Are powerlifting exercises necessary to build a nice physique?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I see all these people preaching squats, and deadlifts. I do them.

But I was thinking about this today..........

Are they really mandatory for a man or woman to build a solid sexy physique? If a person has no desire to be as strong as possible, and just wants to look great, do they really need to do squats and deadlifts till they puke?

Im sure a person who goes to the gym 5-6 days per week, gets their cardio in, watches what they eat, and throws in weights 3-4 of those days, can build a physique that most people would admire and women or men would love.

Thoughts?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No they aren't necessary for that purpose. There are many other ways to build muscle and look good.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe not necessary, but for the purposes of building muscle mass they are the most effective. If you have the amount of mass you want then it is okay to dial back on the compound lifts and focus more on isolation and accessory lifts. Compounds lifts still need to be utilized on occasion to keep mass though. I don't deadlift or squat with near the frequency that I used to unless on a bulking cycle.

jake1986

Awards
Very important for building a foundation. I do think they're important for hormonal release as well as functional strength.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Both of you are obviously correct and that is my belief, however, OP isn't interested in those points. Just if they are required to look good.

jake1986

Awards

Are they really mandatory for a man or woman to build a solid sexy physique? If a person has no desire to be as strong as possible, and just wants to look great, do they really need to do squats and deadlifts till they puke?

Im sure a person who goes to the gym 5-6 days per week, gets their cardio in, watches what they eat, and throws in weights 3-4 of those days, can build a physique that most people would admire and women or men would love.

Thoughts?

No I guess not

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No not necessary. But idk why anyone would want to avoid them.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
No necessary but man…it sure piles on muscle mass quicker IMHO

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
Do cleans. Power cleans, squat cleans, hang cleans. Cleans!!!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's all about the most bang for your buck!! And these moves provide that... But also, you have to weigh in the best risk/reward ratio for yourself personally.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Compound movements will always dominate but maybe not necessary

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't say powerlifting exercises per se, but definitely compound movements.

Tugboat22

Tugboat22

Awards
Maybe it was just the age I was at when I was informed of the importance of squats and deads, but that is when my body started to really take shape and grow. I guess that's a hard question to answer.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Deadlifts maybe not. But I would be hard pressed to see nice legs that didn't squat or a great chest that didn't bench. I believe BB rows and Chins could sub for deadlifts. But would lose on overall mass and trap gains by not dong them.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Row and chinups definitely are not an alternative to deads, but deads aren't necessary in any aesthetic program. They are optimal for athletic programs that requires explosiveness and over all power.

In any case, like mentioned, the OP only cares about looks and for his purposes, squats and deads are not required.

compudog

compudog

Awards
Yes. The primary function of muscle is strength. Attractiveness is a secondary function, but evolution hasn't seen fit to make that drive the developement of muscle. IOW, no-one is born with a lot of muscle, not the way some people are born good looking. Everyone has to work for it. So the primary purpose of muscle is strength. So if you want more muscle you have to get stronger. That said, the classic barbell lifts aren't the only way to get stronger. They are however, the most efficient. So I would say that, in order to build the balanced physique that people want, yes you pretty much have to do the barbell lifts.

ForceOfNature

Awards

Thoughts?
Necessary? No. Some of the most beneficial movements? Yes. These "powerlifting" movements in my opinion should be incorporated into anyone's workout program. There not necessary to build a nice physique but they will damn sure speed up the process and you will also have strength to go with that nice physique. In the Golden era of bodybuilding, most of these if not all powerlifting movements were staples in a lot of people's workout routine

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Row and chinups definitely are not an alternative to deads, but deads aren't necessary in any aesthetic program. They are optimal for athletic programs that requires explosiveness and over all power.

In any case, like mentioned, the OP only cares about looks and for his purposes, squats and deads are not required.
I meant in that they are just as successful at building up a big back - not a straight exercise sub =P

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I meant in that they are just as successful at building up a big back - not a straight exercise sub =P
Oh, for size, they are better. Bb rows, single arm rows, snatch grip high pulls, face pulls all work to build a bigger back over DLs.

dana2000

Awards
Bad shoulder (rotater cuff)makes me stay away from the squats. I can't even grab the bar on my back. I do front squats once in awhile and they are killers on my shoulder as well.