How long does it take pec to recover from strain or tear?

rfisse@gmail.

Awards
About 4 weeks ago I did chest and don't remember pulling anything. 2 days later in went to do shoulders and couldn't even get 45 lb dumbells up to warmup on my right side. It all of a sudden went weak on me. I just went to the dr last week because I thought it was a nerve injury but he said it was my pec muscle. I lost about 75% on my bench on my right side. There is no pain whatsoever just a dead feeling like the muscles arnt firing. The dr. said go light. I was wondering if anybody else had a issue like this and how long did it take to get back to normal?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tear can take anywhere from 4 months up to a year if bad enough. Some actually require surgery. Strain could be anywhere from 1 to 8 weeks again...depending on severity.

If your doc didn't mention surgery and you didn't see any visual changes such as internal brusing or the real bad stuff like your pec turning purple

You should be fine.

Just take it slow.

rfisse@gmail.

Awards
Ok thanks for the reply it's weird because I don't know where I strained because nothing hurts just weak as hell

Archimedes

Awards
Even when you think you're fully healed, always start back very gently. I've seen people who think they're completely healed go back into the gym as if nothing every happened and they re-injure themselves.

So whenever it is that you think you're ready to start back, start back slow. Just because you don't feel any pain at rest or with minimal exertion doesn't mean that you won't get hurt if you go all out immediately. If you experience any pain, stop and rest up longer. Better to rest longer than injure yourself all over again.

When I was younger I sprained a wrist very badly and rested it for quite a while. After a while it didn't seem to hurt anymore when I turned it or when I picked up something light, but when I went back into the gym I strained it again because it wasn't fully healed and I tried to lift a heavier weight than I should have.

To recap...... Rest until you think you're good-to-go and then start back slow and work your way up from there.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had a pec strain last October. It's happened four times since then. Rest first. Then go light. Then keep going light for quite some time, and build up slowly. Like, a snail's pace. Reoccurrence is very common.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tear can take anywhere from 4 months up to a year if bad enough. Some actually require surgery. Strain could be anywhere from 1 to 8 weeks again...depending on severity.

If your doc didn't mention surgery and you didn't see any visual changes such as internal brusing or the real bad stuff like your pec turning purple

You should be fine.

Just take it slow.
This. Strains and tears are the most frustrating injuries because of the time they take to heal. I'd almost rather break something because it heals faster and you don't risk the chance of re-injury by believing you are healed or jumping back in too fast.

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
I had a pec strain last October. It's happened four times since then. Rest first. Then go light. Then keep going light for quite some time, and build up slowly. Like, a snail's pace. Reoccurrence is very common.
Would you say it's scar tissue that you're tearing on those last four instances? I've had a cycle of injuring, healing, and reinjuring my quad for 18 months now. I recently read that scar tissue is the culprit here, and that it should be massaged out. I've tried traditional mobility tools but they hurt too much on the injured leg. Recently bought a TENs unit. That seems to be helping after just a few rounds. I think it's breaking up the scar tissue

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First few times, yes. Not this last time, though