Push-ups every day?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
As some of you may know my main goal is TO BLOW UP AND THEN ACT LIKE I DONT KNOW NOBODY! All kidding aside my main goal is to be the best pound for pound bench presser. Not close to it yet but that is the goal. I do pressing three days a week. Currently doing 3 sets of 4 board on flat followed by 3 sets incline paused and 3 sets seated military paused. My question is, would doing sets of 10 push-ups all throughout the day leading up to 50-200 push-ups total be beneficial, damaging, or just no change for the better or worse? This would be every day both workout days and off days. I can do a straight set of 60 push-ups fairly easy so I don't think this would negatively effect me, I just don't want it to negatively effect my recovery from too much volume or something since my program is working nicely at the moment. Any advice is greatly appreciate. As always God bless and happy holidays

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Accumulating more volume is never a bad thing. Just be sure to match the extra volume with some facepulls or pullaparts or rows and start really ridiculously low with the added pushup volume and add more on to it really slow.

Westside guys used to do 100 leg curls every day with your grandma's ankle weights to build up their squat. Same concept.

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
I will always be a proponent of adding push-ups in whenever possible. Calisthenics add a different dimension of functional athleticism/strength. I'm a big fan of the "greasing the groove" method where you "practice" things like push-ups, pull-ups etc. by doing it constantly throughout the day.

I would suggest however to really check your form before you continue, as most people who do a lot of push-ups I've seen are not using optimal form and cheating themselves.

When it comes to Calisthenics, proper form is of higher importance than it is with weight-training. You can do 100 nonsense push-ups and see less benefit than doing 10 strict-form push-ups, whereas pressing 400lbs is still an accomplishment regardless of what form you use.

I used to be able to do 40, changed my form based on a lot of research and dropped down to 5-10 no joke, but the # you are doing is of no benefit to you compared to using the strictest possible form.

allbrawn

allbrawn

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you want to set a new 1 rep max on BB bench?
If that's the case then I'll share what I did to get my 1 rep from 355 to 405lbs in a little over a month.
-I'd bench every other day.
Example workout:
-flat bench 135x10, 225x5, 315x5, 335x3, 355x1, 315x5, 225x25.
-incline bb bench 135x10, 225x5, 315x5, 225x20.
-some cable fly work
-ended with dips.
-ate around 600-800 carbs a day.
-gained fat/(ate surplus) in my journey to bench 4 plates(195 to 210lbs)

Closing thoughts-add more volume to your workouts and do some clap push-ups, should help with explosiveness.
-don't get chubby like I did though;)
Goodluck man!

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Accumulating more volume is never a bad thing. Just be sure to match the extra volume with some facepulls or pullaparts or rows and start really ridiculously low with the added pushup volume and add more on to it really slow.

Westside guys used to do 100 leg curls every day with your grandma's ankle weights to build up their squat. Same concept.
I agree with this