6 week program for Halo cycle

stespiel

stespiel

Awards
Wondering if anyone has recommendations for a program while I'm on a 6 week halo cycle. So for I've been recommended either jay cutlers 8 week living large program or HST. Any others I should look into?

*Edit: goal is size.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
What is it that you're looking to do with your physique? Where are you at experience wise with the pro hormones and training? And do you have a solid mind/muscle connection established?

stespiel

stespiel

Awards
What is it that you're looking to do with your physique? Where are you at experience wise with the pro hormones and training? And do you have a solid mind/muscle connection established?
good questions.. trying to get bigger all around. currently 5'8" 160lbs 10% bf, would like to be 180lbs at same %. this is going to be my first cycle. been training since high school (10yrs) mostly powerlifting but been doing more crossfit and oly lifting in the last couple years.

regarding your last question, i got my mind on my muscle and my muscle on my mind.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
OK well if you've built a solid base from powerlifting first you should be gtg.. Honestly I don't recommend doing any pro bodybuilders 'training programs' it had been released that most of the training programs you'd see from pros in some magazines were just a sham to make you think they were killing it for hours on end..typically not the case. You wanna put on some size, stimulate the muscle with some heavy ass weight. Intensity is key, and take the training to absolute failure including the negative portion, I believe that's most important. Make sure to hit your compound lifts, opt for barbells and dumbbells over machines

stespiel

stespiel

Awards
OK well if you've built a solid base from powerlifting first you should be gtg.. Honestly I don't recommend doing any pro bodybuilders 'training programs' it had been released that most of the training programs you'd see from pros in some magazines were just a sham to make you think they were killing it for hours on end..typically not the case. You wanna put on some size, stimulate the muscle with some heavy ass weight. Intensity is key, and take the training to absolute failure including the negative portion, I believe that's most important. Make sure to hit your compound lifts, opt for barbells and dumbbells over machines
interesting, didn't know that about the pro bb programs. what are your thoughts on something that starts higher reps (12-15) first couple weeks and works down to heavier sets of 5 the last couple weeks? or would you stay in the 8-10 range straight through?

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
Ultimately I always stick to the 8-12 range "scientifically" that is the hypertrophy range, but I really believe whether it's 2 reps or 20 reps, you take your muscle to absolute failure and you're going to grow..

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
interesting, didn't know that about the pro bb programs. what are your thoughts on something that starts higher reps (12-15) first couple weeks and works down to heavier sets of 5 the last couple weeks? or would you stay in the 8-10 range straight through?
If you're going to do heavy 1-5 rep sets, best do those like you would be doing them at your crossfit classes... Do them at the start of your workout, then work into your high volume sets right afterwards. This will be pretty optimal, instead of transitioning over time to just one or the other. Best to keep up with both.

With that being said, I typically move into an HST type layout when gains stall while on. Also, don't forget to adjust your macros as weight increases.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
If you're going to do heavy 1-5 rep sets, best do those like you would be doing them at your crossfit classes... Do them at the start of your workout, then work into your high volume sets right afterwards. This will be pretty optimal, instead of transitioning over time to just one or the other. Best to keep up with both.

With that being said, I typically move into an HST type layout when gains stall while on. Also, don't forget to adjust your macros as weight increases.
I don't think he was looking particularly to do 1-5 rep sets I was just referencing that taking the set to absolute failure is going stimulate the muscle indefinitely in comparison to say doing 15 or 20 reps with moderate strain and just ending the set because you hit that preconceived rep number instead of muscle failure, you know what I mean?

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards

But gutterpump you seem to know your stuff from what I've seen so far I posted a carbs thread before, haven't gotten any feedback yet check it out I'd like to see what you think about sources

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yup I know what you're saying. Just commenting on his rep range question. It's more beneficial (overall) to include both rep ranges in your weekly training imo (instead of bridging one into another), and I'd definitely hit low reps first before moving into higher rep ranges.