Question about the clean and press

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When doing this movement, I typically power clean into an immediate push-press. Is this acceptable? Or do you have to catch your clean in a front squat?

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
Are you competing? If not, you're fine catching and pressing without dropping into a full squat clean first. If you are competing, I have no idea!

You may want to try clusters sometime - squat clean thrusters. They SUCK

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are you competing? If not, you're fine catching and pressing without dropping into a full squat clean first. If you are competing, I have no idea!

You may want to try clusters sometime - squat clean thrusters. They SUCK
Thanks. Yes we did clusters in a workout last night at my crossfit box. I like them lol.. I went with the full px'd weight (135) hehe

HSPU x 3
Clusters x 2 (135)
Muscle ups x 2

As many rounds as possible in 21min.

I have to work on my form for cleans. They tend to get my lower back real tight because I muscle the weight up too much.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Acceptable for what? Depends on what you are trying to accomplish or which movement you are trying to do.

In general there shouldn't be an issue with it.

Now in a competition a push press wouldn't count, but you don't have to catch in the in the squat (catching in a power position is acceptable). Catching in the squat is preferred tho as it should allow you to lift more weight in competition.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Acceptable for what? Depends on what you are trying to accomplish or which movement you are trying to do.

In general there shouldn't be an issue with it.

Now in a competition a push press wouldn't count, but you don't have to catch in the in the squat (catching in a power position is acceptable). Catching in the squat is preferred tho as it should allow you to lift more weight in competition.
I'm not competing, but was just wondering the proper way to do them. I've seen videos that use different form (squat clean in one, no squat in another). So after the clean, you have to strict OH press the weight?

What I usually do when I'm practicing my clean and press is a power clean into a push-press, but this is wrong?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Again really depends on goals and point of choosing the exercise.

If training the movement for a competition in weightlifting you have to clean then jerk the weight (no press), most use a split for this but a power or squat jerk are acceptable as well (just less common).

Again there's nothing inherently wrong with your selection, that's a fine way to do it, again just depends on goals.

What reason do you do them for?

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Yes we did clusters in a workout last night at my crossfit box. I like them lol.. I went with the full px'd weight (135) hehe

HSPU x 3
Clusters x 2 (135)
Muscle ups x 2

As many rounds as possible in 21min.

I have to work on my form for cleans. They tend to get my lower back real tight because I muscle the weight up too much.
I hear you. There are guys smaller than me that can clean some impressive weight (way more than me) because they have developed a solid hip pop. I just try to muscle the damn weight up. But I'm working on it

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Again really depends on goals and point of choosing the exercise.

If training the movement for a competition in weightlifting you have to clean then jerk the weight (no press), most use a split for this but a power or squat jerk are acceptable as well (just less common).

Again there's nothing inherently wrong with your selection, that's a fine way to do it, again just depends on goals.

What reason do you do them for?
In all honesty, I enjoy them :) I love cleaning and I love OH pressing, and I love linking the two. Not only does it hit a lot of muscle groups, but it's the one movement that I can do that makes me feel strong/powerful/explosive too. It also carries over to other movements done in crossfit/olympic lifting, which I'm very new to. I just started to mix in a couple classes a week into my lifting. I foresee oly lifting as a new passion of mine. Fun & addictive.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I hear you. There are guys smaller than me that can clean some impressive weight (way more than me) because they have developed a solid hip pop. I just try to muscle the damn weight up. But I'm working on it
Yes, it's all about that hip pop and extension. I'm completely missing the shrug and am too far forward with the weight when I clean (thus lifting with my back and kind of reverse curling it up). I'm able to muscle up a 200lb clean and press with horrible form, I can only imagine what will happen when I fix this.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
If you're competing in a weightlifting meet, you can either power or full clean the bar off the floor. Just depends on which lift is stronger for you. For the jerk part, if you're maxing, it would not be optimal to immediately transition into a push jerk. You can throw more weight overhead by resetting in the front rack and then either power or split jerking. If you're talking about within the context of a WOD, like, say, Grace, power clean to push jerk is actually the best way to perform the movement. It's not "wrong" in any context, just not optimal in some. Hope that helps.