How to do rack deadlifts without the rack? (Stacked 45s)?

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I can tell that deadlifts are perhaps the exercise I respond to the most in terms of upper body size and total development. I do rack deadlifts as these have helped me stay injury-free.

The best gym I have in my area is a 24 Hour. They only have one power rack, however. I would like to do rack deadlifts without having to depend on the power rack to be free when I go. I'm thinking about stacking 3 45 lbs. plates as the base for the barbell, which I think should bring it to about the height of the first rung on the power rack.

Anyone do these? Does it work OK to stack 2-3 45's to put the barbell+plates on? I won't be lifting a huge amount right now, between 250-300lbs.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you mean rack pulls? What you'll be doing are block pulls.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It works, but your gym may not like the plate stacking. It's not hard to make out of wood or cut up horse stall mats stacked up. If you get your form and mobility down, you should be able to do full range pulls from the floor with a little work on those areas.

jake1986

Awards
I think it would. Especially rubber coated plates.

jake1986

Awards
Full rom is def better. Lots of guys see good results from rack pulls though because you can really overload your back.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
For me I just know having done floor DLs that there is something about the angle that my SL joint does not like ... but rack pulls seem to work just fine. I'll give it a try and see what they say if anything.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Do you mean rack pulls? What you'll be doing are block pulls.
Yep I'm trying to mimic rack DLs. Technically I'm sure you're right that they'd be called block pulls. And I think in your pic you're doing some kind of bikini strap pull

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
block pulls are safer for the bar. you can bend a bar doing a rack pull. that is why some companies sell racks with nylon straps to catch the bar which gives a bit so you do not bend the bar either.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never heard of any gym giving a **** if you stack a couple 45s. But yes, that would be a way to do it. Most racks will not go low enough to work as a block pull.