Lifting Schedule Setup

W13NY

Awards
So I started a new job and im just trying to adjust my lifting schedule. I always have more energy during the beginning of the week obviously so what are opinions on which muscle group I should do on what days? The two options I came up with were:

Option 1
Monday - Back (Deadlifts)
Tuesday - Shoulders (OH Press)
Wednesday - Arms
Thursday - Legs (Squats)
Saturday or Sunday - Chest (Bench)

Option 2
Monday - Back
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Arms
Saturday or Sunday - Shoulders

Im very set on keeping my 5 day schedule seeing as its taken me a while to figure out how my body gains best and this is it. But if anyone can suggest a different order that might make more sense thatd be helpful.

Weight: 191-194
Years Lifting: 7.5
Supplements: Multi, Fish Oil, Flax Oil, Creatine, Beta Alanine, Whey, Xtend, Casein

Vector300

Vector300

Awards
What about doing an upper/lower split? Like...

Monday - Lower Heavy

Tuesday - Upper Hypertrophy

Wednesday - Lower Hypertrophy

Thursday - Upper Heavy

Saturday or Sunday - Arms/Grip/etc.

Alternately you could also do three full body days with some lighter accessory days in between...

Monday - Full Body Heavy

Tuesday - Accessory Light

Wednesday - Full Body Heavy

Thursday - Accessory Light

Saturday or Sunday - Full Body

Nothing against typical body part splits, they definitely have their place especially if your 12 weeks out from a comp and you're trying to maximize a lagging muscle group or whatever, but most guys who train like bodybuilders aren't. It's just what's popular and what they know. It's familiar. What are your short term and long term goals? I'm a big believer in frequency but I'm also more into strength training over bodybuilding/physique. So just my 0.02. Hope it helps.

W13NY

Awards
Thanks for the reply. Well my father was a competitive bodybuilder so I guess thats where I get my bodybuilding mindset from. But in no way am I trying to be a bodybuilder. More just trying to be athletic and ripped but i'd love to be in the 205-210lb range within some time. Ive tried full body and it just doesnt work for me but the upper and lower heavy/light days is something I can look more into. Thanks for your insight

Vector300

Vector300

Awards
Thanks for the reply. Well my father was a competitive bodybuilder so I guess thats where I get my bodybuilding mindset from. But in no way am I trying to be a bodybuilder. More just trying to be athletic and ripped but i'd love to be in the 205-210lb range within some time. Ive tried full body and it just doesnt work for me but the upper and lower heavy/light days is something I can look more into. Thanks for your insight
Absolutely - it's a nice blend of frequency and volume. Check out Jamie Lewis (Chaos and Pain), Jason Ferruggia (Renegade training), Chad Waterbury (Waterbury method), Zac Even-Esh (Underground Strength). These are some dudes who know what they're doing when it comes to getting both strong and jacked. I don't believe everything I'm told but they've been pretty consistent in being at the tip of the "swole" spear.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You could also try a ppl split too... split it to hypertrophy and strength focused days... could do all in a row, 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off, etc etc

either that or a mix of the two in PHAT. 3 day ppl + 2 days upper/low each week