? Pros? Cons?

I have usually run major/minor splits for 4 days a week and sometimes 5. I loved the shortcut to size routine by Jim Stoppani but unfortunately with my work schedule and family obligations I have to workout only using my home gym setup so my exercise choices are somewhat limited.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I've had amazing success (as have a few others) running a 6 day version of PHAT. Size and strength across the board.

Bartmac36

Bartmac36

Awards
  • Established
Im currently following ph3, which is the updated version of phat and its treating me very well in terms of overall size and strength gains

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Im currently following ph3, which is the updated version of phat and its treating me very well in terms of overall size and strength gains
How long have you been on it and what have you seen so far? That's prob next on my list to try, and then bastardize myself ha

Bartmac36

Bartmac36

Awards
  • Established
How long have you been on it and what have you seen so far? That's prob next on my list to try, and then bastardize myself ha
I just started the third and final block so about 8 1/2 weeks in to a 13 week program. I only just started running creatine and betaine last week and the only other think ive taken during the whole program is whey protein, so the gains are all a result of a good diet and following the program to a T.

So far I've gotten my bench up from 245 to 255 (and I'm a VERY hard gainer when it comes to chest) my squat has gone from 325 to 340 and my deadlift has gone from 405 to 420-425. i'd say ive added about 5-6 lbs of solid muscle so far

Im pretty stoked for these last 4 1/2 weeks :)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I just started the third and final block so about 8 1/2 weeks in to a 13 week program. I only just started running creatine and betaine last week and the only other think ive taken during the whole program is whey protein, so the gains are all a result of a good diet and following the program to a T.

So far I've gotten my bench up from 245 to 255 (and I'm a VERY hard gainer when it comes to chest) my squat has gone from 325 to 340 and my deadlift has gone from 405 to 420-425. i'd say ive added about 5-6 lbs of solid muscle so far

Im pretty stoked for these last 4 1/2 weeks :)
Wow! Those are incredible numbers for just 8-9 weeks... Looks like this will def be my next choice. Thanks! (And keep us updated with your final progress!)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Link to the PH3? A buddy at the gym briefly told me about it

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
I was looking at the ph3 before but if I do a similar program I will most likely start his original. I looked at Arnold's blueprint too and it is also twice a week.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hate how I have to add it to the calendar to actually see the workout. Looked through the first two days. Seems interesting. 45 minutes to do 6 sets on the first day though. Seems like that would only take 30 minutes or so.

What do you think of it Boone?
I haven't totally read through all of it but from the brief overview and some skimming...

Def not for beginners or anyone cutting. Too much volume and intensity, almost guaranteed injury.

You have to really be able to push yourself. Programs like this won't work for people who just go through the motions.

There's a lot of workouts so you have to be able to go to the gym often and have access to the big weights.

Personally, it looks much more like a strength program but I also thought that about PHAT initially too. What I've come to see is that even low reps can produce decent size with enough volume.

Overall it looks promising. I am hesitant to do the big 3 that often as it could be a bit much for a lot of people but then again nothing will help you progress as much either.

Bartmac36

Bartmac36

Awards
  • Established
Its definitely tough. There have been points where ive had to drag myself thru the week, especially the final weeks of each block before the deload..

The volume just gets nuts and doesnt slow down til youre done the program.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Its definitely tough. There have been points where ive had to drag myself thru the week, especially the final weeks of each block before the deload..

The volume just gets nuts and doesnt slow down til youre done the program.
Ha that's pretty much exactly what I figured.

What's your diet like as far as deficit/maint/surplus? Have you tried tweaking it at all?

Bartmac36

Bartmac36

Awards
  • Established
Ha that's pretty much exactly what I figured.

What's your diet like as far as deficit/maint/surplus? Have you tried tweaking it at all?
Ive been in a slight surplus throughout, i'm gonna wait til im finished completely then begin a slow cut

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm really curious in this program now. Seems like recovery would be a pain in the ass though. Squatting 3 times a week and leg work and deads, damn.

gator67

gator67

Awards
I would vote for phat. Did that recently for four months and saw some nice progress. Are you planning to be in a surplus or cut? If you're cutting you may want to try a routine with more volume/less rest between sets such as HIIT 100 or shortcut to shred, both by Stoppani. If you're looking to add mass, you're gtg on phat.

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
I would vote for phat. Did that recently for four months and saw some nice progress. Are you planning to be in a surplus or cut? If you're cutting you may want to try a routine with more volume/less rest between sets such as HIIT 100 or shortcut to shred, both by Stoppani. If you're looking to add mass, you're gtg on phat.
Yeah it is winter time so I am looking to bulk. However, I don't like to go on extreme bulks and extreme cuts. I try to gain with as little fat as possible so the gains are very slow.

gator67

gator67

Awards
Yeah it is winter time so I am looking to bulk. However, I don't like to go on extreme bulks and extreme cuts. I try to gain with as little fat as possible so the gains are very slow.
That would be mostly dictated by diet/calorie intake with your program being supplemental to your goals. Good luck