Muscle when tensing. ONLY tensing.

Palmerfit

Awards
Hey guys,

I've been training seriously for about 5-6 months now with a few health hiccups in between.

My concern is I've been going in with the right goals and what I feel is the right strategies but I seem to still be same old me.

I'm definitely stronger. And when I tense the muscle is good-thick even-but I wanted reasonably defined muscles by now.. And I thought I'd get em.

Here's the mains of each workout I'm worried about.. I focus on my stretch and contraction and am conscious about technique through each movement.

Please $&@%#€€ help!

Stats:
Female
54kg
23 years old

Day1
Chest/biceps 3 sets each, 8-12 reps, at 12+ I increase weight.
Benching 25kg.
Incline 15kg
Dips
Curling bar plus 5kg
DB curls 11kg
Hammer curls 7.5kg

Day2
Squats 2 exercises
Isolate biceps again 2-3 exercises

Day3
Lat pull down 45kg
Seated row 40kg
Bent over row 20kg
Seated shoulder press 30kg
DB Press 11kg
Unilateral raise 6kg
Front raise 10kg

Super sets on the last set of each compound movement.

Rest day then the whole cycle again.
If the highlights of each day aren't enough please ask for more info.
Diet is ON CHECK.

What's wrong with my workout?

Palmerfit

Awards
I'm not sure if it's obvious but the bench presses, rows etc are done with oly bar

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This doesn't really tell us much. You dont have any periodization laid out or even how many sets or reps you do for that matter. The goal should be to increase the work progressively over time. You can either do that by increasing the total volume through adding more sets and reps (to a certain degree) or increasing the weight you use for those sets. One thing i see is you do more bicep isolation than squats. Id look into a proven program if i were you. What exactly are you goals? And if you're really not seeing results, it's likely that your diet really isn't in check.

Palmerfit

Awards
Hoping I wouldn't have to map out my entire workout - I only included the exercises from each workout that play the biggest role. Generally aim for 8+ reps and when I can comfortable hit 12+ I shift it up in weight. Sorry for the lack of detail here.. I'm just looking for help

white_lie

Awards
  • Established
Approx what body fat do you think you're at?
If you've got muscle there but there's no definition, it's usually because of higher body fat. That said, at 54kgs I wouldn't imagine you're carrying much excess.
But you can't expect to build a lot of muscle in 5-6 months of somewhat irregular training...especially a female.

Palmerfit

Awards
Approx what body fat do you think you're at?
If you've got muscle there but there's no definition, it's usually because of higher body fat. That said, at 54kgs I wouldn't imagine you're carrying much excess.
But you can't expect to build a lot of muscle in 5-6 months of somewhat irregular training...especially a female.
I wouldn't give myself any gold stars for bf %, I'd say it's around 12-14%.
It's not the bf or the extra layer coated on top that I'm worried about.. I feel like Ive been really pushing myself the past 4 months consistently but I'm missing something? Thinking back to 8-12 week challenges I recall the gains were physically 'obvious' .. Should just switch things up?
Hanys FST-7?

white_lie

Awards
  • Established
12-14% is very low for a female...

If you've been training the same way for 4 months, then change it up.
Are you pushing yourself to get the last couple of reps of each set out?

Palmerfit

Awards
Maybe it's those last few reps that are crucial here but I go to failure so I'm hoping that's where superset a would come in to save the day - should I also do partials once I've hit my max reps?
I really want a fuller chest and thicker delts that kinda make you question whether or not I'll fit through the doorway.

Palmerfit

Awards
I tried posting some pics up so you could see what we're working with but they're not working, sorry guys

white_lie

Awards
  • Established
And you say you're not defined? Get out of here girl!

Just stick at it, stay consistent. Maybe (maybe!) change up the routine but it sounds like you just need a bit more patience

Palmerfit

Awards
And you say you're not defined? Get out of here girl!

Just stick at it, stay consistent. Maybe (maybe!) change up the routine but it sounds like you just need a bit more patience
You're good.. But not that good ;)
Hit me with the no mercy guys. If here's something you think I should be doing during or around my training sessions please share.

Palmerfit

Awards
Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
Look into Tabata as well. Great change of pace from the usual workouts. May give you some good progress.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's very simple what you need to do. You've only been training for six months. There's only so much you can do in six months. Keep working hard and learning and you'll continue to improve. This is a very long term endeavor.

Palmerfit

Awards
Look into Tabata as well. Great change of pace from the usual workouts. May give you some good progress.
Cardio isn't my cup of tea but you're on the money if you manage that yourself.
Trying to bulk a bit and add muscle.. Mass muscle!

Palmerfit

Awards
It's very simple what you need to do. You've only been training for six months. There's only so much you can do in six months. Keep working hard and learning and you'll continue to improve. This is a very long term endeavor.
I hear you babe.. As painful as I realise it is :)
Supps that may help though?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hear you babe.. As painful as I realise it is :)
Supps that may help though?
The usual, creatine, a good preworkout, protein powder if you need more than you're eating. The best supplement for a bulking diet is usually more food.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The usual, creatine, a good preworkout, protein powder if you need more than you're eating. The best supplement for a bulking diet is usually more food.
This.

I'd go ahead and start +500 kcals over your maintenance for a few weeks and see if the scale/mirror changes.