Honing a new strength/hypertrophy plan

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Like it says in the title I wanted to create a workout plan to help me gain the strength I want, but still stay aesthetic and proportionate in my physique.

I'm not competing nor do I plan to, I just don't want to end up as the dude with the chicken legs.

So hear is my plan, I tried to hit all the muscle groups at least 2 times a week, except for arms, but I may add some more exercises for biceps/triceps on my first chest day then I think that would be good, right?

Any help would be awesome, don't be shy (if it's s*** it's s*** and i'll figure out how to get the most out of 5 days a week)

Day 1: Chest/Calves:

-Incline Bench Press (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Incline Dumbell Press (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Flat Bench Press (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Dips (3 sets, 5-8 reps)

Calf workout 1:
-Standing Calf Raise (3 sets of 4-6 reps)
-Seated Calf Raise (3 sets of 4-6 reps)

Day 2: Back/Abs

-Sumo Deadlift (2 warm up sets, then 3 sets of 6-8 reps)
-Barbell Row (3 sets, 6-8 reps)
-Wide Grip Pull-up/Chin-up (3 sets will do weighted if possible, 6-8 reps)
-Close-Grip Lat Pulldowns (3 sets, 6-8 reps)
-Barbell shrugs (2 sets, 8- 10 reps)

Ab Circuit: (3-6 times)
-Russian twist (20 reps)
-Bicycles (20 reps)
-Leg Lifts (15 reps)
-Heel Touches (20 reps)

Day 3: Shoulders/Calves:

-Military Press (2 warm up sets, then 3 working sets, 8-10 reps)
-Side Lateral Raise (3 sets, 8-10 reps)
-Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise (3 sets, 8-10 reps)

Calf Workout 2:
-Leg Press Calf Raise (3 sets, 8-10 reps)
-Donkey Press (3 sets, 8-10 reps)

Day 4: Upper Body/Abs:
-Incline Bench Press (2 warm up sets, then 3 sets of 8-10 reps)
-Barbell Curl (2 warm up sets, then 3 sets of 5-8 reps)
-Close-Grip Bench (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Alternating Dumbbell Curl (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Seated Tricep Press (3 sets, 5-8 reps)

-Russian twist (20 reps)
-Bicycles (20 reps)
-Leg Lifts (15 reps)
-Heel Touches (20 reps)

Day 5: Legs/Shoulders:

-Squats (2 warm up sets, 3 sets of 5-8 reps)
-Leg Press (3 sets or 8-10 reps)
-Romanian Deadlift (3 sets, 6-8 reps)

Calf Workout 3:
-Standing Calf Raise (3 sets, 12-15 reps)
-Seated Calf Raise (3 sets, 12-15 reps)

ForceOfNature

Awards
Look into PHAT seems like that is what your looking for.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Dfin0490

Dfin0490

Awards
I like 10x3 strength goes up .Helps spur hypertrophy use 80% of Max

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've found nothing that can touch a hybrid approach of PHAT and R/P training for strength and size. Incorporating R/P on hypertrophy days.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I like 10x3 strength goes up .Helps spur hypertrophy use 80% of Max
I'm just asking to make sure, but you mean 3 sets of 10 reps with 80% of my 1RM?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like it says in the title I wanted to create a workout plan to help me gain the strength I want, but still stay aesthetic and proportionate in my physique.

I'm not competing nor do I plan to, I just don't want to end up as the dude with the chicken legs.

So hear is my plan, I tried to hit all the muscle groups at least 2 times a week, except for arms, but I may add some more exercises for biceps/triceps on my first chest day then I think that would be good, right?

Any help would be awesome, don't be shy (if it's s*** it's s*** and i'll figure out how to get the most out of 5 days a week)

Day 1: Chest/Calves:

-Incline Bench Press (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Incline Dumbell Press (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Flat Bench Press (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Dips (3 sets, 5-8 reps)

Calf workout 1:
-Standing Calf Raise (3 sets of 4-6 reps)
-Seated Calf Raise (3 sets of 4-6 reps)

Day 2: Back/Abs

-Sumo Deadlift (2 warm up sets, then 3 sets of 6-8 reps)
-Barbell Row (3 sets, 6-8 reps)
-Wide Grip Pull-up/Chin-up (3 sets will do weighted if possible, 6-8 reps)
-Close-Grip Lat Pulldowns (3 sets, 6-8 reps)
-Barbell shrugs (2 sets, 8- 10 reps)

-Russian twist (20 reps)
-Bicycles (20 reps)
-Leg Lifts (15 reps)
-Heel Touches (20 reps)

Day 3: Shoulders/Calves:

-Military Press (2 warm up sets, then 3 working sets, 8-10 reps)

Calf Workout 2:
-Leg Press Calf Raise (3 sets, 8-10 reps)
-Donkey Press (3 sets, 8-10 reps)

Day 4: Upper Body/Abs:
-Incline Bench Press (2 warm up sets, then 3 sets of 8-10 reps)
-Barbell Curl (2 warm up sets, then 3 sets of 5-8 reps)
-Close-Grip Bench (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Alternating Dumbbell Curl (3 sets, 5-8 reps)
-Seated Tricep Press (3 sets, 5-8 reps)

-Russian twist (20 reps)
-Bicycles (20 reps)
-Leg Lifts (15 reps)
-Heel Touches (20 reps)

Day 5: Legs/Shoulders:

-Squats (2 warm up sets, 3 sets of 5-8 reps)
-Leg Press (3 sets or 8-10 reps)
-Romanian Deadlift (3 sets, 6-8 reps)

Calf Workout 3:
-Standing Calf Raise (3 sets, 12-15 reps)
-Seated Calf Raise (3 sets, 12-15 reps)
If you're in the gym going hard 5x a week and drug free...imo,you're spinning your wheels.

I would instead switch to a 4x a week upper/lower.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
If you're in the gym going hard 5x a week and drug free...imo,you're spinning your wheels.

I was going to hop onto some Phospha Muscle and Plasma muscle from MuscleTech, but yeah I won't be on any AAS, PH or SARMS.

ForceOfNature

Awards

Lol. Your really not. That's one of those dumb over training myths. Many natural athletes train 6-7 days week up to 2-3 times a day and they are obviously some of the most healthy and fit people on the planet. As long as your hitting your muscle groups 2-3 times a week, it doesn't matter what spilt or how many days you train. Of course your age, your body's ability to recover, training intensity and volume come into play here but listen to your body. The upper/lower split is convenient and effective for a lot of people though but if your like me and love to be in the gym then there's no harm in going 5-6 days week, so long as your diet and everything thing else is in place and your body allows you to. See what works for you.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol. Your really not. That's one of those dumb over training myths. Many natural athletes train 6-7 days week up to 2-3 times a day and they are obviously some of the most healthy and fit people on the planet. As long as your hitting your muscle groups 2-3 times a week, it doesn't matter what spilt or how many days you train. Of course your age, your body's ability to recover, training intensity and volume come into play here but listen to your body. The upper/lower split is convenient and effective for a lot of people though but if your like me and love to be in the gym then there's no harm in going 5-6 days week, so long as your diet and everything thing else is in place and your body allows you to. See what works for you.
I'm talking more about MPS and wasted time but okay.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
What about 4 days alternating upper body/lower body then on the fifth day I do a full body workout swimming laps or something to that effect?

ForceOfNature

Awards
What about 4 days alternating upper body/lower body then on the fifth day I do a full body workout swimming laps or something to that effect?
Seems like the 5th day is an active rest (cardiovascular work) which actually helps and enhances recovery. I wouldn't recommend lifting on that day full body because either your upper or lower body will be worked the day before and most likely won't get the chance to recover but your can rotate for the 5th day. Example:

Day 1: upper body
Day 2: lower body
Day 3: upper body
Day 4: lower body
Day 5: upper body
Then the next week you can work lower body 3x a week and keep rotating but most people prefer a rest day on day 3 and hitting each muscle groups 2x a week. You can try the rotation and see if your body can recover in time between workouts but I would still recommend the active rests. You can play sports and swim and do cardiovascular work and it should help you with recovery and keeping healthy and fit but don't go too hard on the rest days. Try both methods and see which one works for you.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Seems like the 5th day is an active rest (cardiovascular work) which actually helps and enhances recovery. I wouldn't recommend lifting on that day full body because either your upper or lower body will be worked the day before and most likely won't get the chance to recover but your can rotate for the 5th day. Example:

Day 1: upper body
Day 2: lower body
Day 3: upper body
Day 4: lower body
Day 5: upper body
Then the next week you can work lower body 3x a week and keep rotating but most people prefer a rest day on day 3 and hitting each muscle groups 2x a week. You can try the rotation and see if your body can recover in time between workouts but I would still recommend the active rests. You can play sports and swim and do cardiovascular work and it should help you with recovery and keeping healthy and fit but don't go too hard on the rest days. Try both methods and see which one works for you.
Okay. I like the rest and doing 4 days a week rotating upper and lower body. Is there a good template for the exercises of each day or is it a blank slate and that's up to me to decide?

ForceOfNature

Awards
Okay. I like the rest and doing 4 days a week rotating upper and lower body. Is there a good template for the exercises of each day or is it a blank slate and that's up to me to decide?
Totally up to you to decide but the general idea of the plan is to have majority compound movements and to work at a moderate volume. Other than that you mix and match for whatever you want.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Totally up to you to decide but the general idea of the plan is to have majority compound movements and to work at a moderate volume. Other than that you mix and match for whatever you want.
Alright! Good to hear. I'll break out my encyclopedia on exercises and throw something together and post up later.

Dfin0490

Dfin0490

Awards
Like I said before I do full body 3 to 4 days a week and bench squat rows or pull ups or deads in place of squats and do 10x3 and my strength will go up 5 pounds a week to every two weeks Consistently

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Like I said before I do full body 3 to 4 days a week and bench squat rows or pull ups or deads in place of squats and do 10x3 and my strength will go up 5 pounds a week to every two weeks Consistently
I'll probably make a plan like that for when I have a busier week.

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
I've been doing my own modified version of PHAT for the last year and a half with good results. Took my squat from 390 to 445 and Bench to 295 to 340 I started it during a cut and have bulked for a straight year on it. Went from 187 @7% to currently 224 @13% very slow but steady results. Not meaning to talk about myself just trying to give you an idea of what to expect, good luck man!

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing my own modified version of PHAT for the last year and a half with good results. Took my squat from 390 to 445 and Bench to 295 to 340 I started it during a cut and have bulked for a straight year on it. Went from 187 @7% to currently 224 @13% very slow but steady results. Not meaning to talk about myself just trying to give you an idea of what to expect, good luck man!
Okay cool. Could you post it or pm it to me?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like posted, my most effective routine to date has been a hybrid PHAT and R/P.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Like posted, my most effective routine to date has been a hybrid PHAT and R/P.
Okay. Is it okay to change out the SLDL for a sumo deadlift?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's ok to do whatever works for you, but they are not replacements for each other in terms of muscle groups worked. I have found it much more effective to work DLs every other week also.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I like the hybrid PHAT routine like was posted. I just may need some help creating something with what I have at the gym I go to.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That isn't a hybrid, it is just a PHAT routine with some changing in movements. Just FYI.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
That isn't a hybrid, it is just a PHAT routine with some changing in movements. Just FYI.
Okay. I'll need some time and/or help to make a hybrid PHAT program.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why do you need to make a hybrid program? Best to run it as designed since you haven't done it yet. The only reason to tweak it is when you have run it and are looking to improve it or tailor it to a particular situation.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Oh okay. Gotcha.

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
kisaj you like the PHAT program? Can't decide whether or not I want to do PHAT or PHUL.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am a huge fan of PHAT. It's the basis of the majority of my routines and I tweak the power or hypertrophy days as needed.

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
I am a huge fan of PHAT. It's the basis of the majority of my routines and I tweak the power or hypertrophy days as needed.
Do you feel overwhelmed with the volume of training, and/or do you feel like you hit each muscle group effectively?

I started a new thread on this topic because I didn't want to hijack this one but figured I ask.

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards
Do you feel overwhelmed with the volume of training, and/or do you feel like you hit each muscle group effectively?

I started a new thread on this topic because I didn't want to hijack this one but figured I ask.
Volume is personal. And also the amount of volume you can tolerate/need to get a training response will increase over time. With that being said I personally don't find it overwhelming but I've ran PHAT for almost two straight years and the amount of volume I've done has increased over time. I also feel like I hit all muscle groups effectively. PHAT is a great way to lay out a program and you can add volume where/when you need to. It will feel tiring at first especially if you have been hitting muscle groups once a week or low volume. Layne said that a lot of people find this but once your body adapts you will be fine. I think you should go for PHAT and if you do let me know how you like it!