Worst training mistake you've made

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
People, especially newbies, are always asking "What's the best exercise for xxxxxx?" Or "Trying to bulk (or cut) help me with my routine".

What may be equally, if not more important, would be for them to hear about some mistakes we've made. Some form of training that slowed our progress, or God forbid, cut into our gains. Throwing myself under the bus, I will start:

Last Spring I decided since I am never going to be HUGE (since I am all natural), that instead I was going to stay as buff as I can be yet get as ripped as possible. I started doing long sessions of cardio like a mad man and went for more of a higher rep lower weight program as far as lifting goes.

Did I get lean and ripped? Yes, but at the expense of a lot of good muscle that took years to develop.

I've since then changed my ways and am back to lifting heavy and just doing sprints on the arc climber, not hour long sessions, and thankfully the good pounds are starting to pile back on.

Next?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I decided that I was going to incorporate deadlifts into my leg day workout, but didn't know how to do them. I figured I knew how to do it and, without bracing my core or looking up how to properly do a deadlift, proceeded to pull up 110lbs purely with my lower back muscles. Needless to say I couldn't bend over to pick things up for a few days after that.

Like these kinds of training mistakes? Haha.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rushing back from my pec injuries time after Time after time. I've been 100% healthy to bench top end weight with no pec support maybe 8-10 weeks in the past 13 months. Some things need time to heal. It was the same for me when I got a hamstring strain sophomore year of high school. Tweak Tweak Tweak for nine months before it finally calmed down.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my first few years, probably the same mistake most guys still make- working arms too much.

KidIcarus

KidIcarus

Awards
Hitting PR on bench press (245lbs) on Monday, squat on Wednesday (320lbs), deadlift on Friday (405lbs), and then running for an hour at sub seven-minute mile pace on Saturday, and then trying to squat heavy again on Monday and pulling a muscle that knocked me out for about a month and still counting... Physical therapist has finally cleared me to train legs... I now deadlift 135lbs and tomorrow, and I hope to squat 135 tomorrow if I'm lucky. I still can't run. The weights I had lifted that week were close to ones that I had been lifting previously, it wasn't a big jump or anything. It's just I did too much without giving my body time to recover. I should have rested after an intense week of PRing. I'm now training legs with a buddy who is to keep me from pushing myself too hard, so that I don't re-injure myself.

NewbieGainz

NewbieGainz

Awards
Not taking rest days, they are as important, if not more so than actual training days!

NewbieGainz

NewbieGainz

Awards
I found that out the hard way too Kidlcarus. But, its something I'll never underestimate again :)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The boring version of "if you aren't squatting, you aren't growing" is if you aren't resting, you aren't growing. Time off is absolutely necessary.

medinacirilo

medinacirilo

Awards
  • Established
In high school, my coach preached the "bigger faster stronger" program. I followed it and got "stronger" but I added my own stuff like squatting 2-3 times a week, arms almost every day, sometimes 2-a-days, and maybe ONE rest day! Now I do a basic, 4-day "bro" routine and feel better, feel like I actually worked the intended body part, and am seeing just as much progress! I hit arms once a week (with their respective group) and they're bigger and more detailed then ever. I don't want to say that less is more, but I've learned the importance of rest, and muscle contraction/focus. Most of my lifts are 4x8-10, with slow negatives and good squeeze

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not taking rest days, they are as important, if not more so than actual training days!
I agree with this, and while others may see what I'm about to say as contradictory, I think the two go hand-in-hand. Not being consistent.

In the end, consistency is the key. Consistency in working out. Consistency in diet. Consistency in rest. Consistency.

jj26meu

Awards
Allowing the leg press machine to come all the way down to where my thighs were resting against my chest causing a bruised rib. Out for 2 weeks before full recovery.

Jriddik

Awards
Let my core out going for a deadlift PR (700lbs).... Dealing with the aftermath of my herniated disc surgery now (surgery was 18 days ago)...... Lesson learned KEEP YOUR CORE TIGHT

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Being a cardio bunny for almost 2 years.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Testing (my then) current 1RM on bench, followed by heavy barbell upright rows, tore my labrum

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doing the same thing over and over and over for years and years wondering why I'm not making any progress.....

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
Not incorporating regular deloads into my training. I now deload every fourth week, and the big 4 lifts have all went up significantly in the last 7 months

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Deloads are very important for the heavy lifts for sure

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Worst training mistake was when I first started. Was following routines out of muscle and fitness. YIKES! My joints were fried 24/7 and I felt like complete ****

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Want sleeve busting arms?..screw biceps..Train Triceps!!..I love Tri's..

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
Want sleeve busting arms?..screw biceps..Train Triceps!!..I love Tri's..
Or train both ;) my favorite way to start off a killer arm day is supersets of close grip bench press and standing BB curls. Crazy pump right off the bat.

Along the lines of this thread though, my biggest was stopping leg training after I stopped training with a personal trainer when I first started. Seriously impeded my leg size and strength. Doing everything I can to catch up!!

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Or train both ;) my favorite way to start off a killer arm day is supersets of close grip bench press and standing BB curls. Crazy pump right off the bat.

Along the lines of this thread though, my biggest was stopping leg training after I stopped training with a personal trainer when I first started. Seriously impeded my leg size and strength. Doing everything I can to catch up!!
I don't care much for bi's my arm size comes from my tri's :D..I was also a man who skipped many a leg day when starting Lol