5 months b/c of surgery - advice in getting back

so_it_goes_30

Awards
I'm in the situation of having the longest lay off of my life from working out due to surgery I had in the summer.

I had Maxillofacial Orthognathic surgery and was required to not lift weights for 4-5 months, **** sucks but I have been basically waiting for this surgery my whole entire life. M.O is basically when they cut off your jaw and then re-position it to correct a bite, in my case it was a severe under-bite.

Before the surgery I was probably close to being in the best shape of my life, maybe even better when I was playing college football because I knew there would be a long lay off. I was about 230-235 around 12-15% body fat, benching 385 max, benching 225 x 25 times, and dead-lifting 575. Between not being able to eat solid foods for the first month and not being able to workout for the last 4-5 months, I've lost probably close to or over 20-25 lbs and I'm going to say that a majority of that is muscle.

Anyone have advice in getting back into shape after so long (besides just getting back to the gym)? Before the surgery I was working out 5-6 days a week but obviously that's not going to work now.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm surprised they made you wait that long. Did they do both upper and lower? ( I work in orthodontics)

Regardless, work your way back up. Start by setting up your nutrition and building your calories back up. Probably start training 3-4 days a week. You will be much weaker than you were but don't let that discourage you! You will get back to where you were! Do moderate weight as you build back up and then slowly start working towards strength as you feel more comfortable!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What Kat said. A few full body days with weight that doesn't fatigue you could build your base back up.